Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how to disconnect volvo guard alarm 940 se

Views : 12082

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2020, 20:22   #71
vickyg

Red lights not flashing as I unplugged the alarm unit under the steering wheel but despite turning over well it's not starting. Feels very much like it's immobilised. Presumably disconnecting AFTER it's immobilised doesn't help. Any further suggestions how to unlock it? Ripping my hair out as MOT expires in a few days too. Never had any fobs for this car.
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 13:03   #72
TonyS9
Premier Member

Doesn't seem like an immobiliser issue.

The alarm immobiliser works on the starter. The chip key immobiliser (seperate to the alarm system) works on the fuel ECU but will start briefly initially. Then given a break will start again later.

I would start considering the usual suspects, look for fuel and fire. Rpm needle flickering? Pump priming and powering, injectors pulsing, fuel pressure?
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 16:22   #73
DGale14

Afternoon all. I hope everyone is well.

Just a quick update. I put fresh batteries in the central locking fob and reprogrammed no issue. The alarm however is still sounding.

I can’t private message you back sorry Loki as I’m new to the forum and need to hit 30 posts. Would replacing the immobiliser relay unit solve this problem?

Thanks for the patience and assistance...I have noticed since owning the car only one week that the Volvo bunch are a lot more friendly than their VW counterparts 👍🏻
DGale14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2020, 19:49   #74
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGale14 View Post
I can’t private message you back sorry Loki as I’m new to the forum and need to hit 30 posts. Would replacing the immobiliser relay unit solve this problem?
That's why I provided an email address and mobile number.

I've got 2 different spare ones; apparently they are interchangeable as the difference has something to do with the fobs' frequency though I've used fobs from a unit with a black casing and different part number on the Valdez which has the same unit as yours.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ighlight=Guard

Last edited by loki_the_glt; Nov 29th, 2020 at 19:52.
loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 14:28   #75
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Doesn't seem like an immobiliser issue.

The alarm immobiliser works on the starter. The chip key immobiliser (seperate to the alarm system) works on the fuel ECU but will start briefly initially. Then given a break will start again later.

I would start considering the usual suspects, look for fuel and fire. Rpm needle flickering? Pump priming and powering, injectors pulsing, fuel pressure?
I don't have a chip key if that's relevant. I believe from new this car would have had a separate fob. As for testing the rest that's a bit beyond me

If was running perfectly until one day I noticed the guard lights were on constant red and the battery draining v.fast.
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2020, 20:50   #76
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
I don't have a chip key if that's relevant. I believe from new this car would have had a separate fob. As for testing the rest that's a bit beyond me

If was running perfectly until one day I noticed the guard lights were on constant red and the battery draining v.fast.
Yes I see from elsewhere you have a 93 940, that would just be a simple alarm + starter motor immobiliser. They all have a seperate fob to control the alarm which isn't properly integrated, you can just remove it and connect the 2 wires for the starter. These alarms don't seem to last much past 20yrs. Mine and sisters car went recently too, but in a different way.

The later cars have a slighly different alarm fob and a different shapped key with the RFID chip immobiliser in it. It is fully integrated into the fuel ECU and the car cannot be driven without major surgery. The alarm can still be removed and the starter bypassed the same way, but leaving the ECU key chip immobiliser functioning.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 19:21   #77
Jimarilo

I went to lock my 1995 940 TDIC last night on the remote guard 1 control and nothing. Had to lock the car with the key

I replaced the batteries today and nothing ......no led

Opened the grey coloured remote and looks to me, that the chrome and red switch on the PCB does not return. So have taken the old switch off and ordered a new switch (pack of 10) and will solder a new switch back on and see what happens

Is a pain not having the central locking, not driven the car since yesterday, but as the alarm is not activated/immobiliser is not activated it should start ok

If the switch repair fails, is there a chance of a replacement remote ???
Jimarilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 20:57   #78
J liddy

The grey remotes are rare now I have the exact same car is there no red LED flash on the remote?
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 13:53   #79
J liddy

I will see what I've got .if your OK with a soldering iron I did have one somewhere
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 20:00   #80
Forrest
VOC Member

There is much good information on here about how to repair the (grey one-button) Volvoguard 1 remotes and receiver. This thread makes a good starting point and one of my posts in it links to one about the receiver.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=234429

If the red light isn’t coming on the remote there is a Murata resonator (the small, white, rectangular component with two legs) which tends to either come away from the PCB or break one of its legs. Quite easy to repair/replace if you know one end of a soldering iron from the other.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: