Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is the average MPG being obtained for a XC60 5D AWD.

Views : 12074

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2012, 14:04   #1
Bhemmings

Question What is the average MPG being obtained for a XC60 5D AWD.

I purchased my XC605D AWD (215bhp) a few months ago and have now done 2850 mile but am still only achieving an average of 27/28mpg. My journeys are a reasonable mix of short med. and long. For the first few weeks l was only averaging 24/26mpg. I have taken the car back to the dealership to have it checked but they have said that everything is in order. I have tried doing motorway driving at an average of 50 mph but still can only manage 35/36mpg. My previous vehicle a 06 MERC 320 Estate doing the same type of journies/driving style returned 35/37 mpg consistenly and 40mpg on long runs.
I was wondering what is the experience of other XC60 5D owners regarding their average mpg. This aspect is the only area of disapointment l have with my car especially with the ever increasing cost of deisel. Members views / comments would be greatly received.

Bhemmings.
Bhemmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 14:30   #2
Mountain Goat

Hi Bhemmings
I've had my D5 AWD Geartronic since October, and I record fuel usage between fill ups pretty accurately and am currently getting 28.5mpg. I do a daily roundtrip commute of 45 miles on A & B roads. I don't do many long motorway runs, but when I have the consumption certainly improves, but I haven't done that sort of journey consistently enough to record the consumption.
I've seen others on this forum stating they get substantially better consumption than this, and also that it improves after a few thousand miles. Currently done 7k but not seeing any improvement so far.
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 16:22   #3
Brodick
Master Member

D5 awd auto and I am getting around 32/33 on short town journeys and not a kick in the pants off 40 when travelling slightly further afield.

Your car is way too low on mileage to be thinking about getting the best MPG out of it. Once my last XC60 past toe 10k mark MPG improved even further.

I do note that when I push on the MPG will decrease slightly but in general I am more than happy given the car it is
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 16:24   #4
Brodick
Master Member

[QUOTE=Brodick;1099122]D5 awd auto and I am getting around 33/34 on short town journeys and not a kick in the pants off 40 when travelling slightly further afield.

Your car is way too low on mileage to be thinking about getting the best MPG out of it. Once my last XC60 past toe 10k mark MPG improved even further.

I do note that when I push on the MPG will decrease slightly but in general I am more than happy given the car it is[/QUOT
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 16:32   #5
exasperated

I'm getting pretty much the same as you Bhemmings! 2000 on the clock. Not very impressed really as my old XC90 did much better than this and the MPG was one of the reasons I changed my car to this! I know loads of you will think that I shouldn't believe the blurb in the sales brochure - and I didn't, but to be this off is not what I hoped for. I knew it would be down on that but it is the biggest niggle I have with the car. Have a look at the thread I started on MPG compared with XC90...some interesting comments....
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 17:35   #6
Brodick
Master Member

Again no engine is going to give you it's best MPG when it is so new.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 18:07   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I have 28k on the clock now after 30 months and I average 33 +/- 10% depending on the road conditions (and speed!). Pootling along at 60 on a dual carriage way would give me approaching 40, I prefer to sit around 75-80 and I get around 37 ish for that style of journey - heavy, town traffic takes its down to the high 20s

There were people posting a while back suggesting incredible MPGs where they were averaging 40+, I think there was even one in the high 40s, something I have never got near, even going downhill with a tailwind

Last edited by wimorrison; Feb 21st, 2012 at 18:10.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 19:05   #8
robg

is your manual or auto bhemmings?

I got bored on a long journey a year or so ago and posted this which may give you a guide:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=115981

My D5 (205) manual got much better on the fuel after about 7-8k miles.

On average:
Around town i get low-mid 30s.
On a careful long journey it usually manage to just get into the 40s
On a long journey doing more than about 75 i get mid/high 30s.

I think its more to do with aerodynamics of the big car.

I am seriously thinking of selling the xc and getting an audi A6, more because i like the big car but spend most of my time on motorways wanting to do more than 70. Hoping a big estate will be abit better. (not that 5mpg over 10k miles a year really makes much actual cost difference)
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 19:37   #9
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodick View Post
Again no engine is going to give you it's best MPG when it is so new.
Surely, when the mpg figures are ascertained, they do the tests on new cars, not those that have done many thousands of miles!! In which case, it is unreasonable to dismiss the poor figures just because the engine is new...
XCeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 20:03   #10
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
Surely, when the mpg figures are ascertained, they do the tests on new cars, not those that have done many thousands of miles!! In which case, it is unreasonable to dismiss the poor figures just because the engine is new...
As we have ascertained before the tests bear little resemblance to the real world - I am not sure that the engines are even in cars when they are tested

Last edited by wimorrison; Feb 21st, 2012 at 20:47. Reason: avoiding spelling police
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post: