Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 Reliability and Ease of Repair

Views : 696

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2019, 07:27   #1
mark3217

Default 240 Reliability and Ease of Repair

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at lowering my expenses and considering getting a Volvo 240 to do so. I've read on reddit and numerous other places how reliable the 240 series is, and how easy they are to work on, but are they easy to work on for someone who doesn't have much experience working on cars?

I've done the basics (i.e. changing tires, oil, brakes), but I don't have a tool chest full of all sorts of tools. Would I be able to get by with an owner's manual and some various tools like screwdrivers, wrenches and a drill? I fully understand that I'll eventually need to order parts, but I don't have access to an engine hoist, car lift, etc.

Thanks for any info!
mark3217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 10:37   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Good morning, 'Mark3217', and welcome to the forum. I don't know how motoring costs in the States compare with those in the UK, but having owned several 240s back in the day, I can confirm that the 2 series Volvos are inherently reliable cars if conscientiously maintained.

They are relatively simple cars in comparison with today's offerings, and you won't have the complex electronics to deal with. So yes, I would say that you should be able to service and repair one without too many problems using the resources that you mention. If you did hit a snag, there is plenty of good advice available on here - all you need to do is ask.

That is on the mechanical side. Bear in mind that the youngest 240 is now 26 years old and you also have the potential for extensive body corrosion, which may require advanced welding skills and equipment to tackle - or expensive garage bills! If I were in your position, therefore, I would look for the most bodily sound car that I could find and then concentrate on improving it mechanically. Do you have the equivalent of our annual MOT test, if so that should give you a good idea of the underlying condition?

In the UK, good 2 series cars are now being recognised as collectible and as such can command a healthy price premium. In contrast, 7 and 9 series cars, which are mechanically similar and generally more rust resistant, are much cheaper and represent something of a bargain over here at present.

These cars may also qualify for classic car insurance, which can also show a worthwhile saving, particularly if you are able to agree to a limited mileage. Being in the States, I assume that fuel economy is not a major factor in your motoring budget!

Hope this helps. Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; May 15th, 2019 at 10:40.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 13:34   #3
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Mark: ~ I have a 1988 240 that I purchased a few years back- one of my priorities when looking for an everyday usable classics had been one with very low technical aspects.
This car fits the bill exactly- I believe later models are a little more complicated (not sure how this applies to your regulations) maintenance is quite straight forward you will know most- the rest can be learnt as it is not computer complicated!
Buy the best you can- get a decent works manual & go for it.
You will not need a second mortgage for tools! Basic stuff will normally suffice.
I liked the car that much that I also bought a ’97 V70 a more advanced car in tech.terms but not silly stuff--- another keeper.

Good Luck you will enjoy yourself with some style!
Regards Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 18:21   #4
mopedmick

Default 240

Much as I agree about the simplicity side and the fact I have liked my 240s, you will still be battling the age related items, I have now as year 2000 V70 and it keeps going, has now covered 260000miles and has only needed tyres brakes servicing etc during last 8 to 9 years and there is zero rust anywhere so much as I like the 240 I don't want to deal with old age issues and rust
mopedmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 19:17   #5
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

I purchased my first car and did wonder if it would ever reach 30- I still own it and it is now 66 years old! I think these cars are at a similar stage and with care & attention I see no reason why they shouldn’t reach this status. Yes some difficulties will always exist with classic ownership but the flip side is that more & more people & companies see the demand and move accordingly- The Volvo 240 & other stable mates are a lot easier in many respects than some earlier classic cars- have a go at restoring a wooden framed car- rust isn’t a great issue if tackled properly but fortunately descent cars are still available—time will tell- they deserve to be passed on.
Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 22:33   #6
volvo always
Premier Member

I had a 1989 240 GLT estate for 10 years and was my daily and only car for 8 years. It was very reliable and covered around 76,000 miles with me. Sold to new owner as couldn't have 3 cars and wasn't getting used much in the last 2 years as bought a 1996 Volvo 940 se lpt auto.

There were a few jobs that needed doing and general tidying as used as a workhorse. The 240 heater fan is a weekend job to do DIY as virtually a dash out job, so check heater fan works. Tailgate looms run through tailgate hinges and eventually break loosing things like tailgate wiper, heated screen etc. Looms available and not too bad to do. There are how too guides online.

In the UK rust is an issue. check front jacking points, behind rear bumper, end of sills, wheel arches, boot wheel wells etc

Mine had a B230E engine, mechanical Bosh fuel injection with AW70 auto gearbox and ran very well and had no major issues. Either age related like radiator etc and servicing etc

The 2.3 engine is the best for the weight. In the States you got the 240 Turbo. We never got it.

I moved onto the 940 as liked Ac and ABS brakes. 240's in the UK finding one with Ac is very very rare.
The other thing is service items on the 240 are cheaper than the 940.

The new owner very kindly invited me to see my old 240 and it was great to see him all shiny and getting some tlc that he so needed.

James.

Last edited by volvo always; May 15th, 2019 at 22:37.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 22:09   #7
mark3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Good morning, 'Mark3217', and welcome to the forum. I don't know how motoring costs in the States compare with those in the UK, but having owned several 240s back in the day, I can confirm that the 2 series Volvos are inherently reliable cars if conscientiously maintained.

They are relatively simple cars in comparison with today's offerings, and you won't have the complex electronics to deal with. So yes, I would say that you should be able to service and repair one without too many problems using the resources that you mention. If you did hit a snag, there is plenty of good advice available on here - all you need to do is ask.

That is on the mechanical side. Bear in mind that the youngest 240 is now 26 years old and you also have the potential for extensive body corrosion, which may require advanced welding skills and equipment to tackle - or expensive garage bills! If I were in your position, therefore, I would look for the most bodily sound car that I could uc browser shareit appvn find and then concentrate on improving it mechanically. Do you have the equivalent of our annual MOT test, if so that should give you a good idea of the underlying condition?

In the UK, good 2 series cars are now being recognised as collectible and as such can command a healthy price premium. In contrast, 7 and 9 series cars, which are mechanically similar and generally more rust resistant, are much cheaper and represent something of a bargain over here at present.

These cars may also qualify for classic car insurance, which can also show a worthwhile saving, particularly if you are able to agree to a limited mileage. Being in the States, I assume that fuel economy is not a major factor in your motoring budget!

Hope this helps. Regards, John.
thankyou!!
mark3217 is offline   Reply With Quote