Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D 115 lacking power, idle and noise issues

Views : 1225

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 21:04   #1
Dirty Diesel

Question V40 1.9D 115 lacking power, idle and noise issues

Hello,

I'll get straight to the point. I've got a 2004 V40 1.9D 115, and it's had power problems for a good while now, probably half of the time I've owned it.

I've replaced so many parts already: turbo, MAF sensor, Vacuum Control Solenoid (on it's THIRD one), intercooler pipe to intake manifold gasket (not sure exactly what it's called). I recently carried out a minor service, but with a fuel filter, which didn't affect anything. I've spoken to multiple people, including the ever knowledgeable Mr. Gatos, and we've been stumped.

To be frank, I'm pulling my hair out with the car. If I could at least have the engine running right again, I'd be a lot happier.

I've had a guess at possibly injectors, but I think it could be another vacuum or possibly blocked catalytic converter issue, but can't say for certain.

The symptoms are: lack of power (I'd estimate 20-30 horsepower), puffing black smoke (albeit a lot less than it did before I fitted the intercooler pipe gasket), an odd idle, where it'll slightly drop it's revs then return to normal (it almost seems to be worse whenever it's colder, regardless of whether the engine is to temperature or not), and sounding far too loud at about 1600-1900RPM, almost like it's got an exhaust leak or intercooler pipe split.

I've check all the intercooler pipework and can't find anything wrong, no splits or anything. Also visually inspected the intercooler and found no obvious damage or any oily patches. Also checked the vacuum pipes for leaks and didn't find anything. I'm honestly stumped as to what could be causing it.

Compared to what a 1.9D 115 normal feels like, it feels sluggish, especially noticable in higher gears.

If anyone could give any sort of advice or insight on my situation, that'd be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance

Edit: I just realised that I made nearly the exact same post a few months ago, with one or two differences with the symptoms experienced. No conclusion was drawn, so feel free to take a look at that too: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293865

Last edited by Dirty Diesel; Jul 2nd, 2019 at 21:22.
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 03:32   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Diesel View Post
The symptoms are: lack of power (I'd estimate 20-30 horsepower), puffing black smoke (albeit a lot less than it did before I fitted the intercooler pipe gasket), an odd idle, where it'll slightly drop it's revs then return to normal (it almost seems to be worse whenever it's colder, regardless of whether the engine is to temperature or not), and sounding far too loud at about 1600-1900RPM, almost like it's got an exhaust leak or intercooler pipe split.
Have you pressure tested the intercooler? And have you also considered the engine could be starved of sufficient fuel flow? Go to the fuel tank and check the in-tank pick up is clear...see here. It won't cost you anything to check.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 06:25   #3
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Have you pressure tested the intercooler? And have you also considered the engine could be starved of sufficient fuel flow? Go to the fuel tank and check the in-tank pick up is clear...see here. It won't cost you anything to check.
That would require dropping the fuel tank, right? How big of a job is that?
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 12:58   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
That would require dropping the fuel tank, right? How big of a job is that?
No need to drop the tank. Have a look under the base and carpet of the rear seat you'll find an inspection panel through which you can gain access. A clean dry brush and vacuum cleaner to remove any heavy dust deposits prior to removing the the quick release connections and retaining ring. Note/mark/photo the position of the sender unit so that the fuel level float returns to its original position on reassembly. Try not to bend the float out of shape on removal of the unit.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 13:11   #5
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
No need to drop the tank. Have a look under the base and carpet of the rear seat you'll find an inspection panel through which you can gain access. A clean dry brush and vacuum cleaner to remove any heavy dust deposits prior to removing the the quick release connections and retaining ring. Note/mark/photo the position of the sender unit so that the fuel level float returns to its original position on reassembly. Try not to bend the float out of shape on removal of the unit.
Ahhh yes I know which panel you mean. I've helped remove one from a Nissan Micra before.

So back seats out, carpet out, unclip and remove the retaining ring, and lift the sender out from the tank? Sounds pretty simple.

Having said that, I do remember said Micra being a pain to get the ring off. Is there any specific method or tool to get them off on these cars?
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 13:51   #6
Baffler
Premier Member

The seats and sound proofing just fold forward with no need to remove. You'll see the quick release on the outlet and return...just push back the plastic tabs and the pipes should slip off with little or no effort. Have a few clean rags to hand to catch any spills.

There is a special 'H' type tool to remove the ring but most just use a suitable piece of lumbar with a light tap of a mallet alternating sides until it comes loose. Anticlockwise to remove. The ring is much tighter on petrol variants due to the effect petrol has on plastic/rubber over time.

Old Jul 6th, 2019, 14:19   #7
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
The seats and sound proofing just fold forward with no need to remove. You'll see the quick release on the outlet and return...just push back the plastic tabs and the pipes should slip off with little or no effort. Have a few clean rags to hand to catch any spills.

There is a special 'H' type tool to remove the ring but most just use a suitable piece of lumbar with a light tap of a mallet alternating sides until it comes loose. Anticlockwise to remove. The ring is much tighter on petrol variants due to the effect petrol has on plastic/rubber over time.
I've just removed the unit from my car, quite easy really. But it's come out in one big unit, float and sender. I'm assuming the sender is inside this plastic casing? How do I separate the two?

I tipped the diesel out into a container and it's got a lot of big dirt pieces floating around in it
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 14:27   #8
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
I've just removed the unit from my car, quite easy really. But it's come out in one big unit, float and sender. I'm assuming the sender is inside this plastic casing? How do I separate the two?

I tipped the diesel out into a container and it's got a lot of big dirt pieces floating around in it
Never mind this message, I've separated them now. Yes there is a fair bit of gung down there. Most of it came off the sender, but has the same pattern as the filter, so I think it was stuck to it
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 16:17   #9
aldred309uk

If there are lots of big dirt pieces in your tank this could be a main factor in your loss of power. As the fuel pump works it sucks those pieces of dirt and they slowly cover the sock causing fuel issues.
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 15:59   #10
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:

Quote:
Never mind this message, I've separated them now. Yes there is a fair bit of gung down there. Most of it came off the sender, but has the same pattern as the filter, so I think it was stuck to it
And...have you noticed any improvement with the idle and boost?

Tags
1.9d, erratic idle, lack of power, loud, smoke