Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593771

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2016, 11:02   #1001
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chen002 View Post
We are the facebook group from Taiwan. Still concerned about the EGR issue. There is still no permanent resolve method , and this bother most of the D4 owner.
I'd like to ask you, how about the procedure to manage the EGR problem in UK? Did you need to pay any fee while changing or cleaning the EGR or Cooler? How about the guarantee from the dealer? Have any mileage limitation or time limitation ? As I know , the EGR or Cooler problems are still not fixed yet, so how about the altitude of the dealer?
In Taiwan, the dealer will do some replacement or cleaning before 30000 KM, but they will ask to clean the EGR and Cooler while achieving 30000KM and it is not free. If the check engine light or turtle light appeared after 30000KM, they will ask owner to pay the fee for cleaning.
I don't know it's reasonable or not, the diesel engine before VEA engine has no such problems, and they ask owner to pay the fee ....... the feeling is not so good , ha ha .

Thanks for your replay , though we are not in UK. One of our facebook guys said that the same problems appeared in so many different countries, we can gather a group just like " Marvel's The Avengers " movies.....
everything paid for by volvo in UK , no cleaning is possible it is NOT effective you are wasting your money there .. There is now a fix , but parts supply is a problem for the short term .
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 11:04   #1002
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Are you saying you had to replace two EGR's on new D5 XC90's? Certainly not hitting the forum yet.
The xc 90 has a different EGR motor , a big strong analogue rotary electric motor rather than a digital stepper motor .
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 11:14   #1003
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The xc 90 has a different EGR motor , a big strong analogue rotary electric motor rather than a digital stepper motor .
Very interesting.
Obviously the older 'digital !' version deemed just too risky to contemplate for the flagship 90-series.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 12:55   #1004
donnieban

Default Here we EGR go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieban View Post
V60 D4 64 plate amber check engine warning light reset twice within about 3 hrs and subsequent limp mode on the 1 day that we needed reliability - heading to airport on hols....

9 months old and nearly 13000 miles.

Volvo courtesy (Taggarts) nil points.
Well my D4 has gone into limp mode again, 7,000 miles since the last fault, with a total of 20,000 miles on the clock.

Time for it to go, its a lease and I am going to have to buy out.

Used XC 60 or 70 D5 here I come.
donnieban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 13:37   #1005
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieban View Post
Well my D4 has gone into limp mode again, 7,000 miles since the last fault, with a total of 20,000 miles on the clock.

Time for it to go, its a lease and I am going to have to buy out.

Used XC 60 or 70 D5 here I come.
Hang on in there , the cure has just come out .. But go ahead if you were thinking of changing anyway .
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 14:00   #1006
Redsun351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Hang on in there , the cure has just come out .. But go ahead if you were thinking of changing anyway .
There wasn't a guaranteed cure available at the beginning of the week according in to Volvo hence why the leasing company agreed to take back my friends XC60 and the 6 others on the company fleet ( 4 of which have had the same issues in varying levels)

I have no idea how Volvo have managed to keep a lid on this when leasing companies and dealers are having to take cars back.
It's almost a not if but when issue.
Redsun351 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redsun351 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 17:23   #1007
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Called in today to book a 2 year service for beginning of May.

Normally put the car in at 13.00 and get it back at 17.00, but asked if they would need it for longer, to resolve issues with EGR/Oxygen sensors.
Senior Technician informed me that, at the moment, they are only doing software updates.

I have never had the EGR valve changed, only four visits to get Oxygen sensors changed/cleaned, as a result of the dreaded Engine Check warning.

So from this, it does not look like Volvo are about to rectify the problems, soon.

tem.

The "Engine Check" warning is back, fifth time in under two years. Will I swear? Better not.
Car was in last October for same warning, with an intention to change/clean the EGR valve, but diagnostics pointed to Oxygen sensors needing cleaned.
Not sure which road to go down.
Dealer is over 100 miles away, car is booked in for service on 2nd May.

Clan has recently stated that there is a fix for the EGR/Oxygen sensor problem, but when I spoke to the Senior Technician only last Tuesday, he gave no indication that a fix, was anytime soon.

Thinking about a V90, but will Volvo have the problem sorted out soon?

tem.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 17:52   #1008
Harvey1512
Premier Member

TEM - Mine has just been changed for the second time, 3rd version in the car since new. The dealer held back initially as they hoped to carry out the new fix but had to give in as they estimate it is another month away. Nearly but not yet. If you can I would hold on as this, may, resolve it permanently.

If you have it then don't be afraid to use Volvo Assist, especially if the tortoise appears. They will collect your car and take it to the dealers. They also provide a hire car if needed. You still have to go and collect your car but it helps some of the way.

I can't help but think Volvo should be doing a bit of PR for all customers inconvenienced by this. Going backwards and forwards to the dealers is a pain and a few Volvo freebies would not go amiss. TEM's round trip is an extreme one but for all us going through this it is very time consuming and irritating.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 18:01   #1009
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
TEM - Mine has just been changed for the second time, 3rd version in the car since new. The dealer held back initially as they hoped to carry out the new fix but had to give in as they estimate it is another month away. Nearly but not yet. If you can I would hold on as this, may, resolve it permanently.

If you have it then don't be afraid to use Volvo Assist, especially if the tortoise appears. They will collect your car and take it to the dealers. They also provide a hire car if needed. You still have to go and collect your car but it helps some of the way.

I can't help but think Volvo should be doing a bit of PR for all customers inconvenienced by this. Going backwards and forwards to the dealers is a pain and a few Volvo freebies would not go amiss. TEM's round trip is an extreme one but for all us going through this it is very time consuming and irritating.
Fortunately, so far the car has never gone into limp mode.
If you think that a fix maybe around a month away, this would work out fine for service time.
Once Easter is past, I will phone the dealer.

tem.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 18:28   #1010
Arianne
Premier Member

Can't tell you how much we are looking forward to the mega-excursion from Scotland to Alesund up in NW Norway this Summer. I really, really hope that it's just the three of us on this holiday and that, unlike Switzerland 2015, we are not joined by the turtle.

Still, if the turtle does make an appearance, I could always drop the car off in Sweden on the return trip? Or should that be Belgium?

Either way, this is getting beyond a joke. One of the main factors behind spending £££ on a new car is reliability and worry free motoring across the continent for carefree holidays. It's the period when I spend most time driving the car, enjoying the experience of doing so and telling myself that this is why I have parted with my hard earned cash.

Needless to say, I won't be buying another VEA 4cyl diesel from Volvo, or Jaguar for that matter. But you knew that already.

Arianne

PS. My commiserations to fellow forum members currently having this hassle.