Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

945 charge / earth / warning light prob

Views : 1792

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2020, 19:58   #41
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Yeah, several of the japanese manufacturers used ss slip rings, even on their light duty stuff.

If I had my way they would all be brushless like a decent 24V unit generally is. $$$ I suppose.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 20:07   #42
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Yeah, several of the japanese manufacturers used ss slip rings, even on their light duty stuff.

If I had my way they would all be brushless like a decent 24V unit generally is. $$$ I suppose.
Trouble is you get into the realms of AVRs then Ash and they tend to be unreliable and most people understand them even less than the voltage regs normally on the back of an alternator.

You also have the possibility of permanent magnets which aren't always permanent.............

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 13:19   #43
bluebrickrick

Sorry guys, picked up a dose of lurgi and not been up to much.

Still running fine but with no illumination so have added a booklight to the dash pending resolution.

What is it with those switch panel bulbs (long lead T5 in a plastic bullet) got some non mortgage cost bulbs coming from Poland - is there a substitute ??

Replacing ignition switch has not cured the intermittent starter solenoid issue, rather than wrangling the loom which at this age is likely to disturb something else I've decided to run a separate wire down there, may include a relay as Ash suggested but it is another potential voltage drop. Ordered a replacement solenoid, having seen what age does to the moulding which holds the contact studs on the one from the donor, whilst I can't see it causing the problem it may well contribute.

Otherwise am overhauling a couple of headlamp wiper motors, will need the metal brackets replacing as those installed and off the donor are rusted away at the back

Looking forward to firing on all cylinders again (me not the car)
bluebrickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluebrickrick For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 14:06   #44
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Welcome to my world Rick! Aside from about 4 days this year, i've had the snot goblin as well. First one i caught at Papworth on New Years Eve when i went for my heart scan which, considering the irony of the snot goblin i caught that hit my chest, also revealed a lung problem.

Got rid of that just over a day before the funeral of a very close friend and the day after, i caught another snot goblin, more irony this time, when i dropped my repeat prescription slip into the local surgery!
That hit me on the 18th Jan and is still with me.

Anyway, back to the important stuff! I have no idea why Volvo opted for those long holders with wire ended bulbs welded to the contacts. You can buy grain of wheat bulbs on fleabya and cut the wire off the contacts on the long bulbholders, use a Dremel or similar with a 1.0-1.5mm drill bit and enlarge the original holes so you can feed the wires on the end of the grain of wheat bulbs through then carefully solder them to the contacts. Alternatively do simlar with 12V LEDs but remember they are olarity conscious so you may have to remove the holder and turn it 180 degees to get the light working in that area.

As for the solenoid, i think you need to get back to basics when you fit the new one and ensure the yoke moves easily so it pulls the pinion in easily. Clean and regrease (only a tiny smear) the splines on the armature shaft and also the yoke fulcrum with a tiny bit of high melting point waterproof grease.
Also check your various connections to the starter including the earth and if you feel adventurous, remove the end cap over the commutator end bearing, the E-clip then remove the end cap and inspect the brushes and the comm. Give them a gentle clean and make sure the brushes aren't sticking.

Meanwhile i hope your snot goblin disappears soon and you feel human again!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 15:07   #45
bluebrickrick

Fraternal greetings to the Top Gin snot goblin from the one at Bogside

Since I've discovered the jump lead start option with the starter, I'm not convinced it is a solenoid issue as the tiniest contact with the stud pulls it in so I expect a poor contact on that circuit somewhere.

Evidently as the donor starter was removed when back axle and gearbox were harvested by the owner the moulded bit of the solenoid was broken, worthwhile putting a fresh one with it to have a spare available so if my auxiliary lead doesn't resolve it I have a Plan C

Thought I had it cracked with some 12 v xmas tree bulbs but even the the wire is a shade short, diameter a shade large and wattage about half ! Couldn't see a way of getting a resistor in with an LED and there is both the polarity and dimming issue, still at least the operability of the whole vehicle doesn't depend on one, a it does on the ignition T5 ! I've some spares of those and the illuminating bulbs on their way!

BTW donor alternator slip rings evenly worn and while a grubby more corroded casting than the original I shall fit the new regulator /brush pack to it as a spare then sort the failed one out when I get round to the winch for the Fordson.

Hope you feel better soon Dave

Rick
bluebrickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluebrickrick For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 15:37   #46
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrickrick View Post
Fraternal greetings to the Top Gin snot goblin from the one at Bogside

Since I've discovered the jump lead start option with the starter, I'm not convinced it is a solenoid issue as the tiniest contact with the stud pulls it in so I expect a poor contact on that circuit somewhere.
My gin snot goblin says thanks and the same to you!

My first point of looking at in that case would be the terminal on the end of the lead that feeds the solenoid coil. Often the wires fray inside where they can't be seen because of the plastic cover/sheath on the terminal, also the curly bits of the female spade connector tend to open up with time and vibration so a gentle squeeze in the right places with a pair of pliers often restores the connection.

Old Feb 7th, 2020, 05:34   #47
aardvarkash10
Master Member

[threadjack]

Moomin charging again - rectifier as well! Ginza lightshow on the dash no longer a thing. Prepared now for a weekend towing the trailer to collect building supplies.

[/threadjack]

btw, weather here a balmy 27 - 30 degrees C fine, clear, almost a drought. Very pleasant.

As you were.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 10:53   #48
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Great news Ash! Make me jealous with the weather report though, why don't you!

It's currently about 5C here although the skies are blue and wall to wall sun.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: