Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Voltage supply issues

Views : 1096

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2017, 17:18   #1
hansC30

Default Voltage supply issues

Hi everyone,

It was the first day of snow here in Belgium and apparently my c30 2.0d does not like it one bit. While driving my radio stops working all the time and restarts. Sometimes works for 5 minutes sometimes for 10seconds. About 10 times in a trip of 1,5hours, a couple of lights in the dashboard light up for about half a second. I looks like anti-skid service is required is also on the dashboard then. This message also disappears within half a second. One of those times I felt a big "bump" in the engine (definatly not the road;-)).

So I got home, hooked up vida and got following errors (see attached image for extra info)
BCM-0058
Bcm-0118
CEM-8F24
ADM-E010
ECM-2135
CEM-DF11
PAM-E010
Battery was replaced very recently.

Anyone any ideas? :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20171210-WA0002.jpg (219.8 KB, 14 views)
hansC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 17:31   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansC30 View Post
Hi everyone,

It was the first day of snow here in Belgium and apparently my c30 2.0d does not like it one bit. While driving my radio stops working all the time and restarts. Sometimes works for 5 minutes sometimes for 10seconds. About 10 times in a trip of 1,5hours, a couple of lights in the dashboard light up for about half a second. I looks like anti-skid service is required is also on the dashboard then. This message also disappears within half a second. One of those times I felt a big "bump" in the engine (definatly not the road;-)).

So I got home, hooked up vida and got following errors (see attached image for extra info)
BCM-0058
Bcm-0118
CEM-8F24
ADM-E010
ECM-2135
CEM-DF11
PAM-E010
Battery was replaced very recently.

Anyone any ideas? :-)
alternator voltage too high? You need to measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running .. should be around 14 to 14.5 volts
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 18:37   #3
hansC30

Just did, voltage was 14.57V
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 18:44   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Just did, voltage was 14.57V
Perhaps it intermittently goes high as several of those codes indicate high voltage
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 19:11   #5
hansC30

It does look like that indeed.. I cleared the errors, started the engine and the errors stay out.. Will drive it tommorow and see what it does..
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 19:48   #6
hansC30

After 2 short drives of about 40km in total I had no issues with voltage.. I did get into limp mode a lot due too something with the accelerator pedal (ecm 2135) AP position sensor faulty signal. Always gone after restarting the engine.. Any ideas here?
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 20:23   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
After 2 short drives of about 40km in total I had no issues with voltage.. I did get into limp mode a lot due too something with the accelerator pedal (ecm 2135) AP position sensor faulty signal. Always gone after restarting the engine.. Any ideas here?
yes , fit a new signal wire and terminals at each end between the pedal and CEM ...
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 20:42   #8
hansC30

Thanks for your reply! I just took a look at the pwm and analog signal and they both match perfectly.. Think I will first clean all connector pins to ecm with some sanding paper, heard that could solve some things as well..
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 21:26   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply! I just took a look at the pwm and analog signal and they both match perfectly.. Think I will first clean all connector pins to ecm with some sanding paper, heard that could solve some things as well..
The problem is intermittent connection on the signal from pedal to CEM due to loose terminal grip hence fit new terminals to both ends of a new piece of wire because it disappears up under the dash and could be trapped somewhere too .

The ecm connectors are not an issue . It is the DIRECT connection between pedal and CEM
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 22:26   #10
hansC30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The problem is intermittent connection on the signal from pedal to CEM due to loose terminal grip hence fit new terminals to both ends of a new piece of wire because it disappears up under the dash and could be trapped somewhere too .

The ecm connectors are not an issue . It is the DIRECT connection between pedal and CEM
Just did some digging in Vida, am I correct in stating that both analog and pwm signal from pedal go to the CEM and that the CEM sends the pwm signal to the ECM? And that the fault I have is that intermittently the pwm and analog signals don't give put the same value?

And so according to you I should replace both analog and pwm signal cables? I can find in the connector to CEM two times a signal called "AP position sensor, check signal" one of those will vary between 0,15v and 4,85v which makes this the analog signal right? but the other one, Vida states will always be 0V.. Shouldn't there also be a pwm signal going to the CEM?

What am I missing here? :-)

Last edited by hansC30; Dec 11th, 2017 at 23:19.