Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A pillar rust

Views : 684

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2017, 16:22   #1
dgbalfour
VOC Member

Default A pillar rust

I've got the beginnings of rust showing on both sides of the windscreen, so I'm going to get some local people to quote for a repair before it gets too much worse. This isn't a job I can do myself, but I'd like to be a little forewarned as to what work is actually required to do the job properly.

Those of you who have done this job before, what's the best way to tackle it? Windscreen out? Seems logical as this is probably where water is getting in anyway. Does the dash need to come out to access both sides? How about removal of the outer wing?

Thanks,

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rust.jpg (83.3 KB, 59 views)
dgbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dgbalfour For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 19:27   #2
grahamwatson

If that picture shows the upper limit of the rusty area there is no need to remove your windscreen. When you say that "water is getting in" I assume you do not mean that water is getting into the car but just getting into (and causing) the rusty area. If your windscreen is not leaking you should do whatever you can to leave it exactly where it is!

But removal of the wings would be a good idea (and relatively easily done) to check how far the rusty area extends down the A pillar, and to repair it properly.
grahamwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grahamwatson For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 16:49   #3
dgbalfour
VOC Member

Unfortunately water is getting into the car, and I suspect it is from the windscreen seal. It's minimal at the moment and I wouldn't be tempted to fix it unless I had to remove the screen for another purpose such as this.

I had assumed this would also be the cause of the rust, or is that not so likely?
dgbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 17:36   #4
Gary Byrne

I completed this job on one side of my 131 last year. I did this when a couple of tiny bubbles appeared and, having seen other cars where the rust had been allowed to spread, I acted quickly. Yours is a lot worse and looking at your picture I suspect there's been some filling going on closer to your windscreen. It is definitely advisable to remove the wing and I suspect you'll have to remove your windscreen and probably your dash too. As you'll have guessed to do this repair properly is quite an involved job. Repair panels are available but are quite expensive. On my own car even though initially only a few tiny bubbles were evident the actual rust damaged area was about 3" x 1.5". Also be aware that this section of bodywork is double skinned, so you will have to repair the rusted inner skin before tackling the outer. Because my damage was comparatively small I was able to fabricate two repair sections that I let into both the inner and outer skins. Hopefully the other side of my car will be okay but I've now injected both areas with Dinitrol via holes I drilled into the bulkhead underneath. Good luck.
Gary Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Byrne For This Useful Post: