Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 glt for sale fife scotland

Views : 1638

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2010, 17:15   #1
gary austin

Thumbs up 240 glt for sale fife scotland

240 glt for sale auto 88k i have had this in my garage for 3-4 years now but i have decided that i will never have the time to get it prestine so i have decided to sell it ,it is totally complete with some light scratches on paint work where iether it has been driven along a hedge or keyed at some point it also has some bubling on the rear arches and a nick in the pasenger arch, it will need a steering rack which will come with the car .It has no mot but wont take much to get one, the breaks have a covering of rust but will clean up due to lying so long,it will need a good tune up /service as it hasnt had one for a while ,it has history which i have in my house and 2 keys it also has a rare electric factory sunroof.i have also 4 doors 2 wings from another silver glt which i will throw in aswell. i am open to sensible offers and it will have to be trailored away due to no mot and leaking power steering.I am located in kelty in fife ky4 0bd many thanks gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00230.jpg (212.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00231.jpg (123.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00232.jpg (257.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00233.jpg (172.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00234.jpg (234.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00235.jpg (151.2 KB, 56 views)
gary austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 15:17   #2
gary austin

Default 240 glt

here are some pics of the car before it went in the garage 3 years ago,it curently just needs a good wash and some autoglym on the trims to look like this again ,call me or pm me if you are interested on 07900130143 cheers gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA400762.jpg (300.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg SA400763.jpg (246.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg SA400764 (Large).JPG (143.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg SA400765.jpg (250.0 KB, 53 views)
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 16:02   #3
turbotroll

Hi Gary,

Nice looking car. Could you give me some idea of price? I am in the Midlands so would need to factor in collection costs. Many thanks.
turbotroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 19:49   #4
turbotroll

Many thanks Gary. However I missed the fact it is an automatic and I'm after a manual. Good luck with the sale.
turbotroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 18:06   #5
gary austin

Thumbs up 240 glt

hi just to say im looking for around £500 ovno with the spares included cheers gary
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 16:24   #6
gary austin

Default 240 glt

cant believe no one is interested!!
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 16:34   #7
Jaymz
N3RD

I don't think its the fact noone is intersted i think its more due to your location, you're halfway between glasgow and dundee IIRC. Thats one hell of trek for most members, especially as she needs trailering too. it's a shame, she's a nice looking car and certainly a bargain, doesnt look like she would take much to recommision. I'm sure someone will come along shortly and rescue her!

1997 V70 2.5 20v CD 170bhp called eVolvobot
Showroom Thread || Project Thread || Volvo artwork thread
Jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 17:09   #8
gary austin

hi thanks jaymz yes your right ill just have to wait someone will come along cheers gary
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 17:31   #9
capt jack
VOC Member

Default 240 glt

Funny but I was looking at this post just this week. I'm torn between finding a good 164 and a silver 240GLT auto as my next project car, so I'm the sort of buyer who could be interested. But as the previous poster rightly points out, you're a long way away! That's 90% of the UK population - including me - that doesn't live anywhere near you! It's asking a lot for someone to travel hundreds of miles to see an unroadworthy car with no tax, no MoT, and that needs basic steering and braking repairs.

I'd certainly travel maybe 20 or 30 miles to see a car like yours based on the information you've given, so ask yourself, how many potential 240 GLT nuts are there within 30 miles of your address? In fact I'm 250 miles from you. It would cost me at least £50 in LPG plus a day off work just to come see the car. To trailer it home would cost over £300, maybe £400, so buying your car would actually cost me closer to £1000. For someone in the Midlands or the South East the total bill would probably be nearer £1500.

And there are reasonably smart roadworthy 240GLTs with MoT and tax on Ebay right now for under £500!

I don't want to appear impolite, but the current photos don't really do much for your car, and the pictures from 3 years ago are just that - pictures from 3 years ago. For comparison, I look pretty young and smart on our wedding photos, but they're a few years old too, and I don't suppose Cheryl Cole would give me a second glance now!

If I did come up, I guess as you mention that the brakes and steering are not up to scratch, and that the car needs a good service, chances are I couldn't drive the car, or even hear the engine running!

Please may I make some practical suggestions? Think of it from your prospective buyer's position!

1. Wash and polish the car, and in a good light, take some good digital pics of the exterior, the engine bay, the interior, the inside of the boot, and the wheels. Get some close-ups of any rust or bodywork damage.

2. Get the engine running - an oil-change at least, and drive the car up and down what looks to be your private driveway to cleran the brakes up a bit. Give an honest account of the state of the tyres and exhaust, and whether or not the autobox works properly. These are things that a prospective buyer will worry about, because they could turn out to be expensive urgent fixes.

3. If possible and as you've got the spare, fix the steering rack, or get a price for getting it done and post that up on here too.

4. Put the car in for an MoT. If the car is basically roadworthy you are allowed to drive it on the road to a booked MoT test. If it passes - great - and you've just added to it's value, if not at least you'll be able to post an honest list of what the buyer is likely to need to do.

5. Give as much detail in your post as to the car's history and condition. Be 100% honest and open.

Think of it this way - try to give as much information as a likely buyer will need in order to make his mind up without travelling to see the car.

If your car was presented like this then I for one would definitely be interested!

I suppose what it comes down to is that it doesn't look as though you're bothered about selling the car - so why would anyone be bothered about buying it? Which is a shame because I'll bet it's actually a pretty good car. If you don't sell on here, you'll end up putting on Ebay, being mucked around by some bargain-hunter, and probably then scrapping it for £150 when the 'buyer' doesn't show.

Invest a bit of cash and some elbow grease!

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Apr 9th, 2010 at 17:47.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 17:42   #10
RF82
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Funny but I was looking at this post just this week. I'm torn between finding a good 164 and a silver 240GLT auto as my next project car, so I'm the sort of buyer who could be interested. But as the previous poster rightly points out, you're a long way away! That's 90% of the UK population - including me - that doesn't live anywhere near you! It's asking a lot for someone to travel hundreds of miles to see an unroadworthy car with no tax, no MoT, and that needs basic steering and braking repairs.

I'd certainly travel maybe 20 or 30 miles to see a car like yours based on the information you've given, so ask yourself, how many potential 240 GLT nuts are there within 30 miles of your address? In fact I'm 250 miles from you. It would cost me at least £50 in LPG plus a day off work just to come see the car. To trailer it home would cost over £300, maybe £400, so buying your car would actually cost me closer to £1000. For someone in the Midlands or the South East the total bill would probably be nearer £1500.

And there are reasonably smart roadworthy 240GLTs with MoT and tax on Ebay right now for under £500!

I don't want to appear impolite, but the current photos don't really do much for your car, and the pictures from 3 years ago are just that - pictures from 3 years ago. For comparison, I look pretty young and smart on our wedding photos, but they're a few years old too, and I don't suppose Cheryl Cole would give me a second glance now!

If I did come up, I guess as you mention that the brakes and steering are not up to scratch, and that the car needs a good service, chances are I couldn't drive the car, or even hear the engine running!

Please may I make some practical suggestions? Think of it from your prospective buyer's position!

1. Wash and polish the car, and in a good light, take some good digital pics of the exterior, the engine bay, the interior, the inside of the boot, and the wheels. Get some close-ups of any rust or bodywork damage.

2. Get the engine running - an oil-change at least, and drive the car up and down what looks to be your private driveway to cleran the brakes up a bit. Give an honest account of the state of the tyres and exhaust, and whether or not the autobox works properly. These are things that a prospective buyer will worry about, because they could turn out to be expensive urgent fixes.

3. If possible and as you've got the spare, fix the steering rack, or get a price for getting it done and post that up on here too.

4. Put the car in for an MoT. If the car is basically roadworthy you are allowed to drive it on the road to a booked MoT test. If it passes - great - and you've just added to it's value, if not at least you'll be able to post an honest list of what the buyer is likely to need to do.

5. Give as much detail in your post as to the car's history and condition. Be 100% honest and open.

Think of it this way - try to give as much information as a likely buyer will need in order to make his mind up without travelling to see the car.

If your car was presented like this then I for one would definitely be interested!

I suppose what it comes down to is that it doesn't look as though you're bothered about selling the car - so why would anyone be bothered about buying it? Which is a shame because I'll bet it's actually a pretty good car. If you don't sell on here, you'll end up putting on Ebay, being mucked around by some bargain-hunter, and probably then scrapping it for £150 when the 'buyer' doesn't show.

Invest a bit of cash and some elbow grease!

Cheers

Jack
I agree 100% with everything said in this post. I`m sure the car is great, but from my experience, people like a detailed honest description, with a list of both the good and bad things about the car.

This is a good example IMO http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

I`d not be put off buying a car with no MOT and driving to a booked appointment a a testing centre, but only if the car was roadworthy. Unfortunatly, as you have stated, the steering rack is u/s, so that wouldn`t be possible.

Good luck with the sale though, I`m sure tyou`ll get a buyer up near to you soon.

Rob
RF82 is offline   Reply With Quote