Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2017 xc90 Windscreen replacement

Views : 3984

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2017, 14:42   #1
Redhead

Default 2017 xc90 Windscreen replacement

I have a 2017 xc90 with a heated windscreen (plus other standard accessories that look through the windscreen).

A lovely Discovery decided to push in front of me today on a dual carriageway with not enough space for him and then proceeded to accelerate away to try and get space (as I braked to allow space for him). His acceleration lifted a stone and now I have a 2.5cm stone chip / minor crack in the windscreen on the passenger side.

I have called Autoglass whom my insurance company uses and it is booked in for Tuesday morning.

Questions:
1) does anyone have any experience of Autoglass on the new XC90s?
2) What are the Autoglass replacement windscreens like for the >2015 XC90s compared to the Volvo ones?
3) should I be concerned about the equipment that looks through the windscreen? Will Autoglass have to be careful not to damage this? Will it need recalibrating afterwards and can Autoglass do this?
4) There seems to be mixed views on dealerfit vs Autoglass to replace a windscreen on the internet in general. Does anyone have any views?

Thanks for any advice or opinions
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 15:37   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Dont know about the MK2 xc90 but Autoglass replaced my 2013 MK1 xc90 windscreen which had a stone chip and crack after only 400 miles on the clock, they did an excellent job and the screen looked the same as the old one.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 15:48   #3
Driver Dave

Smile

I had to have Autoglass replace my heated windscreen about 15 months ago. There was short delay in them getting the screen, the car was so new they had to get one from Sweden, it is marked as a Volvo part.

The mobile fitter came to my home, it seemed a straight forward job and he made an excellent job of it, although it was the first he had done.

From memory I think the replacement screen came with mounting brackets already mounted, so it was just a case of moving the "roof console" from old to new.

I was advised to have the "centre console" equipment recalibrated, lane departure PA2, etc. however I didn't bother until the car was next in the workshop when the technician reported no action was required.

Last edited by Driver Dave; Nov 26th, 2017 at 15:50.
Driver Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Driver Dave For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 16:29   #4
Jcbrown

Been lucky, and not needed a window replaced for many years now, but make got a stone through his Merc S class with all the gubins on the window like the Volvos.

He too was concerned about letting Autoglass lose on his car. But they did a fantastic job and had all the proper equipment to calibrate the different sensors.

I think (though I might be wrong - it was discussed a few months ago over a few pints), that he initially went to the Merc dealer as he wanted them to do it. And they either advised him to use AG, or that if he got them to do it, they would juts bring AG in anyway.

He was told by AG he would have to pay for the calibration, but in they end they didn't charge him.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 17:12   #5
Redhead

Thanks everyone - much appreciated

Autoglass have confirmed that windscreen is not a Volvo one but "one with matching glass". They don't have a technician who can do the job for another 8 days. So booked in then and we will see.....

Slightly dubious over a bad experience with them in the past but I will update the post once its done and let you know how it went
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 17:25   #6
hazzy

You can ask AutoGlass to install "Volvo Dealer Glass" if you want to. They might have to check with your insurance company first but they did install the original Volvo part for me when i had the screen replaced last year (XC60).
hazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hazzy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 19:17   #7
Bernard F

Autoglass did an excellent job on a previous Jaguar XF and I insisted on an OEM original glass which they were happy to do. I should have a word with your insurance company and tell Autoglass before it’s too late.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 19:28   #8
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I've had several screens replaced by Autoglass on my S80. No issues whatsoever .. except, every time they had to make two visits as they failed to come with the right screen. On the phone they ask whether you have heated screen or rain sensors but simply do not understand when you talk about cameras and radars. Hopefully is different now, but may be worth checking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 21:56   #9
Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
Autoglass did an excellent job on a previous Jaguar XF and I insisted on an OEM original glass which they were happy to do. I should have a word with your insurance company and tell Autoglass before it’s too late.
I will do so tomorrow - Thanks
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 06:42   #10
volvocamper
Master Member

Auto glass fitted a new screen to my then 2 year old Touareg exactly 2 years ago. I was nervous as to whether they could fit it exactly as original having read horror stories online re knives slipping when cutting old screen out etc. I particularly request an oe screen and AG and Aviva were happy with that. I explained concerns to the fitter who was v reassuring and was happy for me to watch while he fitted it. They cut the old screens out with a nylon cord and pulley system in a very controlled manner and he assured me it would do no damage-which it didnt (excellent clip on YouTube showing the AG system)
Most heart-stopping moment was when he stuck an arm on the passenger window to swing the news screen into position - HUGE leverage but again fitter was 100% confident.
He did say tho that if there were certain sensors on the top of the screen they had to take cars to strategically place AG units to get calibration correct - was not necessary on my lo-tech Touareg tho.
The AG experience went v well for me.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocamper For This Useful Post:

Tags
autoglass, replacement, windscreen