Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is required to Change from standard audio to premium

Views : 654

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2022, 23:14   #1
tig124

Default What is required to Change from standard audio to premium

I eventually got my new Volvo C30! And it flies.

Now that I have had a chance to play with the stereo I have figured out its the standard variant, i.e. CD/AUX/Radio, with a 3.5mm aux jack Which is great, because I can at least plug in my MP3 player, and play tunes! - However what would be great would be to have the premium audio setup in there (At least the main system, so that I then have USB connectivity to allow full control of an MP3 player).

Questions:
1) How easy is this to do?
2) What parts would be required to be changed?
3) I guess this would need reconfiguring each unit with the ECU?
4) Does anyone have part numbers for the premium sound system modules?
5) Is there any useful schematic/block diagrams online that shows each system configuration with part numbers?
(The later two are more for finding the required parts from FleaBay)

Thanks
Tom
tig124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 08:46   #2
iainmd

I can't answer all of your questions but what I can say is that it's really difficult to make any changes to the audio systems in these cars. Frankly I'd recommend installing the rear tweeters and leaving it at that. I've done that on our V50 as the speaker wiring is already there and the sound is clearer.

Making the changes you speak of will be incredibly difficult as Volvo dealers won't re-code second hand parts to a car, only new, so expense would probably be more than your car is worth sadly.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 09:44   #3
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

The wiring harnesses are also different with the different audio options, I looked into doing an upgrade and gave up. In the end I fitted a BluePower radio. Sadly it wasn't the one-stop solution it claims to be and can't be recommended.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 11:14   #4
iainmd

After similar requirements this is what I've done on our V50 with the basic audio:

1. Added rear door tweeters to convert from 6 speakers to 8.
2. Added Alpine EZI-DAB-BT (Same as a Pure 600) plumbed into the Aux-in on a Brodit mount
3. Added a wireless charging phone holder on a Brodit mount and a ball socket

Works well for me as I get DAB radio, Bluetooth hands-free calling, Bluetooth streaming media using Android driving mode in my case for Spotify, Google Maps, TuneIn radio etc.

Granted it's not the most integrated looking solution but it works well and all the wiring and control units are hidden away behind the centre console and centre tunnel.

Photos here and here if useful.

I'm not a fan of wires so was keen that any were hidden as best I could and that the phone would charge and connect wirelessly without plugging in a cable to it.

Last edited by iainmd; Mar 25th, 2022 at 11:34.
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 11:29   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig124 View Post

Now that I have had a chance to play with the stereo I have figured out its the standard variant, i.e. CD/AUX/Radio, with a 3.5mm aux jack Which is great, because I can at least plug in my MP3 player, and play tunes! - However what would be great would be to have the premium audio setup in there (At least the main system, so that I then have USB connectivity to allow full control of an MP3 player).

Questions:
5) Is there any useful schematic/block diagrams online that shows each system configuration with part numbers?

Thanks
Tom
It is only a factory option so not feasible , however what you have is a pretty good powerful system . There is a 6 CD changer listed in the accessory catalogue .
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 13:32   #6
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig124 View Post

Questions:

Thanks
Tom
to manage this in the most cost effective way, reduce stress and make it possible
find a C30 with the engine, spec and trim level you want With the Audio system you would like,
Buy that C30
sell your existing C30
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 13:35   #7
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
After similar requirements this is what I've done on our V50 with the basic audio:

1. Added rear door tweeters to convert from 6 speakers to 8.
2. Added Alpine EZI-DAB-BT (Same as a Pure 600) plumbed into the Aux-in on a Brodit mount
3. Added a wireless charging phone holder on a Brodit mount and a ball socket

Works well for me as I get DAB radio, Bluetooth hands-free calling, Bluetooth streaming media using Android driving mode in my case for Spotify, Google Maps, TuneIn radio etc.

Granted it's not the most integrated looking solution but it works well and all the wiring and control units are hidden away behind the centre console and centre tunnel.

Photos here and here if useful.

I'm not a fan of wires so was keen that any were hidden as best I could and that the phone would charge and connect wirelessly without plugging in a cable to it.
how are you finding the Alpine Ez-dab-bt unit ?
been pondering one or the pure 600 for the DAB + handsfree phone use
(even more so now with the law change effective today on mobile usage when driving_)
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 22:42   #8
tig124

Thanks to all who have replied -

I did have one of the DAB modules for one of my older cars, but ditched it as DAB around West Oxfordshire it pretty cruddy!

However now that I have my C30, and have taken it for a drive today, I am pretty impressed with the standard audio setup (and can live with the aux in and the need to manually set the album i want to play)
tig124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 14:05   #9
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
how are you finding the Alpine Ez-dab-bt unit ?
been pondering one or the pure 600 for the DAB + handsfree phone use
(even more so now with the law change effective today on mobile usage when driving_)
It's very good. I've had both the Pure 600 and the Alpine EZI-DAB-BT which are exactly the same. Started with the pure then bought the alpine when I needed a replacement film antenna and couldn't get as a separate part.

Call quality is decent, dab is fine and the Bluetooth streaming is used for audio/nav etc from my phone. I'm not sure if they make them anymore but would certainly recommend them.

The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:

Tags
infotainment