Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Traction Control Temporarily Off

Views : 2462

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2017, 10:13   #11
domhart10
Volvo S40

thats amazing, thanks for that nice to know what was actually behind that message rather than just assuming

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 22:55   #12
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Just found this

Quote:
Some facts:
TC is mainly intended for use when moving off on slippery surfaces at speeds up to approximately 60 km/h (37 mph).
At speeds between 60 -100 km/h TC control has a limited function. The TC function is not active at speeds above 100 km/h (62 mph).
For the TC to be activated there must be a speed difference between the wheels.
The speed difference required varies depending on the car type, driving situation and vehicle speed.
In principle, the higher the speed of the car the greater the difference in speed between the wheels must be for TC to be activated.
The BCM continuously calculates how much the brakes are used and calculates the temperature of the brake discs of the front wheels.
If the calculated temperature exceeds approximately 450°C, TC is shut off to prevent the brakes overheating.
A DTC is stored in the BCM, the general warning lamp lights and a text message is displayed in the DIM.
The function is reactivated and the warning lamp in the DIM goes out when the temperature falls below 300°C.
Note that high brake temperature can also be caused by hard use of the brake system, for example extended braking when driving with a trailer on long downhill stretches.
• TC is disactivated when the brake pedal is depressed.
From this

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/S40MY2005-Brakes.pdf

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 09:39   #13
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

So did I read it correctly that reported temperature is the "calculated" value not the actual, similar to i.e. current fuel consumption?
How would that work? Based on amount of time pedal is pressed and the force of press + speed of car? seem pretty inaccurate, if thats really true...
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 13:57   #14
dme123
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
So did I read it correctly that reported temperature is the "calculated" value not the actual, similar to i.e. current fuel consumption?
How would that work? Based on amount of time pedal is pressed and the force of press + speed of car? seem pretty inaccurate, if thats really true...
That's exactly how it works. It's actually very easy to work out and accurate. You know the kinetic energy of the vehicle at any given speed, you then use the brakes and take it down to a new speed at which you can again calculate it's kinetic energy. You can thus work out exactly the change in kinetic energy of the vehicle, and very neary all of that kinetic energy will have been turned into heat in the brakes. You also know the exact mass and material of the brake discs, so you can work out exactly the temperature rise that much energy would cause.

You can also easily know how much heat the brake discs will give up to the atmosphere for a given speed and external air temperature, both factors known to the ECU, to calculate temperature drops in the disc.

You could even monitor engine braking and compensate for that.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's accurate to within 10%.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dme123 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 15:32   #15
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post

You could even monitor engine braking and compensate for that.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's accurate to within 10%.
Wow, thats an interesting piece of information. Would not suspect that at all, thanks.

But then, assuming it works as you say - how does it detect difference between normal and seized caliper for example? It should only know when and how much force the brake pedal is pressed so if pads for example are not retracted on one side, it should think its "released" no?
Also - it would mean that BCM would not know the difference between standard and racing brakes that cools down much quicker and dont heat up as much so would trigger false warnings?
Would having actual temp readout even in ABS sensors not make more sense?
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 15:51   #16
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Also - it would mean that BCM would not know the difference between standard and racing brakes that cools down much quicker and dont heat up as much so would trigger false warnings?
Would having actual temp readout even in ABS sensors not make more sense?
Hmmm thats what I was thinking, if I upgrade my brake calipers and disc this is obviously going to throw out these calculations.

Its almost like the car could do with a traction control switch off and on

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 16:49   #17
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Hmmm thats what I was thinking, if I upgrade my brake calipers and disc this is obviously going to throw out these calculations.

Its almost like the car could do with a traction control switch off and on
*cough* de-nanny mod *cough*...