Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Active bendy light adjustment

Views : 1663

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 14:10   #1
maigrait

Default Active bendy light adjustment

Hi Folks,
Just wondering if there is a way to adjust the active bending lights as regards up and down. I know the lights are extremely bright but I think they are set too high and I think I'm blinding on-coming cars!

Surely its not a dealer job to adjust? I've had a look in the manual but it only explains how to turn it to continental LHS/RHS...

Got 205hp AWD SE Lux job whatever model year that is.

Cheers.
maigrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 14:48   #2
Matteus XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigrait View Post
Hi Folks,
Just wondering if there is a way to adjust the active bending lights as regards up and down. I know the lights are extremely bright but I think they are set too high and I think I'm blinding on-coming cars!

Surely its not a dealer job to adjust? I've had a look in the manual but it only explains how to turn it to continental LHS/RHS...

Got 205hp AWD SE Lux job whatever model year that is.

Cheers.
There is a previous thread or two on this. I think the upshot was (unfortunately) that it is indeed a dealer job. As the Xenon lights are self levelling, it is (by definition) not a simple job to adjust them manually. That said, someone else on the forum might prove me wrong (wouldn't be the first time to be honest...)
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 14:54   #3
maigrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 View Post
There is a previous thread or two on this. I think the upshot was (unfortunately) that it is indeed a dealer job. As the Xenon lights are self levelling, it is (by definition) not a simple job to adjust them manually. That said, someone else on the forum might prove me wrong (wouldn't be the first time to be honest...)
I was afraid this was the answer... Dealer is a good 60 miles away and its a long way to go just for this activity. I might just have to keep on blinding people - feck it...
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 15:54   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigrait View Post
I was afraid this was the answer... Dealer is a good 60 miles away and its a long way to go just for this activity. I might just have to keep on blinding people - feck it...
It is a dealer job, and not an easy one The need to adjust the lights to the correct angle on dipped beam and that the break of the light is within the red band with the car correctly loaded and sat on a level surface. The system is then 'zeroed' to this setting and it will maintain this position correctly thereafter.

This is the one battle I had after delivery of my car as they were set to the bottom of the blue band (this if for vehicles with headlights above 850mm) and the were hotting the road about 50' in front of the car and the dealer did not know what the different colour lines were for!

Good luck, you may need to know the rules to get them set correctly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (24.8 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by wimorrison; Feb 21st, 2011 at 16:43.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 16:18   #5
maigrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
It is a dealer job, and not an easy one The need to adjust the lights to the correct angle on dipped beam and that the break of the light is within the[COLOR="Red"] red [/COLOR band with the car correctly loaded and sat on a level surface. The system is then 'zeroed' to this setting and it will maintain this position correctly thereafter.

This is the one battle I had after delivery of my car as they were set to the bottom of the blue band (this if for vehicles with headlights above 850mm) and the were hotting the road about 50' in front of the car and the dealer did not know what the different colour lines were for!

Good luck, you may need to know the rules to get them set correctly
Ah nuts...

Thanks for the info. Might have to figure out another reason to visit the stealer... Maybe the polestar upgrade is required as an incentive.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 16:22   #6
GMad
Premier Member

That sucks!!!!!
The 59 Citroen DS I used to own (a good few years back), had bendy headlamps, that could be adjusted with a spanner!!
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 16:43   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
That sucks!!!!!
The 59 Citroen DS I used to own (a good few years back), had bendy headlamps, that could be adjusted with a spanner!!
I bet that they weren't xenons though
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 21:41   #8
darbs
XC60 Owner

i've had this problem a while. i posted it on here a little while back, but didn't have much luck with an answer. since then i found the guys on the xc90 forum had found a solution for the opposite problem - their lights were too low. i'd been meaning to post their solution on here, but forgot. this thread reminded me. thanks. i tried out their solution this evening, and i'm glad to say it works. not only that, it's pretty easy.

like Iain suggests though, it should probably only be a short term solution, until you can get the setting properly checked by volvo.

in any case, this is what you do. turn the lights on. open the bonnet and locate the white knob as shown in the picture below. there's one above each headlight. turn it clockwise to lower, anti-clockwise to raise. i couldn't turn it with my fingers, so just used a small socket spanner. it turned without problem and the lights moved up and down as expected.

i took the car out for a test drive after. i initially found i lowered them far too much, so raised them a bit, and found the reach about right. at least i wasn't lighting up signposts a mile away any more! best do it at night for obvious reasons if you try it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg light_adjust.JPG (122.0 KB, 150 views)
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 22:13   #9
maigrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
i've had this problem a while. i posted it on here a little while back, but didn't have much luck with an answer. since then i found the guys on the xc90 forum had found a solution for the opposite problem - their lights were too low. i'd been meaning to post their solution on here, but forgot. this thread reminded me. thanks. i tried out their solution this evening, and i'm glad to say it works. not only that, it's pretty easy.

like Iain suggests though, it should probably only be a short term solution, until you can get the setting properly checked by volvo.

in any case, this is what you do. turn the lights on. open the bonnet and locate the white knob as shown in the picture below. there's one above each headlight. turn it clockwise to lower, anti-clockwise to raise. i couldn't turn it with my fingers, so just used a small socket spanner. it turned without problem and the lights moved up and down as expected.

i took the car out for a test drive after. i initially found i lowered them far too much, so raised them a bit, and found the reach about right. at least i wasn't lighting up signposts a mile away any more! best do it at night for obvious reasons if you try it.

legend...

going to give that a go tomorrow. Will post if I get the same results...

cheers.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 17:30   #10
maigrait

can happily confirm it works a treat. 6mm socket and tweak the lights up and down. I've put them down ever so slightly so we'll see later on if that does the trick. Going to keep socket in the car for a while just in case I need to fine tune them.

Thanks all.