Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I go with winter tyres even though it won't snow??

Views : 2169

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2017, 18:41   #11
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I decided to fit the CrossClimate from Mitchlin and can't say I have been disappointed.
Road noise is not excessive, less so. Grip in wet has been good and stopping in the dry has been fine.
Not tried in snow yet but that may change soon!

Review Here
Review Here

Strangely, the Swedish authorities have stated that the CrossClimate cannot be fitted when Winter Tyres are required. That despite the tyres out preforming some winter tyres!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 19:25   #12
green van man
Premier Member

Given the weather forecast for this weekend they will of trippled in price by now.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 20:13   #13
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Possibly not in Portugal.

I too have crossclimates, on the golf, excellent tyres for normal conditions, ideal for chilly and variable weather such as we get all the time, seem functional on wet grass but its hard to compare as I dont drive on wet grass much. May well know what they are like on snow this week. They give a very quiet and smooth ride, lose a little steering feel in comparison to sports tyres, conti- top-dollars etc. More grip than Ive ever needed.

IF I were buying four tyres today I'd probably choose the latest Goodyear, as they reportedly are slightly better, but it would come down to price.

A foot of snow will stop just about every car, half in inch will stop most of the suburban ones, and I wish it would stop the rest.
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 19:38   #14
volvo always
Premier Member

Last year I bought a used set of 940 alloys for my 940 automatic and bought a set of 4 new goodyear ultragrip 9 winter tyres. Last year had a temporary slight covering but today I found the steepest hills around me and I have to say I'm well impressed with grip, cornering and braking response. Dunstall hills, Scotch Hills lane and around the general area. It was a lane with up and down hills like a big dipper!

There was snow deep enough in places to hit the front spoiler/splitter under the bumper and general thickness of lying snow 3-5 inches and more in drifts. I and a land rover county 90 the only ones using the lane.

I could even stop on the hill and pull away. You got a bit of spin and could feel the tyres biting into the snow. I went back much later and it had tracks in it that were compacted and starting to get icy. A bit more slip but still went up and down no issues. If solid ice no snow tyre would help, probably need studded. I highly rate winter tyres.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 20:09   #15
NigelDay
Premier Member

The other 'fail' in winter is slush on a steep hill. Winter tyres don't work. Chains usually can't be safely fitted. Studs would work, but there are restrictions on their use in the UK.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 13:08   #16
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Default A Cautionary Tale

With the number of people saying how they have a set of nice alloys for their summer tyres and a set of steel wheels for their winters I think it's worth sharing this story.
My wife went to visit her mother and brother at the weekend and he told her about something that happened while he was out walking the dog. As he was walking through the village he heard a crunch which didn't sound too healthy, as he continued walking with the dog he could hear a woman crying loudly, there obviously was a problem so he went to find out what was happening, rounding a corner he found the woman standing by her car sobbing and quite hysterical because the wheel(s) had fallen off of her car. Being a small village he tends to know a lot of people so he took her to a nearby house where she could go in and calm down then returned to her car, he is a trained mechanic. It turned out that the ladies husband had swapped the summer alloys for a set of winter steel wheels but had not realised that on that car the wheel bolts/nuts had to be changed too, the poor woman had driven it round the M25 earlier in the day but fortunately was going relatively slowly when the bolts had failed.
The tale having been relayed to me by my wife has lost a bit of detail such as make of car and quite how many wheels had fallen off and the nature of the failure of the bolts, and as far as I'm aware Volvo use the same bolts for alloys and steel wheels (whereas my son's Peugeot uses different shaped ones, about £64 for a set from the main dealers), but if you're thinking of getting a second set of wheels do check that you don't need another set of bolts too.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 11:47   #17
domhart10
Volvo S40

DaveNP is there a huge difference between bolt type for alloys and steel wheels?

I possibly think its down to who actually put on the bolt in the first place and also constantly checking. With putting winter tires on you need to keep checking the bolts are ok as you will get more vibrations on the wheel. Previously had a V40 estate and changed to winter tires and the garage fitted winter on for us and the bolts came loose on one wheel (This was on the same alloy)

For my current S40 I have 2 sets of alloy wheels, my winters have also managed to drop a bolt while driving which is worrying but always check before long journeys that they are done up properly. So I think checking the bolts constantly when running winter tires are a must as the increase vibration can wiggle them loose.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 12:46   #18
prc68

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
Are you based in Portugal?

How cold does it get down there in the winter?
Were I live winter temps run around 14-16ºC Day and 4ºC night. Gets worse as you move North or towards the interior of the country.
prc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 12:47   #19
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
With putting winter tires on you need to keep checking the bolts are ok as you will get more vibrations on the wheel.
Why will you get more vibrations with winter tyres ? The profile is often higher (more rubber, softer ride) and the rubber will be slightly softer at lower temperatures. Have I missed something ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 15:19   #20
domhart10
Volvo S40

Sorry maybe I have got something wrong here, when I look at my summer tires they are a lot smoother but looking at the winter tires ... yes the compound is softer but looks a lot more knobbly. going faster on my summers are a lot smoother and going the same speed on my winters are a rougher ride but generally pottering around isnt much of a difference.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post: