Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1999 2.0 turbo missfire

Views : 595

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2007, 21:00   #1
junkbuster

Default 1999 2.0 turbo missfire

had a few problems with the car turbo did kick in at 3 -4000 rpm but dont feel it now and have a judder in low gears at low revs pulling off plugs only done 2 k coils seem ok or was told could this be a fuel filter and were is it on the car any help please when the turbo pipe to air box is dissconected at 3k you feel plenty of pressure so the vanes are ok not sure about waistegate being open help
junkbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 19:42   #2
junkbuster

help help
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 20:04   #3
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Your description is a bit vague!

The judder at lower revs suggests to me that you have a misfire. That is spark or fuel.

Get a spark tester and try it on each plug in turn. That will tell you if you have sparks at all plugs. Take off the spark plug leads one at a time. If one makes no difference it might well be that plug. Change it. If you have no spares, change it for the one next door and if the fault follows the plug it's the plug, if not probably the plug cap or HT lead (or not a spark fault at all)

If you haven't changed rotor arm and HT cap, do it.

If the HT leads are naff you will probably lose a cylinder completely so if you have a spark at every plug, ignore them for the moment.

Take the leads to the injectors off one at a time. If one of them makes no difference, it might be the injector or it might be the electrical signal. If all of them make a difference go on to something else. If one was suspect, change the suspect injector with the one next to it. If the fault moves cylinders, it's the injector so change it. If the fault stays where it was its either the wire to the injector or the ECU so pray. Check the wire carefully (and its connections at both ends). Wire is more common than ECU.

I shall ignore the ECU.

Nothing else is likely to be causing juddering.

If it is just poor running rather than an actual misfire: -

Have you got any "chuffing" noises (in some cases more like a puffy ticking noise) that might be an air or vacuum leak?

Is the air filter OK?

Check the Haynes manual to locate the fuel filter. Change it or clean it if you can. It will affect fuel delivery pressure if really blocked.

Check the air mass meter and clean it.

Get a garage to test the CAT - huge back pressure could cause problems.

Is your lambda light on?

Did you get the codes read? What did they say?

Are the lambda probe(s, if your model has more than one) OK and properly connected?
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 23:55   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

Check fuel pressure upto injection rail, should be at least 30psi (i think)

Fuel pump failing are a common problem on earlier turbo's and give symptoms you describe
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 15:06   #5
shauny

I had the same fault with mine it was the coils even though they seem ok they brake down under low rpm load. If you have a URO car parts near you i would recimend them. if you do decide to change them as they are half the price of volvo and they will supply you with genuine volvo ones.
shauny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 20:56   #6
junkbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauny View Post
I had the same fault with mine it was the coils even though they seem ok they brake down under low rpm load. If you have a URO car parts near you i would recimend them. if you do decide to change them as they are half the price of volvo and they will supply you with genuine volvo ones.
thanks mate just changed air filter and fuel filter seems to be a little better now found a vac pipe loose too