Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Park Assist Query

Views : 745

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2019, 21:08   #1
CondorXC90

Default Park Assist Query

Our "new-to-us" XC90 has rear park assist sensors and I would like to install front ones as well - is the ECU able to accommodate the two additional sensors or is this a much more complicated operation?

I had thought that this would be our "second car" and was meant for my partner, but despite really wanting it, she is still driving my E70 X5 and hasn't even driven the xc90 yet - I think I am going to end up with it, which I don't mind at all, but would feel much happier with front park assist and a reversing camera. It has factory fitted RTI so could likely accommodate the OEM rear camera but seems such modules are rare as hen's teeth, so am going to fit an aftermarket wireless one as per my other thread at least as an interim.

Any info re the front parking sensors and retrofitting would be welcome
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 21:25   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Yes, you can retrofit the Volvo sensors.

The control unit is in the boot, so it goes like this:

Remove front bumper, drill holes and fit sensors
Fit wiring loom from front of car all the way to rear left corner of car, plug into parking assist control unit (removing and refitting cladding along the way)
Enable from parking sensors at dealer with software config changes.

There's PDF instructions online, google for them
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 16:48   #3
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondorXC90 View Post
Our "new-to-us" XC90 has rear park assist sensors and I would like to install front ones as well - is the ECU able to accommodate the two additional sensors or is this a much more complicated operation?

I had thought that this would be our "second car" and was meant for my partner, but despite really wanting it, she is still driving my E70 X5 and hasn't even driven the xc90 yet - I think I am going to end up with it, which I don't mind at all, but would feel much happier with front park assist and a reversing camera. It has factory fitted RTI so could likely accommodate the OEM rear camera but seems such modules are rare as hen's teeth, so am going to fit an aftermarket wireless one as per my other thread at least as an interim.

Any info re the front parking sensors and retrofitting would be welcome
Why do you think that's the case?

Expensive - Yes - But rare? - Not really

https://www.volvopartshop.com/parkin...13-11371-p.asp

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 18:03   #4
CondorXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
Why do you think that's the case?

Expensive - Yes - But rare? - Not really

https://www.volvopartshop.com/parkin...13-11371-p.asp

Cheers

Dave
What I really meant was not often found in the used car parts market at reasonable prices.......I should have been clearer.....

I managed to fit the £61 reversing camera I bought as per the above link, just need to get the monitor wiring nicely tucked away somewhere. Works well.
Can't think many buyers of older XC90s would buy the retrofit camera at the new prices........
The Following User Says Thank You to CondorXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 18:07   #5
CondorXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post

Couldn't find any PDF instructions via Google for the OEM Retrofit front sensors. There is a used loom for sale at £110 , to which one would need to add two sensors as well for about £40 ish - but i can probably just have a set of front wireless sensors for far less money and achieve the same effect.......
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 20:17   #6
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Quote:
What I really meant was not often found in the used car parts market at reasonable prices.......I should have been clearer.....

I managed to fit the £61 reversing camera I bought as per the above link, just need to get the monitor wiring nicely tucked away somewhere. Works well.
Can't think many buyers of older XC90s would buy the retrofit camera at the new prices........
Understood

I splashed out on the OEM camera and had the dealer fit it - £230 well spent for the fitting - I coundn't face ripping the dash apart and I reckon it took them well over the 2.3 hours their book gives them.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 22:12   #7
CondorXC90

Quote:
Understood

I splashed out on the OEM camera and had the dealer fit it - £230 well spent for the fitting - I coundn't face ripping the dash apart and I reckon it took them well over the 2.3 hours their book gives them.

Cheers

Dave
Fitting the OEM one looks like it's definitely not for the inexperienced and very much a dealer job - I would have done the same, but just didn't have another £800 ish after buying the car, and then £500 for a set of winter wheels which were very new with very low mileage Nokian winters - - wasn't expecting the demise of our lovely old 4.8is X5 and it was a big financial hit. In hindsight, I should have bought a slightly newer model and looked for that rear camera in the spec.......and front parking sensors!
The Following User Says Thank You to CondorXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 00:31   #8
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Understood

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave, did you just have the rear camera fitted or is it also possible to fit a front one ? Saw some nice aftermarket ones on eBay that should fit the lower part of the Volvo emblem but want it connected to the RTI .....
£230 sounds a very fair price, who is your dealer ?

Find me on Instagram as SussexChineseDutch
AlainBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 00:35   #9
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Couldn't find any PDF instructions via Google for the OEM Retrofit front sensors. There is a used loom for sale at £110 , to which one would need to add two sensors as well for about £40 ish - but i can probably just have a set of front wireless sensors for far less money and achieve the same effect.......
Hi Condor,

have you managed to fit the front parking sensors and if so, how do they work ? Why only two sensors and not four ? Did you go for aftermarkets or for OEM ?
I live near the seafront in the city center of Brighton so front ones are a must, probably with camera's too :-(

Thank you for exploring this issue already :-)

Cheers,
Alain

Old Dec 17th, 2019, 00:36   #10
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post

The control unit is in the boot, so it goes like this:

Remove front bumper, drill holes and fit sensors
Fit wiring loom from front of car all the way to rear left corner of car, plug into parking assist control unit (removing and refitting cladding along the way)
Enable from parking sensors at dealer with software config changes.

This is very helpful information, will tell my garage to follow your instructions. After this is done, a visit to the dealership is essential to make the module "speak" to the control unit I understand from the above, Swiss ?

Cheers,
Alain