Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel rusted through - what to do!

Views : 979

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 18:01   #1
ajh51

Default Wheel rusted through - what to do!

Hello all,

This must have happened to somebody else but my search didn't find anything.

I've had what I thought was a slow puncture for a week or so. However it turns out to be air leaking out THROUGH the wheel rim!!! A solution of soapy water shows bubbles where the inner part of the wheel - the spider I think they call it - is welded to the actual rim. I am sure that this means that the rim has rusted right through.

Needless to say I've got the spare on now but the other wheels don't look much better, so new wheels are now a priority.

Any suggestions - I'm tempted to get a set of mini-lites but my significant other prefers the look of the original steels. We only have the car because she loves its looks - so that's an important factor! Does anyone know where I might get a new set of steels, or a used set in good condition?

Cheers as ever,
Andy H.
ajh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 18:10   #2
222s
Amazoniste

Is it a saloon or estate? Saloons ran 4J rims, estates had wider (4.5J) rims, which are in higher demand so correspondingly more expensive, but still available secondhand. Never tried looking for the 4J saloon rims but suspect it would be easy to find a good replacement set.

As for the rust issues, been there, got the T shirt - the valve on the inner tube broke through it's mounting hole...........

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 18:20   #3
ajh51

Nasty!

That's interesting about the different widths - It's a saloon so that gives me a bit more hope, especially if folk have been trading up to the 4.5Js.

I'll ring round the usual suspects tomorrow. But if anyone has a good set - especially if they are near Edinburgh, let me know!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 21:32   #4
stuart bankier
Stuart

I have a couple of reasonable ones which you can have FOC and I live near Berwick
stuart bankier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 23:33   #5
austingipsy

Simon at brookhouse is doing a new batch of powder coated rims. 4.5 I think. I was going to buy a set as my rims are in a similar condition to yours but I had a bit of luck on ebay so shiney new shoes all round.
austingipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 04:27   #6
James A Sousa

That is pretty odd. I suggest that you have the tire removed and view the problem. Perhaps a defect can be found.

With luck, the offending spot can be ground away and a repair welded. A repair that is V-shaped with the widest part on the inside will stay put quite well.

I have saloon and wagon wheels for my PV and in addition to being wider, the wagon wheels are made of thicker metal, I can easily feel the difference in weight.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 09:25   #7
ajh51

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help. In the end I have just got a set of reconditioned 4.5J rims from Rob at Amazon Cars. It just seemed easiest, especially as it turns out my car had a mix of 4J and 4.5J rims on it.

They are very nice, bit cheaper than Brookhouse. Both Amazoncars and Brookhouse's wheels were painted - Simon said he didn't currently do powder coated versions - however I'm very pleased with the quality of paint on the wheels Rob has supplied.

When I get a minute I'll have a close look at the two very rusty rims and report back about their condition but they do look pretty rough at the weld points.

Cheers again,
Andy.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 12:04   #8
TomTom
Master Member

Just out of interest, does that extra half an inch give you a wider choice of tyres? I'm fairly happy with the standard 165R15s but sometimes the car is more slippy than I would like, with an outside force behind the slipping, like strong winds, rather than the driver. Thanks
Tom
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 21:13   #9
barney paull-edwards
B.P-E

Default wheels

Try Boston Engineering on 01205361218, they band wheels and certify them. Not bodgers,they did some for me two years ago to be used as pulleys on a winch(big wire) and they took over 22 tons of load. Your wheels are dangerous,blast them and check for other rust damage,then throw away the rims and get them welded onto a banded rim.
barney paull-edwards is offline   Reply With Quote