Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Grey smoke on start; valve stem seals?

Views : 823

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2019, 20:45   #1
Asosis

Default Grey smoke on start; valve stem seals?

Hi I own a 1999 S40 T4, phase 1.5 (1.9t), and my car has begun to puff out a great grey smoke cloud for 4-5 seconds on SOME start ups, doesn't matter if the car is cold or warm.
I decided to check the pcv system, but it all seems fine, no clocked lines.
Pulled out the spark plugs, and noticed 1 of them looked like this https://imgur.com/a/hGiGW16 ... Looking into the cylinder of that bad spark plug, I found what looks to be a pool of oil https://imgur.com/a/3oJ2oIR , compared to the cylinder next to it https://imgur.com/a/Z3S7tXE
Engine runs great, and there's no smoke after those initial couple of seconds.. Doesn't use ANY water.
I did the rubber glove test (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nfLL5GpgxQ), and it sucked the entire glove into the engine (Had it fastened with zipties so it wouldn't disappear in there.)
Could this be anything other than a valve stem seal leaking onto the piston when the car is turned off?

This is an example of one of the times when it started smoking https://youtu.be/yLAalVRVw_A

Cheers

Last edited by Asosis; Jun 27th, 2019 at 21:00.
Asosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 10:02   #2
m0eeb

Default Grey smoke on start; valve stem seals?

I used to work at an engine remanufacturing company and we would come across this problem frequently chances are the valve guides will be worn and also the stem seals, my advice is as the car is of a certain age just leave it but check the oil on a regular basis.
The fact that it clears after a few minutes is a tell tale sign that on stand still the oil that's in the top end is seeping past the stem seals and going down the guides into the fireing chamber.
I had a Toyota Celica with the same problem it ran for years.
Hope that helps.
m0eeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 10:05   #3
Asosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0eeb View Post
I used to work at an engine remanufacturing company and we would come across this problem frequently chances are the valve guides will be worn and also the stem seals, my advice is as the car is of a certain age just leave it but check the oil on a regular basis.
The fact that it clears after a few minutes is a tell tale sign that on stand still the oil that's in the top end is seeping past the stem seals and going down the guides into the fireing chamber.
I had a Toyota Celica with the same problem it ran for years.
Hope that helps.
My exact thought, but it started this morning without any smoke what so ever.. Shouldn't it smoke every time if it was bad stem seals?
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 06:53   #4
difflock54

Stem seal issues or worn valve guides will often show up after coasting down long inclines in gear and then accelerating at the bottom. Looking in the rear view mirror a cloud of swirling smoke will be evident for a few seconds behind the car. (white or blue in color)
difflock54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 20:31   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

My 2002 t4 smokes ever so slightly on startup but nothing at all when driving once up to temperature, apart from after idling once warm, no smoke any other times but absolute plumes of it when you pull away, traffic build up at slowly phasing traffic lights was a perfect scenario where it does it, a garage has had it and said it's not the stem seals the valve guides or the turbo seals, they've told me it must be something bottom end related, although how they've come to the conclusion that it's none of the above I don't know.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 20:38   #6
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Accidentally double posted.
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 11:34   #7
Asosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by difflock54 View Post
Stem seal issues or worn valve guides will often show up after coasting down long inclines in gear and then accelerating at the bottom. Looking in the rear view mirror a cloud of swirling smoke will be evident for a few seconds behind the car. (white or blue in color)
Heyo again, after driving like a grandma since starting this thread, it's only smoked on start up a handful of times.. Pretty much only after I've driven it a tiny bit hard..

It doesn't smoke what so ever after coasting down an incline in gear, and there's no smoke when idling, neither warm or cold..
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 11:19   #8
difflock54

When she does smoke like in the video clip is there a strong smell of unburned fuel or oil.
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 11:20   #9
Asosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by difflock54 View Post
When she does smoke like in the video clip is there a strong smell of unburned fuel or oil.
Smells a lot like burnt coal, a grill kind of smell. I'm guessing thats oil? Doesn't smell like fuel or coolant anyway
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 13:54   #10
difflock54

I am wondering if your smoke could be down to early stage oil seal failure of your turbo. Oil leaking into the turbo gets forced into the exhaust manifold and then expelled.
Would explain the smoke when just started up as the oil buildup is removed.

I'm not an expert on turbos so maybe a member with more knowledge can confirm or offer their views on this theory.
Googling seems to indicate it may be related???