Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida device choice...

Views : 753

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2020, 19:03   #1
Javaman365
Arthur Daley's Understudy

Default Vida device choice...

I don't wish to hijack people's threads on specific Vida queries or sales,. So have opted to create this thread..
I am going to have to get Vida/DICE and I know the result available options are a preconfigured laptop or preconfigured tablet from respected users on here.

As there is nothing in it financially, I am trying to ascertain the pro/cons against each form factor. Obviously, the laptop is bulkier thank the tablet, but then it is a more powerful device, so has greater longevity/usages.
It's that basically it as far as we know?
All I'm after is something to plug in, read the DPF and initiate regens if needed. Without it being stupidly slow.

I would welcome anyone's insight, especially if you've used both at some point.
Javaman365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 20:38   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

A video showing the speed of the laptops I sell is here https://youtu.be/iCnv4twqoBM
Larger screen, decent sized SSD, 4GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro

Hopefully that will help with your comparison.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 09:13   #3
jtaw45

I'm also looking for a VIDA dice, possibly with laptop/Tablet and possibly just the dice. Can anyone recommend someone or help me out please? Feel free to PM. Cheers.
jtaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 12:30   #4
CondorXC90

Contact cheshired - the setups from him work as intended.

XC90 2008 Sport SE Geartronic, sunroof, privacy, heated seats, phone/RTI, Nav, HP Sound,
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CondorXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 14:51   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaw45 View Post
I'm also looking for a VIDA dice, possibly with laptop/Tablet and possibly just the dice. Can anyone recommend someone or help me out please? Feel free to PM. Cheers.
I have the last for the time being Dice and Laptop complete setup ready to send out for £250 delivered.
I have no separate, individual Dice available currently.

To allow this thread to stay on track, Pm has been sent with contact details so you can respond separately.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 11:44   #6
adrian198

Can I buy the VIDA disc off eBay for around 2 pounds and install it on a laptop I have at home? I don't understand how I get VIDA...

Thanks in advance
adrian198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 12:41   #7
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian198 View Post
Can I buy the VIDA disc off eBay for around 2 pounds and install it on a laptop I have at home?
You could. However beyond gaining you access to the "workshop manual" (which is still useful), there's not much else that you can do with it.

The DICE unit is the *hardware* which makes the connection between the VIDA *software* and the car's on-board systems. Without that, you cannot read diagnostic codes, make configuration changes etc.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 13:27   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian198 View Post
Can I buy the VIDA disc off eBay for around 2 pounds and install it on a laptop I have at home?
The short answer is that it depends on your laptop spec which only you know and the format of Vida being sold on eBay which you should check with the individual seller.
Some sell Vida in a format which is designed to install easily and run natively on certain specs of pc and laptops and some sell virtual machines which likewise only run well or even at all on some systems.

If you don't understand what's required and your priority is getting Vida as cheaply as possible, you'll need to do some homework, all of which is freely available with some Googling.

I don't sell Vida. It's free in both native and virtual machine formats to anyone who buys a Dice from me.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 18:47   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I bought from cheshired5 and it was a total doddle, device came all set up with a YouTube link and I was reading codes in 10 minutes. For me I would not bother with the hassle and just go to him direct*
*never met him just had a great service.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: