Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2007 V70 D5 Clutch replacement?

Views : 6679

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 21:37   #1
turbo d
paneuro

Default 2007 V70 D5 Clutch replacement?

Hi , has anybody replaced an 07 D5 clutch? I would appreciate any info regarding this i.e. what is original equipment, do I require any special tools, can I hire them from V.O.C. etc. anything regarding this job would be appreciated. I have a large garage and a reasonable amount of tools and a semblence of knowledge. I have replaced head gaskets on 940TDI and V90, clutch on 940TDI, injection pump on 940 TDI etc, so I want to have a go. I will document this and post it so everybody can fit their own clutch. I think the guy who thought up this central leaky slave cylinder probably got a medal from the manufacturer and is sunning himself/herself in the Bahamas as we speak. I would have other ideas for them but thats just me. Any help would be welcomed. regards Turbo D
turbo d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 23:47   #2
Backhill1
Master Member

I entrusted mine to the dealer however can advise as follows.

The parts are made by LUK for Volvo, I would use genuine.
You will need to check the DMF, mine was as new according to dealer with 100k, but its your luck how its been driven if you keep it in a high gear and labour the engine it could be different.
The Haynes manual shows special tools for adjusting the pressure plate but I cannot comment, also you will need to support the engine from above. The dealers have a bracket that goes across the engine bay from the strut tops I think.

FYI I put a new clutch kit in but was informed there was no contamination and the parts were ok. So I don't know you mileage etc. but might be worth stripping before you order anything.

Also you need a new bolts for the N/S drive shaft and it has a special torque and should have Loctite fitted. These apparently run loose all the time or so I was told when mine came out and I lost drive 2 weeks after I had the work done (don't think it was tightened personally).
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 13:29   #3
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Clutch or CsC

Hi Turbo d

It is quite a big job, as you have to hang the subframe halfway, book time is 6-8 hours (and thats on a lift), probably something you could manage on the floor, but will take longer. One tool you do need is a locking tool for the self adjusting pressure plate thats used on these, i believe you can make your own but the LUK 'kit' for this is many £100s. You need this if you decide to refit the original pressure plate, or indeed a new pressure plate. As backhill says LUK are the mfg of the clutch and DMF, another co makes the problematic CSC (mine went at around 80k) the DMF on mine was in good shape, replaced the clutch as an insurance policy,..

What symptoms are you finding with your clutch?
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 11:04   #4
turbo d
paneuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Hi Turbo d

It is quite a big job, as you have to hang the subframe halfway, book time is 6-8 hours (and thats on a lift), probably something you could manage on the floor, but will take longer. One tool you do need is a locking tool for the self adjusting pressure plate thats used on these, i believe you can make your own but the LUK 'kit' for this is many £100s. You need this if you decide to refit the original pressure plate, or indeed a new pressure plate. As backhill says LUK are the mfg of the clutch and DMF, another co makes the problematic CSC (mine went at around 80k) the DMF on mine was in good shape, replaced the clutch as an insurance policy,..

What symptoms are you finding with your clutch?
hi, I am getting a clutch judder every morning but once I have used the clutch a few times it dissapears. I have heard of the theory that the slave is leaking and depositing some fluid onto the plate which in turn is burned off after the clutch is used, hence the dissapearance of the judder. cheers turbo d
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 11:38   #5
john f

Hello
I have an 07 v70d5
my attention was drawn to the slave when my brake fluid warning came on
I could not find a leak on any of the brake lines calipers etc but on removal of the engine undertray there was damp on the engine bellhousing join
Brake fluid has a distinctive taste .Yuk !
However I had no clutch Judder
108,000 miles clutch was ok but slave failed
Check your fluid level Is it dropping
Judder could be engine mounts
I left my clutch change to my local garage and I think they underestimated the job
They also snapped the plastic Turbo hose which is par for the course I believe
Big job but possible

John F
john f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 14:53   #6
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Csc

I would keep an eye on the fluid level in the combined brake/clutch reservoir, as it will drop if the csc is leaking (although not much initially), worth having the under tray off as this is where you will see fluid collecting (comes out of drain hole - see green arrow on pic attached). Mostly it doesn't tend to get on the clutch itself, and you might notice it pulling away when cold as you let the clutch out some hesitation (v minor), ild probably put money on it being the csc (pic attached of a new one)..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fluid_leakgb.JPG (136.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg csc_S60_783.JPG (216.0 KB, 15 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 17:25   #7
turbo d
paneuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by john f View Post
Hello
I have an 07 v70d5
my attention was drawn to the slave when my brake fluid warning came on
I could not find a leak on any of the brake lines calipers etc but on removal of the engine undertray there was damp on the engine bellhousing join
Brake fluid has a distinctive taste .Yuk !
However I had no clutch Judder
108,000 miles clutch was ok but slave failed
Check your fluid level Is it dropping
Judder could be engine mounts
I left my clutch change to my local garage and I think they underestimated the job
They also snapped the plastic Turbo hose which is par for the course I believe
Big job but possible

John F
Re clutch judder. I take your point about the engine mounts but why would it disappear after several take offs in first gear? I feel if it was engine mounts it would be there all the time. I have not checked the fluid level yet but have no leaks at bell housing as I have no plastic undertray fitted at the moment and can see that its dry. cheers turbo d.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 18:00   #8
john f

Good point you would have thought the judder would there all of the time with duff mounts
so is the clutch having fluid leak on to it overnight which is burnt of with a few starts ?
if leaking would it not drip on to the clutch all of the time ?
I am just thinking that the clutch change is such a big task that if there is any hope of another fault look at that first
If it were me I would give the clutch some serious slipping until I could smell it and see what happens after that , cost £0.00 intially
John F
john f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 21:02   #9
turbo d
paneuro

Hi, I think I will just treat it with caution for the moment until I gather a bit more information rather than abuse it before I know exactly how to go about this job. I would like to know for example how much height the car needs to be of the ground, the recommended make of clutch plate/pressure plate and slave etc. I might even be able to borrow the right tools for the job if I am lucky. cheers turbo d.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 21:56   #10
Backhill1
Master Member

When my CSC went i had no slip or symptoms other than you pressed the pedal and nothing happened, tried again nothing then fine for the rest of the day / week. then again intermittently.

I initially thought it just needed bled as air in the system but fluid loss was the confirmer. It would drop from max-min after it had done this once or twice and needed topped up.

If your CSC is leaking oil you WILL have fluid loss level change from the brake fluid reservoir.
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote