Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does the new V60 have a spare wheel?

Views : 1090

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2018, 22:14   #1
anton differing

Default Does the new V60 have a spare wheel?

I rather fancy this car, but I'm a bit old-fashioned, in that I like to have a spare wheel. It seems to me that the new V60 not only doesn't have one, but also no place for one. Does this mean that it has run-flat tyres, a can of goop or do Volvos simply never get punctures?

P.S. Just answered my own question - sort of. The Volvo Switzerland site doesn't mention a spare wheel - but I had a peek at the Volvo UK site, and it does! So I presume that the Swiss site has somehow not included it - or perhaps it's model-dependent, the way that some engines are only available with certain models. Can't think why though.

P.P.S. Spare wheel appears on the Swiss site - IF you don't select the Twin Engine variant. Could this be where the batteries go?

Last edited by anton differing; Sep 17th, 2018 at 22:25.
anton differing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 13:52   #2
Spike56
Master Member

If not...….. https://www.volvopartshop.com/space-...17-10679-p.asp

And this...… https://www.volvopartshop.com/storag...cc-16113-p.asp
Spike56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 14:47   #3
Fursty Ferret

I’ve just looked in my new V60 and no spare wheel. You might be able to wedge a space saver in the storage bin under the boot floor though.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 16:57   #4
anton differing

Gents, thank you for the answers! I am so neurotic that, in addition to the space-saver spare, I carry a full-size spare on long trips in my V40. I have this nightmare of getting a puncture in the middle of France en route to the ferry to Ireland, and I don't want to be restricted to 80kmh. A space-saver would be perfect for problems within Swizzieland.
The Following User Says Thank You to anton differing For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 17:10   #5
anton differing

P.S. I think I may have done something daft - I looked today at the twin engine V60 and the spare wheel was there! So clearly the space is not occupied by batteries.

On the other hand, sometimes the Swiss website does strange things - I sometimes find that the photos of the options are qualified by a description that belongs to an entirely different option. It's as if a photo (or two?) has disappeared, and all the captions have jumped one or two places to totally unrelated photos. I wonder whether this is a universal problem.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 17:30   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton differing View Post
Gents, thank you for the answers! I am so neurotic that, in addition to the space-saver spare, I carry a full-size spare on long trips in my V40. I have this nightmare of getting a puncture in the middle of France en route to the ferry to Ireland, and I don't want to be restricted to 80kmh. A space-saver would be perfect for problems within Swizzieland.
I have been driving now for near 20 years and have probably stuck 400,000 miles on cars including off roading. In all that time I have had 1 puncture which a can of goo would have fixed.

Don't worry about it! I always use top quality Tyres however Gioodyear, Michelin etc.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 21:36   #7
anton differing

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I have been driving now for near 20 years and have probably stuck 400,000 miles on cars including off roading. In all that time I have had 1 puncture which a can of goo would have fixed.

Don't worry about it! I always use top quality Tyres however Gioodyear, Michelin etc.
Thanks for the comment. In over 50 years' driving on three continents, including the Australian Outback, I've had a few punctures - as you say, with good tyres, they're a rarity, but they do occur. And my last one, a torn sidewall, no amount of goo would have fixed. Thankfully, I had a spare.

I realise I'm perhaps overcautious, but I'm a great believer in Vegitius's Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war).
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 00:40   #8
Spike56
Master Member

You may not need what you do have but you can't use what you don't have!

Like the lottery, you may not win but if you do.......
Spike56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 09:41   #9
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
I’ve just looked in my new V60 and no spare wheel. You might be able to wedge a space saver in the storage bin under the boot floor though.
Mmm, there’s the story of the Porsche having a puncture, putting the spacesaver on, but the road wheel being too large to fit where the SS was. With a passenger and luggage, there was no option but to call the RAC to transport the road wheel....

I may have posted this before, but my last car was a Lexus hybrid, with the batteries under the boot floor, so no spare. But they did thoughtfully provide a neatly folded heavy duty plastic bag, labelled "place your punctured road wheel in this bag so as not to dirty the boot".

Presumably then drive on 3 wheels, Citroen DS style?
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 10:17   #10
Foxwhelp

Default V60 Twin Engine Variant - spare wheel

Hi, just to confirm, the V60 twin engine variant does have a spare wheel? I am going to buy one and thought it worth double checking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton differing View Post
P.S. I think I may have done something daft - I looked today at the twin engine V60 and the spare wheel was there! So clearly the space is not occupied by batteries.

On the other hand, sometimes the Swiss website does strange things - I sometimes find that the photos of the options are qualified by a description that belongs to an entirely different option. It's as if a photo (or two?) has disappeared, and all the captions have jumped one or two places to totally unrelated photos. I wonder whether this is a universal problem.
Foxwhelp is offline   Reply With Quote