Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Return to Invoice GAP insurance

Views : 1862

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2014, 21:33   #11
Considered1
Premier Member

I've only taken Supagard £299 covers the interior (not sure about the exterior)
I'm not committed yet as we have a dog so I want to know if it covers pet damage (most household insurances dont!)..

I had to get some scuff marks on the bumper and a small dent above repaired before they collected my BMW, good as new cost me £100 from one of these local mobile repair paint guys..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 22:22   #12
Flux
Premier Member

TBH I think I would probably opt for the Supagard like you as I can see the benefit in that as I have young kids (protect the white stitching on R design Lux leather seats!!). Would be happy to pay about £300 if I knew it would protect interior from spills, food, dirty shoes etc but not particularly bothered about the other stuff. Think the Supagard treatment also covers exterior but not sure if that's extra.

Still, got until car delivery to think of that and that's another 7 weeks away......
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 23:43   #13
MikeIOW
Premier Member

The dealers make a lot of margin on those extras. I guess each to their own, but I wouldn't take them.
Likewise for supagard: I would investigate for local "detailers", I think you would get a better deal from them (partly from instinct and partly from what I have been reading)....
Just my opinion, others will differ!
MikeIOW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 14:13   #14
Crockers
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
Check with your insurance company first. Mine (Tesco) will pay the full price of replacement in the first year if it is written off. Therefore no need for GAP for 1st 12 months but might be worth buying after 12 months from a GAP insurer (assuming they will offer this on cars that are one year old).

My dealer is offering me GAP, wheel insurance and some touch up for scratches (yet to see full details) for circa £800 (half price!). Is it worth it?
NFU offer full replacement cost for the first TWO years..
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 19:37   #15
bullstiff

Gap insurance will give you peace of mind, however, the dealer price is £399 (at ours anyway) and I can get the same cover from a company called Gap123 for £104 for the same level of cover. This company were voted best by which magazine and the reviews seem ok.
You pays your money (or not) and takes your chances.
All the insurance deals offered by your dealer are available through third party's and often at a reduced rate, just check the small print to confirm exactly what you get for your money. Regards Mark
bullstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bullstiff For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 22:05   #16
duzzar

Thanks for all the responses guys
duzzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 22:48   #17
Ransman
Master Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...insurance.html
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 23:21   #18
mossca

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullstiff View Post
Gap insurance will give you peace of mind, however, the dealer price is £399 (at ours anyway) and I can get the same cover from a company called Gap123 for £104 for the same level of cover. This company were voted best by which magazine and the reviews seem ok.
You pays your money (or not) and takes your chances.
All the insurance deals offered by your dealer are available through third party's and often at a reduced rate, just check the small print to confirm exactly what you get for your money. Regards Mark
I've just taken Gap insurance from these online. £169 and that is for return to as new price. IE if I ben it inside 4 years and it's written off they will fork out the difference the insurance payout and the cost of a new one. dealer wanted £399. On the subject of supergard you can get the full kit off ebay for about £35 and do inside and out yourself. There's such a mark up on all these add ons.
mossca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 07:23   #19
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossca View Post
... On the subject of supergard you can get the full kit off ebay for about £35 and do inside and out yourself. There's such a mark up on all these add ons.
Doesn't provide car preparation, interior treatment and protection, or Warranty - if you want to go down that route just buy a bottle of wax 'n shine ...
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 10:44   #20
DTBK

The Telegraph (Warranty Direct) policy isn't too hot: http://www.gapinsurance.co.uk/how-do...es-compare.asp

Also, the subject of GAP insurance has been discussed on here in quite some depth not too long ago: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=182849&page=2

Last edited by DTBK; Feb 24th, 2014 at 10:47.
DTBK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DTBK For This Useful Post: