Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition Switch Question

Views : 539

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2020, 02:25   #1
DaWhole9

Default Ignition Switch Question

So my new to me Amazon Wagon (1964) has the key stuck in the ignition in th eon position. I bought a new switch thinking that would remedy the problem. I removed the ignition and key pretty easily, and looked at the old one and it turns and the key comes out when in the off position. So its nit the key portion that pops out. Seems like the internal portion that the key turns is stuck. Any way to free this up? Is that common on these cars? My thoughts are to get some penetrating lube and then inter a screwdriver and try to work the switch back and forth and hopefully it loosens up and then pop in the new key portion. Any ideas on this? Hope I am clear...
DaWhole9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 03:53   #2
blueosprey90
Master Member

Oh boy.

http://www.sw-em.com/ignition_switch...ch_article.htm

http://www.sw-em.com/Ignition_Additi...lvo_IGN_SWitch
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 07:16   #3
DaWhole9

Ok just to make it clear....

I bought a new lock cylinder with new keys. Got the old lock cylinder out easily. Once removed the old lock cylinder went from position to position and the key came out in the 2nd neutral position as it should. What it looks like is the electrical switch is stuck in the on position. Any way to lube that up and make that move more freely? I’m going to try and use a screwdriver to turn it back and forth and hope it’s stuck from lack of use. It seems this car has been sitting for a while and when it was used they connected and disconnected the battery and didn’t worry about the key. Hope that is clearer.
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 12:37   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

DW9;

If the (old) Lock Cylinder is out, Ignition Switch should be able to be turned to the various (detented) positions with a flatblade screwdriver in the slot which tailpiece of LC normally turns.

If Ign Sw is somehow jammed and it cannot be turned in this manner, a mechanical defect within the switch is somehow preventing this...you can try lubing, but I expect only if you are very lucky, will it free up.

The next step is replacement, or removal and disassembly and internal inspection if you are so inclined (you might locate cause of jam to satisfy your curiosity, but a reliable repair of this vintage component [if possible at all] should be attempted by experienced fine-mechanic/electrician only...you wouldn't want a poorly executed repair to disable the Ign Sys at a random moment in the future). For a look inside Ign Sw, see video linked under key breakage tech article: http://www.sw-em.com/ignition_switch...ch_article.htm

Good Hunting!

bo90; TNX for reference!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 12:44   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Ron does go into everything in minute detail but lets keep it simple for the moment.
Basically, with the lock cylinder removed you should be able to use a screwdriver to switch the actual ignition switch through it's positions and turn full right against the spring to supply power the starter solenoid. Engine should then start normally. Please confirm that.
The ignition switch on my Estate has some "problems" but I have a starter button. The key will only turn to switch on the ignition and not further to the engine start position. I don't need to as I have the starter button. The starter button will work the starter even without the key in or with the ignition on. Yes I have had a fuzzy early morning moment and had the engine not start due to the ignition not being on. Takes quite a while to get petrol to the engine after it's been sitting for a couple of weeks or more so, so I don't get too worried until gets to about 20 seconds of churning!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 14:39   #6
blueosprey90
Master Member

I have the push button start switch but find that I often forget and turn the key too far to the right and it get stuck

If I wanted to get rid of the whole armored cable ignition switch, is there a known replacement ignition switch that will fit and can be used in a 6 volt system.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 19:51   #7
DaWhole9

Thanks guys! Will look into how hard the switch is to turn and see if I can CAREFULLY free it up a bit. If not I will need to get a new switch and coil...