Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VOC app, car location while driving

Views : 823

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2019, 22:08   #1
dling

Default VOC app, car location while driving

Today I just found out that when you open VOC app and the car is on and you get the “car is in use” message, you can tap the map button and see the real time location of the car.

I am 95% sure this was not possible before. If I’m not wrong I remember there was a guy here whose car was stolen and he was not even able to get the location from Volvo directly.

Can anyone help me understand if this is indeed a new feature of VOC app, or it was always there but I was so ignorant and never pressed the map button?

Thanks
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 22:45   #2
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Default Glympse App

Quote:
Originally Posted by dling View Post
Today I just found out that when you open VOC app and the car is on and you get the “car is in use” message, you can tap the map button and see the real time location of the car.

I am 95% sure this was not possible before. If I’m not wrong I remember there was a guy here whose car was stolen and he was not even able to get the location from Volvo directly.

Can anyone help me understand if this is indeed a new feature of VOC app, or it was always there but I was so ignorant and never pressed the map button?

Thanks
The above question was never satisfactorily answered on this forum as some owners in the past said they could see their car’s location whilst “in use” but the majority (including myself) have never been able to for the 3 Volvo’s I have owned that had VOC installed.

But I have found an alternative this week using the car’s already installed Glympse App.
For the 1st time in the 12 months of ownership of my latest XC60 I was a passenger yesterday so I started playing with the built in SENUS Apps most of which I had ignored as my iPhone could do the same much faster.
When I tried Glympse for the 1st time & set up the corresponding App on my iPhone I found with the correct Account/App privacy settings that I was able to view my car’s location & direction of travel, etc whilst a passenger in the car, likewise I can view the car’s location anytime just as on the VOC app.

So the end result is that I should be able to now ‘view’ my car’s location at any stage whilst it is being driven away should it be stolen unlike the VOC’s useless failings in this area.

Has anyone else used this App?
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 07:20   #3
dling

I use glympse quite often to report to the loved ones where I am, thus avoiding the “where are you? When do you arrive?” Calls. But never thought about installing the phone app... will do that.

Now, after reading your post, I realized that yesterday when I checked the location in VOC and it was working, I was actually in the car, connected via Bluetooth to sensus. In the past, when it was not working, I was always at home and someone else was driving.

This could also justify the split answers in this forum.

Next time I have the chance I will test it.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 11:21   #4
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dling View Post
I use glympse quite often to report to the loved ones where I am, thus avoiding the “where are you? When do you arrive?” Calls. But never thought about installing the phone app... will do that.

Now, after reading your post, I realized that yesterday when I checked the location in VOC and it was working, I was actually in the car, connected via Bluetooth to sensus. In the past, when it was not working, I was always at home and someone else was driving.

This could also justify the split answers in this forum.

Next time I have the chance I will test it.
If my memory serves me correct, then I believe the only owners who could see their location whilst the car was being driven via the VOC app were T8 owners - as in your case but not in mine.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 11:47   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
The above question was never satisfactorily answered on this forum as some owners in the past said they could see their car’s location whilst “in use” but the majority (including myself) have never been able to for the 3 Volvo’s I have owned that had VOC installed.

But I have found an alternative this week using the car’s already installed Glympse App.
For the 1st time in the 12 months of ownership of my latest XC60 I was a passenger yesterday so I started playing with the built in SENUS Apps most of which I had ignored as my iPhone could do the same much faster.
When I tried Glympse for the 1st time & set up the corresponding App on my iPhone I found with the correct Account/App privacy settings that I was able to view my car’s location & direction of travel, etc whilst a passenger in the car, likewise I can view the car’s location anytime just as on the VOC app.

So the end result is that I should be able to now ‘view’ my car’s location at any stage whilst it is being driven away should it be stolen unlike the VOC’s useless failings in this area.

Has anyone else used this App?
The VOC call centre will only give the car's location to the police directly this has been the case since it was introduced 20 years ago ...
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 13:13   #6
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Looking at the app it looks like you have to go into the app to share you’re position and then set the time limit. Is there any way of permanently sharing the position without having to go into the app every time
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 21:27   #7
dling

Alright, mystery solved! The location that I saw while driving was the blue dot symbolizing the location of my phone (which was obviously inside the car). The small car icon symbolizing the car’s location is not visible while the car is running.

Sorry for an useless topic on this forum...there is no update and no location while the ignition is on.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to dling For This Useful Post: