Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Internal LED bulbs issue

Views : 1008

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2020, 14:10   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Default Internal LED bulbs issue

Hi folks, i bought these for the internal lights.

1. They work in the boot fine
  2. they do not work in the rear seat area
  3. they work fine in the front, inc reading, BUT, if the car is unlocked (key out) or ignition on, they are lit at about 1%'ish

Any thoughts please?
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 15:16   #2
Spike56
Master Member

Polarity issue? Some bulbs will only light if correctly aligned. Change the bulb end on end, or rotate? Some LEDs retain power and glow very dimly for some time.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 01:17   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
Polarity issue? Some bulbs will only light if correctly aligned. Change the bulb end on end, or rotate? Some LEDs retain power and glow very dimly for some time.
I didn't know that, unlikely both when in the wrong way round, but I need to buy some more now then as I am 2 short, they are a little bit shorter and thinner on the connections, had to close them up a bit to take purchase. I will try both ways around but cannot rotate as they only have the LED on one side.

I didn't know they retain leccy after a certain period, is this just car bulbs? I ask because I have 4 different makes and wattage bulbs in the house, ranging from 7 up to 13 or 14w and none of them retains any power, be it mains on/LED off or mains off/LED off, all wifi smart bulbs.

One small point that ya may have overlooked, when I keyfob the doors locked, all lights go out including the boot space LED (same LED bulb as shown in OP), yet the ones in the front stay on (dim) even after the lights off even after the timeout has passed, surely the boot LED would also stay on dimly lit as the fronts do, no?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 07:16   #4
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

The lights inside the cabin are controlled by yet another Volvo electronic module. The interior bulbs are part of the circuit, ie the correct current has to flow for the circuit to function properly.
I see you bought CAN-Bus type LED bulbs which is good, however they need to be very closely matched in terms of load for the control circuit to function just as it did with conventional bulbs.
You could measure the current through a bulb using a multimeter with the standard and then the LEDs. It is possible to add extra resistance in parallel with the LED bulb to increase current if needed. You'd need measurements to know if this is needed and to calculate what value and power rated of resistor.
As mentioned above, some LED bulbs have to be used the correct way round for polarity, not all though, some work both ways. Saying that, try them both ways to see if one way works better than the other.
The actual LED part of the bulb requires much less current to glow than standard bulbs. I think the glow you are seeing is leakage current because the circuit isn't quite working as it should due to the load being different.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 07:22   #5
Bashy
Aged Member

Yeah, i think ya right, i drove 6 miles just this morning in the dark and they were still lit, I will try them the other way round but, I very much doubt that all 5 bulbs are the wrong way round, what are the odds on that? the boot light is also lit, I didn't notice that when I did it, I thought when it went out that was it lol

Looks like I will be emailing the seller.

And on that note, anyone point me to some tried and tested (in ya V70) festoon bulbs, please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201121_065646_compress9.jpg (86.9 KB, 14 views)
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 10:20   #6
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

dont worry too much, the car goes into a hard power down a while after you lock it and turns off extra stuff.

but in my experience you need all the bulbs in to draw enough juice to prevent them glowinng faintly ( the total resistance is just enough to extinguish but with a few bulbs not installed its not enough drain)
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barrybritcher For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 10:34   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
dont worry too much, the car goes into a hard power down a while after you lock it and turns off extra stuff.

but in my experience you need all the bulbs in to draw enough juice to prevent them glowinng faintly ( the total resistance is just enough to extinguish but with a few bulbs not installed its not enough drain)
All bulbs are installed, just that the 2 for the rear passenger are normal bulbs, are you saying that when they are all led, they will work properly? Thing is, o leave the car unlocked many times and if it's unlocked, they will draw power what with being dimly lit
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:01   #8
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

looks like in this case you'll need some with resistors in.

I use the ones from here

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/fizzmouk
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:41   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
looks like in this case you'll need some with resistors in.

I use the ones from here

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/fizzmouk
Yeah, won't be doing that lol, prob best in the bin then, thanks for the link, is it these ones,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-LED-264....m46890.l49292

Just wanna make sure this time, typical of it being 6 when I need 7 lol
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:44   #10
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

No I got the smd style. Ie flat led