Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing to 2DIN Radio

Views : 386

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2019, 11:03   #1
TheUnexpected

Default Changing to 2DIN Radio

After reading a lot on this and Dutch Forums i'm a bit puzzeled on how to install a 2 DIN radio to replace the standard HU1205.

A bit of background, me and 3 friends finally found a V40 fitting our wishlist for a roadtrip through the main part of Europe. However we would like to play some music, and HU1205 has (as you guys will know) no AUX, Bluetooth or even USB. So I went forward (bit of time concern as we leave in 3 weeks), and bought a 2 DIN chinese stereo on AliExpress.

There are a few things I am not able to retrieve and raise some concerns:

- If i decide to keep the HU1205 bracket (for which I wil have to use a dremel) will it be destroyed in such a way that de HU1205 can't be retrofitted after the roadtrip? (we might considering reselling)
- I will need some specific cable(adapter) for the replacement-stereo to work, but cannot find a conclusive answer on what type this is.
- Will replacing the original bracket with a dedicated 2 DIN bracket, require me to remove any more panels such as the A/C controller?

Any advice? We are on a budget.

If there is anybody who has done this before and is willing to help me/us out it will be highly appreciated.
Furthermore: It's Volvo V40 2.0T from 2001

Last edited by TheUnexpected; Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:40.
TheUnexpected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 19:33   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The 2 main things you'll need is the harness adaptor that goes from the cars Volvo wiring to the conventional ISO connectors that 99 percent of aftermarket stereos come with, and the aerial adaptor, which again plugs into the cars aerial connector and makes it into a regular push in connector, the harness adaptor part number is autoleads pc2-71-4, I'm as sure as I can be without pulling my own stereo out to check, pretty much certian that's the one, the aerial adaptor is autoleads pc5-89.

If your car has the factory subwoofer then things get interesting depending on whether it has the passive sub and amp or the non passive one, one type works as is off the aforementioned adaptor through the speaker cables, the other type works off a din type connector that plugs into the HU, the later type necesatating further adaptors that plug into that din plug and turn into RCA type connectors, so if you have this type then be sure that your new unit has RCA pre outs, otherwise there won't be anything to run the sub and amp from, the part number for that is autoleads pc9-414.

However, if your new stereo only has one set of rca pre outs you'll need a splitter that goes from 1 female to 2 male connections, you'll need 2 of these, one for left and one for right, the part number for those is autoleads 011m, but do make sure you definitely order ones that go 1f to 2m, and not the other way round by mistake, which i did, twice haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PicsArt_07-10-06.41.16.jpg (148.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg PicsArt_07-10-06.42.30.jpg (140.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg PicsArt_07-10-06.43.15.jpg (121.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg PicsArt_07-10-06.44.15.jpg (95.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by clarkey1984; Jul 10th, 2019 at 19:45.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clarkey1984 For This Useful Post:

Tags
2din, hu1205