Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reduced Engine Performance message XC60

Views : 20056

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2019, 17:45   #1
ScarlettLady

Question Reduced Engine Performance message XC60

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can throw some light on a problem I'm having with my XC60 (2015). I had it in a dealership a couple of months ago to have the battery replaced (stop/go system not working) and this now works ok. Whilst in the dealership, they took it upon themselves to do a software update. Since having the software update I have a message which comes on "reduced engine performance" with a turtle next to it. This message never came on in the past and has only started since the update!

Since then, it is sluggish, lacking power and exceleration in the lower gears and seems to 'judder' until you put your foot down. For various reasons, I wasn't happy with the customer service received from the dealership so took it to a local Volvo independant garage. They've cleaned various things out and put a new manifold on which has helped a bit, but it still doesn't drive well (in my opinion), it should be smooth and responsive and it isn't. It also stalls as it needs plenty of gas when in first gear and moving away. The message "reduced engine performance" still comes on sometimes which can't be right? Has anyone had anything similar or can anyone give me any ideas what I should be doing?

Also, when the independant garage did the diagnostic check, it came up with the following message "CEM U030141 Software incompatibility with ECM/PCM - System internal failures - general checksum failure", does anyone know what that means???

I changed to the XC60 last November, I'd had a 2006 XC90 for 5-years and it was fabulous, never missed a beat and was a dream to drive, very costly on tax and fuel so decided to downsize to an XC60 and I'm now starting to feel somewhat disappointed. Any advice, greatly appreciated.
ScarlettLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 23:50   #2
HDAV
Master Member

Seems the software update may have caused an issue probably needs to go to a reputable dealer to look into the software issues, what engine and spec is the xc60 reduced performance could be. One of many things but dpf springs to mind do you do lots of short trips? Was the car low mileage when you bought it ?

There were egr issues on some models there was a recall get VIN checked hat the EGR cooler recall has been done...

New manifold seems an odd replacement ???

Last edited by HDAV; Jun 6th, 2019 at 23:56.
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 11:18   #3
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I'd start by speaking to the dealer who did the update as a Checksum error normally means the SW is either a) incorrect or b) corrupted. Are you sure the Indie didn't attempt to update any SW before reading the codes ?

New manifold seems to be more of a try this approach rather than a known fix, the code indicates software issue rather than any component.

Did any sensors get swapped as part of the manifold change ?
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 08:50   #4
simonjedrake
Premier Member

This is the answer - a known problem that a Volvo dealer will fix FOC
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 21:02   #5
gelo007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettLady View Post
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can throw some light on a problem I'm having with my XC60 (2015). I had it in a dealership a couple of months ago to have the battery replaced (stop/go system not working) and this now works ok. Whilst in the dealership, they took it upon themselves to do a software update. Since having the software update I have a message which comes on "reduced engine performance" with a turtle next to it. This message never came on in the past and has only started since the update!

Since then, it is sluggish, lacking power and exceleration in the lower gears and seems to 'judder' until you put your foot down. For various reasons, I wasn't happy with the customer service received from the dealership so took it to a local Volvo independant garage. They've cleaned various things out and put a new manifold on which has helped a bit, but it still doesn't drive well (in my opinion), it should be smooth and responsive and it isn't. It also stalls as it needs plenty of gas when in first gear and moving away. The message "reduced engine performance" still comes on sometimes which can't be right? Has anyone had anything similar or can anyone give me any ideas what I should be doing?

Also, when the independant garage did the diagnostic check, it came up with the following message "CEM U030141 Software incompatibility with ECM/PCM - System internal failures - general checksum failure", does anyone know what that means???

I changed to the XC60 last November, I'd had a 2006 XC90 for 5-years and it was fabulous, never missed a beat and was a dream to drive, very costly on tax and fuel so decided to downsize to an XC60 and I'm now starting to feel somewhat disappointed. Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Well, I had exactly the same issue as you. In the mid of May I approached the dealership (the authorized one) in order to fix the oil level gauge (prior to this I didn't knew in 2014 D4 VEA 181ps it will show only MAX, OK or MIN levels). I've been told there was a engine driver updated additionally. Since then I was facing issues with Reduced Engine Performance and Turtle. It was occuring when I was driving ~75 mph or faster. Since mid of May I was coming back to the dealership for further checks to know what is happening with my car. Each time they were telling me that they weren't able to reproduce the issue. Finally - it was 3rd or 4th time I approached them again and told to drive the car for more than 10-20 minutes with that speed. Then they confirmed that the issue occured and I left the car for around 3 days over there. It was not possible to deal with this issue by them locally and they got some tech support from Sweden. After this fix (applied last Monday) the issue has been resolved - the turtle icon didn't shown up again and I did already around 300 km (around 180 miles). Nevertheless, I still have this error UO30141 (and additionally P060C68).
gelo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 14:57   #6
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelo007 View Post
Well, I had exactly the same issue as you. In the mid of May I approached the dealership (the authorized one) in order to fix the oil level gauge (prior to this I didn't knew in 2014 D4 VEA 181ps it will show only MAX, OK or MIN levels). I've been told there was a engine driver updated additionally. Since then I was facing issues with Reduced Engine Performance and Turtle. It was occuring when I was driving ~75 mph or faster. Since mid of May I was coming back to the dealership for further checks to know what is happening with my car. Each time they were telling me that they weren't able to reproduce the issue. Finally - it was 3rd or 4th time I approached them again and told to drive the car for more than 10-20 minutes with that speed. Then they confirmed that the issue occured and I left the car for around 3 days over there. It was not possible to deal with this issue by them locally and they got some tech support from Sweden. After this fix (applied last Monday) the issue has been resolved - the turtle icon didn't shown up again and I did already around 300 km (around 180 miles). Nevertheless, I still have this error UO30141 (and additionally P060C68).
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...58#post2536858

Any info on the fix applied?
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 07:03   #7
gelo007

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdalebear View Post
That was a software fix but I don't have any details on it. I've just read your thread and for me the root cause of yours 'reduced engine performance' seems to be bit different. In my case this message popped-up after 10-15 miles.
gelo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gelo007 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 08:35   #8
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

I have not seen it since. As my car had only done 12.5k in 3 years all short trips, I suspect that having had a blast at motorway speed for the first time in its life may have a lot to do with it! There was probably a lot of gunge dislodged.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2021, 11:20   #9
Wojtek skrzypek

Same problem as above .Reduced engine performance.All garages gave me quote to do same job mean inlet manifold with fuel pipe £540 and another one £625 but only for inlet manifold.Decided for £540 and nothing helped.They read the codes and done repair.nothing helped.They pay attention to software issue and told me to get touch with main dealer.Already booked for 17th of may and will reply to you regarding what been done. Ps I had done as well at garage carbon clean for more than 1.15minutes but can’t see any different until performance back in place :-) regards my car is XC60 late December 2014 181BHP 126 on the clock
Wojtek skrzypek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 18:14   #10
jneish

Default Check Engine, P04D9, Reduced Engine Performance, P00BC

Take a look at my problems, now resolved
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=465

Last edited by jneish; Oct 7th, 2021 at 19:21.
jneish is offline   Reply With Quote