Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight washer not working

Views : 10458

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2016, 00:11   #11
paddyred
Master Member

The pump failed on mine. If you cant hear the pump turn on then its a pump failure. I paid about £8 for a second hand one and then you can pull the wheel off, take the arch liner off and you will see the pump in there. Pull it out and put the new one in.

If you can hear the pump then you might have a pipe off. Lift each washer up as it will pull out of the bumper on the little plunger its on and get someone to turn the sprayers on. If fluid it coming out at high pressure then you will need new spray nozzles as these have a sprung valve on that opens when the pressure is high so the washers extend and then squirt on the headlights. If no fluid is coming out and you can hear the pump then you have a pipe off. Find where the water is coming from and reconnect the pipe. If you cant find a pipe off then pull the nozzle off the washer. It will pull out of the piston and then pull the washer stalk again. If you get a low pressure flow then the pump might be dodgey.

Last edited by paddyred; Apr 10th, 2016 at 00:16.
paddyred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paddyred For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2016, 12:27   #12
AJGallacher

Snap.
My headlight washers have never worked.
Didn't even know I had them until I had the bumper off doing something else.
I figure, do I need them? = No. Problem solved.
Can't be bothered diagnosing what it could be.
I just left it as is.
AJGallacher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AJGallacher For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 22:58   #13
mack625
mackie

Default V50 Headlight washer relay

Does anyone know if the Headlight washers has a relay on a V50 2008? i know it has a fuse in slot 11 of the engine compartment fuse box which seems to be fine when tested. I've seen one person say they checked the fuse and relay but i can't see anywhere it says it has a relay. wanted to check this first before i start stripping down to check the pump as nothing is happening at all when pressing for the washers to activate. headlight switch is in the correct position and washer bottle is full

Thanks
mack625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 00:50   #14
Sysyphus

Mine froze up a couple of weeks ago on a trip up to Lake Placid... hadn't gotten around to swapping from summer bug-cleaning to winter anti-freeze wash, was still warm when I left Philly, we hadn't really had a frost to speak of, but it was -8 C at mid-day in the mountains when I got there... was the first time I'd ever actually seen one: I'm always in the drivers seat when they pop up .

Luckily filling up with anti-freeze wash and parking in the sunshine was enough to melt them and normal service was resumed for the snowy drive home.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote