Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo C70 2.0d strange engine whine noise

Views : 905

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2020, 17:52   #1
BertoneP

Default Volvo C70 2.0d strange engine whine noise

Hi,
I have a 2008 Volvo C70 2.0d 136 BHP that now suddenly makes a whining engine noise when accelerating.

The car runs fine otherwise and has lots of power and revs without any hesitation.
The car has 117.000 kms on the odometer and I have not changed the timing belt , waterpump nor tensioners etc. yet.

Have removed the oil cap to rule out PCV suction noise...so no issue there I think. Also tried to check the upper intake plastic piping parts but they seem look fine without any cracks...

Could it be the bearing from the alternator or a tensioner bearing ?

Here is a video on the noise: https://www.youtube.com/embed/gby3FEZbtlI
Any clues ????

Thanks for you help !

Last edited by BertoneP; Nov 27th, 2020 at 17:58.
BertoneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 18:34   #2
lordbasil

fan belt slipping/squealing??
lordbasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 18:38   #3
BertoneP

It's more of a whining noise rather than squeaking noise...

I'm inclined to think it's an alternator bad bearing noise.
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 20:11   #4
dingov70
Master Member

Remove auxillary belt & run engine for a short while , if the whirring still occurs change cam belt & idler / tensioners ASAP and possibly water pump as well .

If the noise has stopped , spin one thing driven by the aux belt at a time feeling for roughness & listening for any noise or movement other than rotation from a bearing
Old Nov 27th, 2020, 22:30   #5
BertoneP

Thanks for the tip. But if I run the engine without the aux belt on, will that trigger any fault code on the dash ? And is it safe to do so?
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 06:35   #6
dingov70
Master Member

You can run without an aux belt as it only turns alternator , air con pump & possibly power steering pump , so it will not trigger a malfunction light and YES it is perfectly safe . I do it quite often for just the reason you have enquired , it is a quick & easy method of eliminating potential problem area's
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 19:42   #7
BertoneP

Hi again,
I managed to remove the alternator and I have noticed that the round metal pulley driven by the belt is "loose" against the rotor inside the alternator...let me try to explain more: if I turn the pulley by hand fast enough the rotation movement is not transferred to the rotor...in fact I can stop the rotor (holding it with a screwdriver to the metal sheet I guess it is to cool down the altermator) and the pulley rotates freely with the force of my hand while the rotor does not.

So definitively something strange going on....perhaps it is as simple as tightening the pulley to the rotor ????

Last edited by BertoneP; Dec 1st, 2020 at 20:02.
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 20:19   #8
dingov70
Master Member

That would be my first thing to do definitely , I always tell people to start simple & work logically , before hurling money & parts at the issue .

Well done & good luck
Old Dec 1st, 2020, 21:06   #9
BertoneP

Did some more testing and reading..so a correct alternator pulley should slip if rotated counter clockwise and not slip if rotated clockwise....just like mine does...so pulley is ok...however if I rotate the pulley clockwise and suddenly stop, the rotor does 1 or 2 turns (which is normal due to the inertia of the rotor) BUT I can hear a slight grinding bearing noise.

According to a Gates video, this is a sign of a bad alternator....

Conclusion at this point: I think my alternator has some bad bearings that generate the whining noise.

Special tools are needed to loosen the pulley bolt to be able to replace the 2? bearings, so I will just buy a new alternator and a new tensioner (while I'm at it) to see if this fixes the problem. Around 150 EUR for the 2 parts is not that expensive...

Will report back once (hopefully) fixed.

Thanks for your help ! Cheers.
Old Dec 6th, 2020, 16:51   #10
dingov70
Master Member

Sorry for not replying sooner ( been uber busy )

You buy quite cheaply the selection of required tools from Ebay ( about£20 in UK ) & then recover cost of tools by charging others for your time ( he he he )

or this https://www.amazon.co.uk/KKmoon-Alte...FKZ6E2HM1TS43P