Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 n/s front knock noise

Views : 966

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2020, 11:13   #1
Ascrew13

Default Volvo V50 n/s front knock noise

Please can anyone help me diagnose a knock noise on my 2011 Volvo v50,
It only happens at low speed when I break coming to a stop also turning the wheel hard right in reverse at low speed I can a clunk coming from the near side front wheel area, it sounds like something is loose and moving, I've already changed the gearbox mount and bracket for new, & also had a new near side drive shaft fitted but still the clunk happens.
Its passed the MOT with no advisories, I've checked the bottom bracket, arms, drop links, spring and suspension but can't see any movement in them so I am at a complete blank? If anyone could point me some advice I'd be very grateful
Ascrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 14:18   #2
Welton
Premier Member

If you bring the car to a stop, then reverse, do you hear a 'sharp click' sound? if so it's likely to be 'Axle Ping' which can be cured with new Axle Bolts from Volvo - they have to be Torqued up and then turned by a specific angle in degrees.

Or, a clunk coming to a stop can be the main lower control arm rear bushings (the big hydraulic filled ones).

There's a few other problem areas too like Top Mounts, Drop Links (very common), track rod inner and outer 'ends'. Our Citroen has worn inner track rod ends and makes a horrid metallic clattering sound at half-lock over bumps.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 16:31   #3
Ascrew13

Default Volvo v50 clunk noise

Thank you for your reply, ive checked the axle bolt and it is torxed to the correct setting 33kn then 90 degree turn it was replaced recently when i changed the drive shaft, the clunk only happens when i turn the wheel right especially when i pull on my drive as the pavement is on a slight incline, it clunks, then also at slow down to a stop i get the clunk, its seems like its coming from the front nearside wheel, suspension area, ive aready changed the gearbox mount and bracket which was a waste of money as it still happens, dont really want to keep buying parts that might not need changing. I think i might change the drop links next as they arent too expensive, if that fails im will have to book it in to a local garage... And throw the towel in on it..
Ascrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 17:00   #4
Welton
Premier Member

Drop links normally give a regular metal clatter/rattle over slight bumps, I think it needs a good going over with a pry bar etc - there's also anti-roll bar D-bushings to check.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote