Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tracker

Views : 1419

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:29   #1
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Smile Tracker

Thinking about getting tracker fitted, VHF systems seem a safer bet than GSM due to the prolifration of cheap jammers.

Has anyone experience of such an install?

Without giving too much away can you tell me if the approved delaers do a nice tidy job without damaging trim etc?
I assume they are suitably professional given some of the cars they fit tracker to!

Has anyone asked Volvo if warranty is invalidated, do Tracker have an agreement with Volvo?

Thanks,

Ian.
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:42   #2
adambsmith

I've never fancied a tracker - even when I had what was then a very nickable Civic Type R.

My view is; if the car has been stolen then I don't want it back. A bit like one's home being soiled if you've had burglars.

When I've looked into insurance 'savings' I don't seem to get any decent discounts if I tick the 'tracker fitted' box.

Sorry that doesn't answer your question but it's only slightly off topic.
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adambsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:05   #3
Strick

I dont totally agree or disagree with Adams view.
He is right in what he says with regard to not wanting the vehicle back, but on the other hand imagine if the scum we to be located whilst in the vehicle, MAYBE (although unlikely) justice could be served.
I agree with what he says regarding insurance discounts too, they just dont happen. The only thing is that some companies wont insure WITHOUT a Tracking device on certain vehicles.
I used to have RAC Trackstar on one of my old vehicles, purely because it was already fitted and I (cant remeber why) decided to carry it on.
Dont think i would bother again. Its an additional £15 or so every month that could be better spent onother things IMHO.
Strick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strick For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:19   #4
Mrjon
Master Member

I checked with volvo insurance if having the volvo on call security package installed gave any discount on premiums.......no.
Mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrjon For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:54   #5
adambsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
... but on the other hand imagine if the scum we to be located whilst in the vehicle, MAYBE (although unlikely) justice could be served.
It's a nice thought but having watched loads of Traffic/Motorway Cops/Road Wars/Police Camera Action etc etc, justice is very rarely done unfortunately.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 15:01   #6
Strick

Sad but true!
Strick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 15:19   #7
Superbenj

Can the 'On call' tracker aid insurance premiums? I have not seen 'manufacturer fitted' as an option on the tracker section of insurance web sites
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 15:28   #8
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbenj View Post
Can the 'On call' tracker aid insurance premiums? I have not seen 'manufacturer fitted' as an option on the tracker section of insurance web sites
financially, it's more likely to help you not to have to claim if your car is recovered. thus saving you excess and increased future premiums where you have to declare a loss for the next 5 yrs.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 15:53   #9
adambsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
financially, it's more likely to help you not to have to claim if your car is recovered. thus saving you excess and increased future premiums where you have to declare a loss for the next 5 yrs.
Depends on each insurer - some ask for losses in the past 5 years whilst others ask for losses in last three years.

Then again, even if you do recover the car via a Tracker, you may still need insurer's help to put the car right particularly if it's been crashed/damaged etc.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 16:54   #10
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambsmith View Post
Depends on each insurer - some ask for losses in the past 5 years whilst others ask for losses in last three years.

Then again, even if you do recover the car via a Tracker, you may still need insurer's help to put the car right particularly if it's been crashed/damaged etc.
i could have done with an insurer that only asks you to declare the past 3 yrs claims quite recently. i renewed my insurance about a week ago having selected a new insurer end of last month: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...5&postcount=33. i had a replacement windscreen about 4 yrs ago, and on the cheapest quote i could find, it made a difference declaring it or not - not a great deal mind you.

in forum terms, i think this counts as a highjacked thread. no-one's been able to help the OP with his original query, just discuss the merits of his choice! i guess that may be helpful, or not. depends if he's already made his mind up.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote