Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 charging on the go

Views : 805

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 10:50   #1
Busa1400

Default T8 charging on the go

I have had my T8 for about a month or so now and charge it every night at home. i charge it via the three PIN plug and leave the cord at home when i leave.

I have been out and about and have seen charging points in car parks and service stations etc.

has anyone else signed up to plan, I am looking at these but don't know if they are good, bad or indifferent

https://polar-network.com/?gclid=EAI...yAAEgJXXPD_BwE

Anyone have any experience ?
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 12:19   #2
Soltan

I signed up with Polar, I think there was a 6 month free period then it costs. It's useful out and about, but not on motorways as those seem to belong to one company and I thought they were quite expensive.
Biggest bonus for me is when I travel on business I try and find a hotel with charging and the polar card lets me charge on site (when it's not blocked by an ICE vehicle).

Also, the odd trip to Manchester Trafford Center means I get to park at the charging points there too.

Don't forget not every charging point will belong to a Polar affiliate and some will cost you additionally to the Polar fees. ZAP Maps is quite a useful app for working out what's where and if it's working. You may want to invest in a charging cable though as most points will not take a 3 pin.
MY17 XC90 T8 Inscription, Magic Blue, Xenium Pack, Winter Pack with HUD, Towbar, Power Front Cushion Extensions, Massaging Front Seats,Power Folding 2nd Row Headrests, Tinted Windows, Laminated Side Glass, Amber Leather, Linear Walnut Inlays
Soltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 19:25   #3
Busa1400

Cheers Soltan,

I am away from home one night a week and hadn't thought about hotel charging...may have to look into that.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 12:31   #4
square-i's

I charge mainly at home with the 13amp 3 pin charger supplied with my XC90 Inscription-Pro T8.
However, away from home I use a T2 charging cable (supplied free by the Volvo dealer (list £330) after my complaining that the expense of the car should include that).
I have a Polar account, and around Milton Keynes Centre, there are many charge points to use - nominal charge is 9p / Kwh + vat (similar as most domestic rates) - and you get to park for free ! For Polar coverage, see https://polar-network.com/live-map/ There is a monthly charge of £7.85 (free for 3 monthe for new members)

What I really would like to find is a suitable adapter to be able to use my domestic (13amp plug) charger in France. That requires a Schuko style 2 pin and earth to a 13 amp socket, rated at least 10amps.

Anyone experience of this or can recommend a suitable adapter ?
square-i's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 12:58   #5
AB-UK
Premier Member

We use Podpoint for charging.
It doesn't require a monthly subscription so most suitable if you usually charge up at home, and only occasionally need a charge on a motorway or shopping park.
Ecotricity are similar in that you only pay for the charge.
They are Smartphone App based, so you don't need a card or a "key" to use them.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 13:54   #6
steadvex
Master Member

I don't have a T8, but before the D6 and still do.we have a leaf.

I used to pay for polar but we've since switched to ovo ev tariff, gives you free polar subscription, just pay for useage. A few polar type 2 chargers are free to use .

If anyone wants a referral link id happy to give one £25 free Amazon voucher with it for bother new customers 👍
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 12:30   #7
Fortune7
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by square-i's View Post
What I really would like to find is a suitable adapter to be able to use my domestic (13amp plug) charger in France. That requires a Schuko style 2 pin and earth to a 13 amp socket, rated at least 10amps.

Anyone experience of this or can recommend a suitable adapter ?
Here's a suggestion. It should be good for 10 amps but I would limit the current on your charge cable to (say) 8 amps initially and see if any part of the adapter gets hot......

Cheers, Andy
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 14:24   #8
square-i's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune7 View Post
Here's a suggestion. It should be good for 10 amps but I would limit the current on your charge cable to (say) 8 amps initially and see if any part of the adapter gets hot......

Cheers, Andy
Belated thanks for the tip. I've subsequently bought a 16 amp 2 pin + earth plug from Radio Spares on-line (https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains...ckets/8496128/).
A similar connector, https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/8245585/ is also available - each with free postage and next day delivery.

I've connected the plug to a heavy duty (>16 amp) cable with a UK 3 pin 13 amp fused socket at the other end. I'll try it in France and see how (and if) it performs OK when connected to the Volvo supplied Mennekes charger / cable.
square-i's is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to square-i's For This Useful Post: