Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

misfire ? on 1.8 petrol 57 plate

Views : 1663

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2017, 16:31   #1
Alan C30

Default misfire ? on 1.8 petrol 57 plate

Done a search on here for 'mis fires' most results seem to come back with issues on the diesel . . . .
Last few mornings the car has 'hesitated' like a misfire when cold and on a light throttle, extra pedal pressure does 'help' (i think)

but maybe connected , maybe not, is that i also get a clicking noise (just in first few minutes of driving) that sounds VERY like the same noise you get when the traction control kicks in if it is slippy/icey. roads are clear and dry. NO TCS symbol appears

today I left car running a few minutes BEFORE setting off to get a wee bit warmer and same effect, few hundred yards click,click, click etc then just stumbles. air temperature is around 3 - 4. when car above 1/4 on temp gauge seemed to pull away fine (I stopped and waited for five minutes and OK, but not after sitting for 2 hours when gone shopping)

I guess it could be a coil pack? all plugs were nice and tight, I'm a bit canny as they seem to need a VERY low torque setting . . ..

I guess I should wheech them out and view but reluctant to do so as it's pouring rain and gales are promised.

is there any suggested 'code readers' that are easily available that read out the codes, assuming of course that intermittent codes are stored?
Alan C30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 12:52   #2
volvo for ever
Premier Member

P1 cars a must you must rule out water ingress in the CEM unit especially the big green plug ,water in there can cause lots of different faults cutting out ,miss fire,power steering loss so on

please update regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 16:39   #3
Alan C30

Default update, progress (lack off)

well first thing today (about 0930-1030) took out all plugs ,

all looked clean and gap around 50thou
cleaned all connections to the plugs (ie took out the springs from within the plug coil pack, cleaned up etc and refitted.)

As I'd read about odd /poor running due to fuel intake
Had a look at the two solenoids that control various air flaps within the manifold, both sitting at 35ohm, both flaps moved when vacuum applied and both moved on engine start, so nothing to worry about there . .. .

#Volvo for Ever
Thanks for the tip; but where is 'big green plug' for the CEM? :-)

I assume this is under fuse box in engine bay, alongside the battery/air intake?
If it matters we had just driven around 75 miles in slushy/snow before this fault started.

I had similar issues on a 480 where water had found it's way into the CEM for the lights/wipers etc It worked after draining the water out!!!

as for progress to date , still the same when COLD. so I'll check out the CEM Tuesday AM
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 18:47   #4
volvo for ever
Premier Member

the cem is on nsf side of interior under glove box area remove felt under panel its worth ruling out

another point ive just remembered the engine control module is fitted under nsf headlamp and they used to also get water contamination internally of ecu ,rule out the cem first then check ecm i bet you its one or the other
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 12:40   #5
Alan C30

Default maybe ABS / TCS?

STILL not bottomed this out, no fault codes coming up on ECU or ABS but today got lots of clicking as set off at a roundabout and then lack of power AND the TCS light flickered briefly. but still no codes, maybe a sensor on last legs , or debris trapped between the ring and the sensor?

either way probably FRONT wheel as other wise it would not have cut power? (or is that a vain hope? )

anyway to replace a sensor is easy , except they won't just pull out :-( destruction is only route.

but I may try and move drive shaft inboard away from the bearing and get air-line onto it ?
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 21:42   #6
Alan C30

Edit to above post, found this comment
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...highlight=obd2

which sounds IDENTICAL, except I don't get any error codes on version of the app I'm using (Torque Lite, maybe the 'pro version' also does the ABS?

of course as mine is a newer version it has the magic magnetic ring built into the bearing seal :-(, so some more investigation required!!
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 12:12   #7
Alan C30

Default Maybe a bust magnetic ring

Does anybody know if the output from teh ABS / TCS sensor can be easily checked. I had a look at he magnetic ring today and there appears to be a bit missing :-(

see photos, which are not easy to take!!!

Also I now often get a click when the brake pedal is released, not been able to get the fault to appear when in drive when I can get the mrs to press the pedal to find which relay is pulling in/letting go but sounds as if it is just above the pedal/ it might be in the cabin or under the bonnet.

still NO error messages on the screen or when try the OBD code reader, might need to be when car is running?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg missing magnetic .jpg (337.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg missing magnetic.jpg (313.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg missing magnetic.jpg (254.4 KB, 5 views)
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 16:10   #8
Alan C30

Default ABS ring fault!!!

Update
Removal of bearing was similar to previous efforts and this time it comes with a snazzy 'dust shield that sits on teh drive shaft and keeps most of the rust/debris etc away from said ABS ring.

I also removed any remains of crusty stuff from around the bearing housing , but forgot to apply healthy helping of grease to try and keep rust at bay for a bit longer. paint might have worked given A time & B air temp > -3C

anyhow see photo of offending object

I'll maybe pull the drive shaft from the other side (ie leave shaft and pull arm away from it) and fit a similar dirt shield to save myself £75 and a whole morning's work

and grief from SWAMBO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C30 Bearing no ABS ring.jpg (127.1 KB, 5 views)