Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

745 GL - Carb or injection?

Views : 1957

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2020, 13:52   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Mine is an SE 88MY with K-Jet, also owned a few GL's with K-Jet
Never come across the K-Jet on anything other than the GLE models - GL Einspritzt - German for injection is how it originally came about on the old 164E/GLE but there is a school of thought that Volvo changed the meaning of the "E" in the mid-late 80s to "Executive".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
They were still making 340s with carbs in 1991. 1993 was the year Cats and injection basically became a requirement. Injection was a sports options up to then.
Cats were mandatory on new cars sold from 1/1/1992 Tony :

"In 1992 catalytic converters became compulsory on all new cars sold in Europe. The impact has been dramatic - in the UK alone, harmful road transport emissions have fallen by 45%. This figure is set to fall yet further as older cars are gradually replaced with newer ones which meet the higher EU emissions standards"

https://www.tenneco.com/catalytic_co...ns%20standards

Basically from K reg onwards although some cars are still given a dispensation up to 1994/95 time whereby they don't necessarily have to meet the emissions (a BET test is used instead) and/or don't even need a cat. Further a car made after that time can legally have the cat removed if an LPG conversion is carried out but it must still meet the required emissions for that specification which is generally the same as a BET of 3.5% CO max and 1200ppm HC.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 14:21   #12
bob12
bob12

In the model year 89/90 engine options for 740/5 non-catalyser models were:

Base - B230KH
GL and SE - B200E
Turbo - B230GT
GLE - B230E

As of 1 Jan '90 all models including 760's were offered with the free option of upgrading to catalyser xxxx'F' engines (LH2.4).

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 15:27   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
In the model year 89/90 engine options for 740/5 non-catalyser models were:

Base - B230KH
GL and SE - B200E
Turbo - B230GT
GLE - B230E

As of 1 Jan '90 all models including 760's were offered with the free option of upgrading to catalyser xxxx'F' engines (LH2.4).

Bob
Thanks for that information Bob - not sure a catalytic converter is an upgrade though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 16:51   #14
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Thanks for that information Bob - not sure a catalytic converter is an upgrade though!
..... but that meant it came with LH2.4 which I prefer. A fact unbeknownst to many ordinary folk in early 1990 and especially the Publisher of that magical mystery 740/60 manual who took 13 years to put out a proper updated edition incorporating some detail on LH2.4. I recall scratching my head for a long time in 1990 trying to work out what the hell was under the bonnet as it didn't look like anything in the book!!

Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 17:49   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
..... but that meant it came with LH2.4 which I prefer. A fact unbeknownst to many ordinary folk in early 1990 and especially the Publisher of that magical mystery 740/60 manual who took 13 years to put out a proper updated edition incorporating some detail on LH2.4. I recall scratching my head for a long time in 1990 trying to work out what the hell was under the bonnet as it didn't look like anything in the book!!

Bob
On mine Bob, output with the LH2.2 (almost the same as LH2.4 except no Lambda sensor) is 170bhp - with the cat and Lambda, it drops to 143bhp if memory serves.

That would also correspond to a similar percentage increase in fuel consumption against a well-maintained LH2.2.

However, a similar comparison isn't available between the B230E and B230F as the B230E had K-Jet, although that could also be ordered with the KE-Jetronic which had a Lambda sensor, cat and a device (i can't remember the exact nature of the device now) to alter the fuel pressure to maintain the mixture correctly.

Even after 28 (nearly 29) years, i'm still unconvinced that paralytic perverters (as i prefer to call them) are actually any benefit in the real world. They increase the loading on the engine by reducing the efficiency of the exhaust resulting in increased fuel consumption, they produce H2S (Hydrogen Sulphide) gas which is highly toxic as well as stinking of rotten eggs and for many people, are now the subject of theft from their vehicles.

To me, that's a lose-lose-lose situation!

Old Nov 21st, 2020, 14:31   #16
bob12
bob12

Thanks Dave ...I remember complaining to the dealer when mine went in for its free warranty service about the stink from under the drivers side!! 31 years later still there. They don't build cats like they used to!

My handbook states outputs for the B230E - 131hp @ 5500rpm / B230K - 117hp @ 5200rpm / B230F- 116hp @ 5400rpm. Naturally a 'T' on the end of the latter dramatically increases the output to 165hp @ 4800 rpm.

Bob
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 14:45   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave ...I remember complaining to the dealer when mine went in for its free warranty service about the stink from under the drivers side!! 31 years later still there. They don't build cats like they used to!

My handbook states outputs for the B230E - 131hp @ 5500rpm / B230K - 117hp @ 5200rpm / B230F- 116hp @ 5400rpm. Naturally a 'T' on the end of the latter dramatically increases the output to 165hp @ 4800 rpm.

Bob
Useful stuff there Bob, as i've always understood things, the B230K is the new "name" for the B230A aka the carb version?

Interesting the outputs are near identical for the carb and injection (B230F) against the B230E at 131/133bhp (depending on book you've got, i've had two allegedly identical handbooks and different figures!) and does your book also show the B230FK which i believe is 135bhp?

Old Nov 21st, 2020, 15:59   #18
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Useful stuff there Bob, as i've always understood things, the B230K is the new "name" for the B230A aka the carb version?

Interesting the outputs are near identical for the carb and injection (B230F) against the B230E at 131/133bhp (depending on book you've got, i've had two allegedly identical handbooks and different figures!) and does your book also show the B230FK which i believe is 135bhp?
Yes, B230FK in my 1996 940 is 135bhp.

When I look for parts its a 1996 2.3ti 135bhp.

I also liked the B230E engine in my 240GLT. Both great with the AW70 auto gearbox.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 16:34   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Yes, B230FK in my 1996 940 is 135bhp.

When I look for parts its a 1996 2.3ti 135bhp.

I also liked the B230E engine in my 240GLT. Both great with the AW70 auto gearbox.

James.
That's what i thought James, i've heard they list it as a 2.3ti, i still don't get why Volvo only gave the LPT 135bhp, makes the turbo seem a bit pointless really against the B230E and its 133bhp +/-2bhp depending on your reference source.

I know when Vauxhall did the Astra TD (mid 90s so Mk3 Astra) the n/asp 1.7D was ~54bhp, the LPT was ~70bhp and the HPT was ~90bhp so if Volvo had followed the same pattern, the B230F was 116bhp so i would think a better arrangement would have been 145-150bhp for the B230FK and 170-180bhp for the B230FT and would have been more in-line with what other manufacturers were doing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 18:46   #20
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
That's what i thought James, i've heard they list it as a 2.3ti, i still don't get why Volvo only gave the LPT 135bhp, makes the turbo seem a bit pointless really against the B230E and its 133bhp +/-2bhp depending on your reference source.

I know when Vauxhall did the Astra TD (mid 90s so Mk3 Astra) the n/asp 1.7D was ~54bhp, the LPT was ~70bhp and the HPT was ~90bhp so if Volvo had followed the same pattern, the B230F was 116bhp so i would think a better arrangement would have been 145-150bhp for the B230FK and 170-180bhp for the B230FT and would have been more in-line with what other manufacturers were doing.
It is strange as you say. Probably being conservative, thought a Volvo with high horse power not the right thing.

Look at the early 760 Turbo intercooler. This was high horse power but not repeated.

Never driven a HPT version 940 with 165bhp. Would imagine quite good.

The thing I like about my LPT is no Turbo lag. Quite responsive. I'm sure if I fitted a MBC I would love it even more. Insurance probably wouldn't as a mod to declare.

James

Last edited by volvo always; Nov 21st, 2020 at 18:50.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: