Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 1 : Scooby 0

Views : 3345

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 20:18   #61
Ross9
Master Member

Default RE: Volvo 1 : Scooby 0

I think it's plain to see I wasn't agitated at all, the fact I was called a tosser and a self righteous ****, yet replied without hirling insults back, due to the fact I couldnt care less, says it all.

I think perhaps some sort of psychiatric evaluation should be set up for you Andy ;) , as you seem to hurl abuse, and then say you dont knwo why the person on the recieving end was getting upset, even when they werent. And then claim it was "good natured banter" in an attempt to clear your conscience? slate? I dunno, your actions are beyond me,I believe a local term "wired to a ginger bottle" could be made apply here.

I've endured many grandad jokes over the Rover, the majority of my m8's who I do track days and the like wit drive Subaru's (farmers cars), Pulsar's (hardly the best lookers), Modified Skylines ( a tad tarty) etc, never from a Volvo driver though funnily enough, I believe they are firmly in the same camp actually, if not worse, image wise. I happily play along, after all I have the track and 1/4 mile times to prove it's not a doddery old persons car, so why not take the fun, if you cant laugh at yourself it's a sorry day. As you can see from the above comments in brackets, all cars have their Jibe-able points for fun.

Apologies to Bob here, I havent made any reference to the point of the thread in this post, but then I'm being given nothing to refer to from "the opposition" as they refuse, or cannot, offer any debate after my last post regarding the original point, which sadly was many posts ago now. I could just cease to reply back at all, but I'm afraid I might be a tad to stubborn for that, lol.

Or maybe I just want Andy and Somesay to admit they were wrong, seeing as we all know it anyway ;) lol

Ross

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 11:48   #62
somesy

My apologies to anyone offended by my previous posts/wordings.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 23:18   #63
Al115
Premier Member

Now that's over, we can all be friends again. Everyone round to mine for cake and tea?? :-)

Alastair
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 01:20   #64
Ross9
Master Member

unhealthy carry out food, and alcohol may provide a better response.

As for all being friends, as if the world was that easy, I think it only fair certain people learn they cant just utter a few words and absolve themselves, I wish it was that easy myself a lot, but instead should learn to live with their actions.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 07:50   #65
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default A ****ing contest - oh dear....

Well I think this thread will run and run, but at least one poster is talking about comparing like with like - I've been looking vainly to change my car (850R) for something better in all aspects and have tried most of the vehicles mentioned, apart from the T4.
The combination of speed, mid-range acceleration and interior size/comfort cannot be matched by a Scooby or an EVO, or a Merc or a MG or the new V70R or a Mini Cooper S, or...etc. etc.

The Beemer 5 series can do it and so can the XJ V8 Sport - on paper anyway, since I can't see the point in spending about £30 on top of the pathetic trade in to get a car that may be newer but is only slightly better in some respects, equal in others and worse in a few.

I've even tried out and out performance vehicles like Caterhams, but frankly they're for brave young - and cold and wet - men, not 50+ me.

I may have to resign myself to considering my current car the best car I'll own since as age advances I'll have to get a Kia Pride or whatever and drive at 35 miles an hour in the middle of the road.

Horrifying thought, though perhaps not as horrifying as my present driving style....
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 08:37   #66
v6en
Master Member

Default RE: A ****ing contest - oh dear....

hahaha i'm sure you won't have to resort to pottering about in a kia pride lol :)

why change your car if you're perfectly happy with it? the 850R's are tidy cars ;)

jacq.
v6en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 20:45   #67
andy1

grow up ross you soft pr*ck, somesy apologised to you (god knows why, he summed you up to a tee, as your last post has just confirmed) just accept his apology with the good grace it deserves and get on with your life.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 21:53   #68
tonyflynn1

Default RE: A ****ing contest - oh dear....

I, like you Simon am looking for a replacement for the T5, sadly it looks like a Lexus GS300 for me, I love the Volvo, it's class leading in so many ways but the reliabilty is nowhere near that of the premium Japanese makes. I'll miss the seats though - they really are and always have been class leading. Not meant to be inflammatory but just my 2cents worth.
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 00:07   #69
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

For God's sake man-grow up!

Didn't you read what Bob wrote?

And as i haven't passed comment on the old Scooby v Volvo thang, i'd like to say "IN MY OPINION", that i'd Pick a Volvo over a Jap car any day-it doesn't matter how much plastic or how many bonnet vents a car has, you can't beat long lasting quality, sturdy build quality and RELIABLE power. A Volvo, no matter what model, was never a born and bred a rally car-so to pretend it's anything else is stupid-but after going out (and loving every minute of it!) in Simon Lintons 850R (at Crooked Billet), and my mates Impreza Turbo thingy, I know what i would pick...and it begins with the letter V... Oh, and even my GF would rather me have a T5 or an R over an "Im-poser", er, i mean "preza" ;) And no digs about her either.

I like my Jap car's too-im touched the T5's etc are thought of so highly by the old Scoob owners. So lets call it a day. Anyway-you's guys are lucky. I still drive an M plate 440 2.0i, that makes 60mph in about 12 seconds!(mind you, i do have half of Halfords ICE section in the boot!). Oh, and big wheels. Oh, and a massive beer gut.

I think, after reading this all for the first time tonight, that two people in here need to do a bit of apologising-even if the intentions were good, they have been very hostile. It's not nice to be verbaly abused-so considerations next time i think.

All in all though, a very interesting piece-and if Simon Linton wants to swap his R for my 440-send me an email! ;) Thanks guys, you've made me laugh!

Peace, Dan M
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote