Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

p1800 brake pad differences?

Views : 961

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2017, 17:45   #1
1800P

Default p1800 brake pad differences?

hey all, I recently changed my old mans 62 p1800 front brakes over to the 65 models with new rotors calipers/caliper bracket/dust shield etc. everything fits up fine. apart from when I went to fit the brake pads, my father purchased them about 10 years ago and had never been used, they line up with the holes, although one pad on each of the calipers is to wide and I would basically have to hammer it in place and have 0 clearance. are there any differences in brake pads from the early jensens to the p1800s? the pads would fit a treat if they were machined down a tad(they are 16mm thick). I'm just wondering if they are not suited. or they are correct and I may have assembled the brakes incorrectly.

also if I were to purchase suitable pads. any recommendations for a good street pad?

cheers

Last edited by 1800P; Oct 12th, 2017 at 17:53.
1800P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 19:59   #2
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Ok at first I would say you have not pushed the 3 pistons back enough.

There are three in the caliper and to get the pistons flush you really need a pad spreader tool with the bleed screw released... as pushing the back with a screw driver does not work at all....

The dust cover should engulf the pistons if they after retracted back correctly and the piston edges flat to the caliper

There are two different types of pad depending on model year .

Make sure the caliper where the pads sit are scraped clean

hope it helps

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 23:55   #3
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I recently replaced my front pads and without scraping some paint away, there's no way they would have moved as smoothly as they should. They were very tight indeed. I cleaned the paint away completely with my pocket knife and greased the guides properly.

I fitted EBC Greenstuff pads as I was given them. I'm told the genuine Volvo ones are the best and not too expensive.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 13:26   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

How about a review of the EBC pads? I have a new EBC Green set which are chamfered down a bit all round compared to normal ones and have the abrasive coatings on the clean the disc a bit before serious use. Not sure if that is good enough to cut through any glazing. Not sure whether to try them as am using the old ones I had in when I had my SBKV caliper problem. Caliper now changed but get a bit of a judder at speed now and again when braking. The disc being glazed may cause this, it did get smoking hot! I have a new set of standard Brookhouse ones too. Changing is an easy job but end of the season now so won't be adding too many miles to the oddo for a while. Still hope to break 2000 miles since the MOT in March though, even if it means a cruise to nowhere.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 20:53   #5
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I don't know what to say about the Greenstuff brake pads. I can't say there's a noticeable difference to what was fitted there before which I changed because they were worn. I don't know what make the previous ones were, but exactly as your description, they were not chamfered as the Greenstuff ones are.

All I can say is this: by the time I get to the bottom of the steepest hill up on the top of Dartmoor, the brakes are still performing exactly the same as they were at the top of the hill, so that's good!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 11:30   #6
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Original question

This doesn't apply to yours but I do understand that there was a change in calipers and therefore disc pads on 1800/122S around 1963/64.
Brookhouse list brake pads to fit cars from '64 to '68, so '62 pads would have been hard to find.
https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...Single_Circuit
I think that the change corresponds with the later calipers not having the bridge pipe between the two caliper halves.

Last edited by Volvorama; Oct 14th, 2017 at 12:04.
Volvorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 11:33   #7
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Buy it now.

If anyone does need early pads they are available elsewhere:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-P180...-/391773748585
Pads, Girling, 1960-1961 Volvo P1800.
There are several others listed and it appears that the 'early' single circuit pads have no holes in them.

Last edited by Volvorama; Oct 14th, 2017 at 12:03.
Volvorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 18:01   #8
1800P

cheers for the help lads, ive done everything I can, and they still don't fit properly. they are in place with pins. but there is 0 clearance on the twin piston side. and maybe 1mm clearance on the other side. these pads have the holes in them that are required for the 63 onwards models. I'm thinking I should just try a different brand pad or one that's thinner then 16mm.

ok after measuring the pads up(ferodo db549Z). the pads I have are 98/60/16mm. the ebc site states these are the size for the 70-71 models. and the earlier models are 98/68/16mm.
seeing as they are the same thickness (16mm) it would not make a difference trying a different set?

cheers

Last edited by 1800P; Oct 14th, 2017 at 18:26.
1800P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 23:38   #9
SwallownAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
How about a review of the EBC pads?
Hi Derek,
Can't really comment about Greenstuff on an Amazon as I use Mintex M1148 competition pads in the rally car. However, I have fitted them to my BMW 740 Sport and they really are the dog's dangly bits. There is an abrasive layer which "deglazes" the discs and they fitted straight into the location in the single piston caliper that works on big slider pins which were replaced and greased with a new Textar "oil-free" lubricant. The car weighs 2 tonnes or more and since fitting them in place of standard BMW pads the thing actually stops when I press the brake pedal. No trace of fade, shimmy or judder even when braking from high speed, they just do the job. They are expensive cf. standard but........
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwallownAmazon For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 15:15   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Chris, Cera Tec, Hydra Tec, or both?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote