Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2010 C30 - Engine System Service Required

Views : 7017

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2017, 20:51   #11
chrisdc

Oh, and as the subject of DPFs has come up. The 2.0D manual has the wet system (with fluid that needs to be topped up). However.... if your 2.0D has the Powershift gearbox, then the car got the dry system (same as the D5). Don't ask me why, but that's the way it is.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 17:55   #12
Ignatz

Default Update - Diagnostic Codes

The results are in. There were 13 or so faults flagged, many minor in nature and some irrelevant (tyre pressure warning system - I don't have one!). The biggie however was 2A40, Particle Trap Overloaded which of course means the DPF. I'm going to get one ordered and my garage will fit it for me. Excellent service today and no charge for the diagnostics. The system has been reset and they want to have another look at it later if the ESSR message comes back.
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ignatz For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 19:17   #13
Ignatz

Default Update Jan 2018

Summary of where I'm now at. I had the DPF and pressure pipe replaced before Christmans, and yesterday had the Diesel Additive tank replenished with 1 litre of PatFluid. I also ensured the battery was healthy, using a CTEK Smart Charger. It was showing 80% charged in minutes and full charge in under 3 hours.

The car is running fine, seems more responsive and the fuel economy appears marginally improved. The only fly in the ointment is that the ESSR warning is still appearing. It occurred immediately after I picked the car up yesterday, so a quick return to the Garage saw their diagnostics (Snap On) indicate '6620 Glow Plug Control - Faulty Signal Temperature Too High'. All the other faults E010 (Additive) and 2A40 (Particle Trap Overloaded) had cleared.

At this stage I now intend just to run the car and see what happens. It starts fine, drives fine and the major concerns I had have now been addressed. The only question I now have is whether VIDA Vice devices would be more likely to clear the messages than the diagnostics my Garage have at their disposal.

I know Jason199 has a thread here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276677
with similar issues to mine, but I don't want to hijack it with my own questions which don't address his concerns.

As usual, any advice welcome. Thanks.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 11:32   #14
Ignatz

Default Update - Diagnostic Codes

I went for a second opinion with another local garage. After the additive tank was refilled and DPF replaced, the ESSR was still appearing. The new check confirmed that the additive tank counter had been reset, however the DPF hadn't. With both done, the glow plug warning still showed on diagnostics as it had done with the first garage. I've booked in to have the full set of glow plugs replaced (two of the three are faulty) next week. I want to be sure that the ESSR this fault generates isn't masking anything else. Car running fine apart from the irritant of seeing the ESSR every time I turn the key.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 14:57   #15
Ignatz

Default Update - Conclusion

The ESSR warning has now gone after having the full set of glow plugs replaced.

Tags
engine system service req