Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D 115 lacking power, idle and noise issues

Views : 1182

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2019, 19:17   #11
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
And...have you noticed any improvement with the idle and boost?
Haven't had chance to drive the car since removing the unit. Will have to test drive the car during the week, as I'm away from home today.

I'll report back when I know how it drives
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 18:32   #12
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
And...have you noticed any improvement with the idle and boost?
Right, I've driven it home from work and just got back. Can't say about the idle speed, as I barely had it idling. But it doesn't feel any different power wise. In 2nd you can't really tell, but in 3rd it just doesn't have the same throw you back in the seat aspect that the 1.9D has.

Still sounds too loud at 1600-1900RPM too. Can't really notice much difference. At ½-⅔ throttle, it still seems fairly normal, but it's when you're at WOT that it just doesn't pick up the same. When it was running right, I could have it launch up a decent gradient of hill with now problems, and now I don't even get the same speed on a flat
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 19:02   #13
Scoobymolly

Check the cambelt timing.It only has to be 1 tooth out.Anymore than that,you'll bend valves.
See if there's any cam/crank correlation/synch codes.
Scoobymolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 20:19   #14
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobymolly View Post
Check the cambelt timing.It only has to be 1 tooth out.Anymore than that,you'll bend valves.
See if there's any cam/crank correlation/synch codes.
Last time I ran a code reader on the car (still having the same issues) it didn't come up with any codes whatsoever. How would I go about checking the timing?

Funnily enough I can hear the N75 Valve (vacuum control solenoid) buzzing again. Last time this happened, it was a brand new solenoid and needing replacing (currently on it's third solenoid
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 23:00   #15
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Diesel View Post
Last time I ran a code reader on the car (still having the same issues) it didn't come up with any codes whatsoever. How would I go about checking the timing?

Funnily enough I can hear the N75 Valve (vacuum control solenoid) buzzing again. Last time this happened, it was a brand new solenoid and needing replacing (currently on it's third solenoid
Just a thought: if a vacuum control solenoid starts buzzing/whining, wouldn't that indicate that could be under extra pressure, and buzzing noise is a result of it being incapable of doing it's job due to an air/vacuum leak?
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 05:20   #16
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Right, I've driven it home from work and just got back. Can't say about the idle speed, as I barely had it idling. But it doesn't feel any different power wise. In 2nd you can't really tell, but in 3rd it just doesn't have the same throw you back in the seat aspect that the 1.9D has.
Well, DD, at least you've ruled out the fuel supply from the tank to the engine. Remember to replace the fuel filter at some point (after you've got it sorted) as you've disturbed the sender and pipes etc. so some crud may make it's way to the filter and housing.

Quote:
Still sounds too loud at 1600-1900RPM too. Can't really notice much difference. At ½-⅔ throttle, it still seems fairly normal, but it's when you're at WOT that it just doesn't pick up the same. When it was running right, I could have it launch up a decent gradient of hill with now problems, and now I don't even get the same speed on a flat
When you say "still sounds too loud" ...as in air escaping or the engine labouring?

I'll go back to my first suggestion of pressure testing the intercooler as for when a diesel pops a boost hose or has split an intercooler it'll produce lots of black smoke due to incorrect fuel to air ratio. You may have a hairline crack somewhere which may also explain the odd idle.

If you think it's more like a labouring engine then you may need to check the cat isn't semi blocked with oil/carbon deposits. Again, the intercooler being the easier of the two to check.

Also...the lower boost hose off the bottom of the turbo were known to split on these.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 22:53   #17
Scoobymolly

To bypass the n75 solenoid, get yourself a 3 way adaptor and put it in the pipe work instead of it.If it boosts fine, then there is your problem.Check the vnt actuator on the turbo isn't seized by using a mitivac connected to the actuator pipe to suck the actuator.Or suck it with your mouth.If it moves then the actuator is ok.
Check the cam timing by removing the bolt from the lower front right corner of the engine block ,next to the coolant pipe and putting a timing pin in and turn the crank pulley by hand until it locks.The camshaft timing is one tooth to the right of the rear timing cover Mark.
Also smoke test the inlet system to check for leaks.Definately sounds like an n75 valve fault.
Scoobymolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.9d, erratic idle, lack of power, loud, smoke