Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrical problem 940

Views : 15344

Replies : 314

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2020, 19:52   #211
Ammorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Good. Did you happen to notice if the rev counter was steady or bouncing around when it was running rough?
It was bouncing as usual. It’s only on cold start the tachometer goes to 1500rpm and then goes down to 650-750rpm and after 2sec it bounces and rough idle
Ammorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 11:26   #212
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorack View Post
It was bouncing as usual. It’s only on cold start the tachometer goes to 1500rpm and then goes down to 650-750rpm and after 2sec it bounces and rough idle
What happens if you bring the revs up to 1500rpm using the throttle? Does the tacho remain steady?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 11:37   #213
Ammorack

Quote:
What happens if you bring the revs up to 1500rpm using the throttle? Does the tacho remain steady?
To 1500rpm the tachometer remains steady. It happens randomly if tachometer is steady or not on 1500rpm. Yesterday tachometer was fine. Could drive fine. Still hesitation if I floor the gas pedal.

So that test with 1500rpm with manually opening throttle. Yes. It remains steady.
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 11:52   #214
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Still hesitation if I floor the gas pedal.
What do you mean "still" - you've never mentioned hesitation before?

Is it manual or auto? Seem to recall you said it was manual? If so, there should be an inspection plate on the fron end of the bellhousing below the rear end of the engine. If so, get the car on ramps, remove this plate and clean round the edge of the flywheel where the holes/gaps are for the CPS pick up to work on. It's a long shot but i'm wondering if a combination of oil, dirt etc is causing a small problem to how the CPS reads the flywheel timing holes. They are cloer to the gearbox than the ring gear on the flywheel so cleaning it isn't goign to be easy, might be easier to remove the starter motor for access.

Alternatively, remember those three small lengths of wire i mentioned for the TPS? Refit those but leave the red/white one out. Try that to see if the idle improves and if it now performs (mostly) as it should.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 12:06   #215
Ammorack

Quote:
What do you mean "still" - you've never mentioned hesitation before?

Is it manual or auto? Seem to recall you said it was manual? If so, there should be an inspection plate on the fron end of the bellhousing below the rear end of the engine. If so, get the car on ramps, remove this plate and clean round the edge of the flywheel where the holes/gaps are for the CPS pick up to work on. It's a long shot but i'm wondering if a combination of oil, dirt etc is causing a small problem to how the CPS reads the flywheel timing holes. They are cloer to the gearbox than the ring gear on the flywheel so cleaning it isn't goign to be easy, might be easier to remove the starter motor for access.

Alternatively, remember those three small lengths of wire i mentioned for the TPS? Refit those but leave the red/white one out. Try that to see if the idle improves and if it now performs (mostly) as it should.
Hesitation is there with rough idle.
It’s m47 gearbox

So for the CPS. Removing that bell housing. If it breaks. I’m cucked?
I’ll try and see how it goes. Can try to use compressed air sown the hole to CPS and see

Last edited by Ammorack; Apr 8th, 2020 at 12:14.
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 12:30   #216
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hesitation is there with rough idle.
It’s m47 gearbox

So for the CPS. Removing that bell housing. If it breaks. I’m cucked?
I’ll try and see how it goes. Can try to use compressed air sown the hole to CPS and see
NO! Don't remove the bellhousing! Don't even touch the CPS either!

Forget that idea.

Instead, find the cable the CPS plugs into on the cars loom and check that carefully for any breaks/damage, you should know where to find this seeing as you renewed the CPS recently.

Old Apr 8th, 2020, 12:40   #217
TonyS9
Premier Member

The dirt would have to be magnetic to mess with the CPS. If you can find the connector just check it for contunity, but there are 3 wires 1 is the shield ground, the other 2 are the coil which you want to check for resistance while you move the lead around.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 12:51   #218
Ammorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
The dirt would have to be magnetic to mess with the CPS. If you can find the connector just check it for contunity, but there are 3 wires 1 is the shield ground, the other 2 are the coil which you want to check for resistance while you move the lead around.
Its 160ohm on CPS somewhere within range?
Old Apr 8th, 2020, 13:31   #219
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The dirt would have to be magnetic to mess with the CPS.
Just like clutch dust in fact! Also by it's inherently near-identical nature, brake dust which can create umpteen kinds of havoc with an ABS system is if loads up on a reluctor ring or sensor tip. The CPS should be new in this case so you really needed to explain that better Tony. Ammo has measured the resistance of the sensor, not the loom which is what will need doing to make sure there are no breaks in it.

Anyway, thanks for volunteering to take over!

Ammo - i'll leave you in Tonys capable hands................ good luck!

Old Apr 8th, 2020, 13:51   #220
Ammorack

Quote:
I didn’t quite understand what you meant there with moving around the lead while measuring those 2 wires that goes to the coil. Moving around the loom and check resistance on coil leads. Or Measuring ohm on coil while I wiggle that loom that connects to CPS? Sorry. I misunderstood this

3,78kohm on coil leads
3,74kohm on CPS loom

3,97kohm from negative coil lead to Black and red wire on CPS loom.

5,9ohm from positive coil leads to black and red wire on CPS loom

Last edited by Ammorack; Apr 8th, 2020 at 14:31.

Tags
electricity, issues