Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Painting dilema

Views : 1665

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 16:14   #21
griston64
Premier Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxPw...2%80%99sGarage
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 16:14   #22
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I've heard oudorless thinners mixed with boiled linseed oil brings them up a treat
You can also use peanut butter 😂 get the neighbourhood dogs licking your bumpers as they walk past too.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 16:21   #23
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
You can also use peanut butter 😂 get the neighbourhood dogs licking your bumpers as they walk past too.
Smooth or crunchy ??
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 16:33   #24
bob12
bob12

For the faded bumpers and other similar trim items.

I originally used Simonize Back to Black but that's rubbish these days. I then moved to peanut butter (smooth) but found the local squirrels and young fox cubs liked it and started chewing a mudflaps! I then moved on to peanut oil which was much more easy to apply.

Nothing lasts forever and these days I prefer using a heat gun (carefully) or linseed/peanut or vegetable oil. Anything that draws out the natural oils in the plastic or replenishes them seems to work but all only for only a limited time.

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Dec 2nd, 2020 at 18:48.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 18:10   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
940's had colour coded mirrors and some had the colour coded strips on the bumper as well
I forgot about the later/higher spec models Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Wine745 View Post
Thanks guys,
Mine is the 740 SE, 1990.
So I thought original was black plastic. Perhaps it was originally grey??? If it was I would leave it grey....
Dave, What your previous owner did is exactly what I want to avoid. I don't want to bling it up I would prefer to leave as is than that.
All, I agree the 960's look great with the colour coded mirrors and bumpers but I think mine never had them.
Mark, the profile of your car looks fab, (I know it is 940 and I know it is Regent Red) but that is why I though to bring it back to original black, but now if indeed it ever was black....
Sorry, I intended to include this picture the first time....
I'm 99% certain your bumpers were originally a dark grey Mike, not quite black but not really grey either :

^^^^^^^ In need of a wash shortly after i got it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 18:53   #26
bob12
bob12

Dave, when you have a red painted 1990 motor dealing with what were once black bumpers and trim is the least of one's 'colourwise' concerns!!

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 19:19   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Dave, when you have a red painted 1990 motor dealing with what were once black bumpers and trim is the least of one's 'colourwise' concerns!!

Bob
My 32 year old bumpers are a nice shade of Silver-Green Bob so i'm not worried for myself, i think Mike is in a quandary over what to do with his though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2020, 22:10   #28
90Wine745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
My 32 year old bumpers are a nice shade of Silver-Green Bob so i'm not worried for myself, i think Mike is in a quandary over what to do with his though!
Thank you all so much.
Yes, I am certainly in a quandary. I also think you might be right about the colour Dave. Neither black nor grey.

Interesting all the alternatives to help 'restore' the look of the bumpers. I guess the common thread is 'anything that draws out the natural oils in the plastic or replenishes them' as Bob says. This really sounds like the appropriate way, need to keep the wild animals away though.
Actually, I have used Autoglym bumper gel to great effect earlier in the year. I have to say I like the sound of the boiled linseed oil, thanks Mark .....
I don't mind rubbing something into the bumpers if it the best way to go.

Actually based on Dave's suggestions earlier in the year to periodically rub silicone into my rubber seals they are certainly as good as new now.
See thread here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=305454

The other thing I notice from your replies is no real recommendation for a paint job.

All ideas welcome. Again, thanks,I appreciate every comment.
Mike
90Wine745 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 21:09   #29
90Wine745

This is an old post but just to update.....
I decided to go with a paint job, original pictures above, I am really happy with the job. I got a professional to do it.
We'll see how long it lasts...........
Mike
90Wine745 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 11:06   #30
TonyS9
Premier Member

I think many people assumed you intended to body colour paint, but "original look" paint is really all you can do with faded raw plastic. The plastic itself has degraded from UV and age, there is no material/chemical that can restore that. Any "treatment" is just wetting it and will dry or get rinsed out in a few months.

I got it done for the 360 bumper insert strips which were damaged, but the body painter ruined it with wax damage. I gave them the bumpers apart to paint in body colour (as per original) but on assembly I noticed they missed a bit (quite a few bits), it had taken 6 mths to get the bumpers back off them after getting the car, so when it went for its final defect fixing they ruined the black plastic paint which is not 2k. Quite a depressing exercise in restoration, but I ended up using the car on the track alot (with different bumpers drilled for cooling).

In summary the plastic look paint can be delicate so don't get wax on it.

Also interesting to note that some 940's have a painted lower portion bumper, these seem to be the same ones that have the body painted wing mirrors. My 95 940 Turbo SE has this.

Last edited by TonyS9; Apr 15th, 2021 at 11:11.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: