Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake Upgrades

Views : 730

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2022, 09:10   #1
DirtySanchez

Talking Brake Upgrades

Good morning, I've just taken on a Volvo V60 D3 2011... Its my first trip into Volvo ownership and so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

I need to replace the front discs and pads but before I do I wondered if there we're any cross platform upgrades that can be done for better braking performance... for example does a bigger caliper/disc setup bolt on from another model? There is a small amount of aesthetics about this as well but I'm young and still enjoy a little bit of "modifying"

Cheers!
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 11:27   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySanchez View Post
Good morning, I've just taken on a Volvo V60 D3 2011... Its my first trip into Volvo ownership and so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

I need to replace the front discs and pads but before I do I wondered if there we're any cross platform upgrades that can be done for better braking performance... for example does a bigger caliper/disc setup bolt on from another model? There is a small amount of aesthetics about this as well but I'm young and still enjoy a little bit of "modifying"

Cheers!
What deficiency have you found , Overheating?
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 12:31   #3
DirtySanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
What deficiency have you found , Overheating?
No deficiency as such but I'm used to a little more stopping power, previous cars (Audi A4 & BMW 3 series) had a 6 piston front calipers so just used to something with a little more bite.

I'm not looking at a multi piston caliper but if there is an option to upgrade to something a little meatier from another Volvo model while I'm replacing discs and pads I thought it would warrant a little research. I've done the usual googling/searching but not returning any results for what I'm looking for.
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 15:23   #4
TeamG
Master Member

So replacing existing brakes that can already trigger the ABS and exceed the available grip in the tyres with brakes that are heavier and more expensive (more unsprung weight)?

The only two scenarios that I could possibly understand this are regular towing in the alps (where heat/fade may justify bigger brakes working less hard) or on the track (which is no place for a Volvo).

Perhaps spend the cash on better tyres, which would actually improve the capability of your overall braking system?
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 15:39   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Contrary to popular belief, more pistons doesn't mean more stopping power. The force you exert on the pedal gets amplified by the servo and distributed to the pads through the fluid - that force is constant, the number of pistons is irrelevant as is their size. If the total surface area of the pistons is low, then the pressure exerted by that piston is higher.... the greater the surface area, the pressure is lower but overall effort remains the same. Pascals law of Pressure = Force / Area applies...

Multi piston calipers are usually used when the pads are quite large and having only one piston may mean there is a risk of bending the metal back plate. Having pistons on both sides is a better design and makes for more "feel" but doesn't improve stopping power per se.

The best route is rebuild the brakes with genuine Volvo discs and pads - these give the best feel and stopping power in a standard set up - make sure the pads are free to move in the caliper and the pins are free. You could go for a stickier compound pad but that wouldn't last as long and likely to produce more brake dust. But if you are doing the work yourself that's not going to be an issue....

All of the above of course assumes you stick with the same size brake disc - if you can fit larger discs (i.e. greater surface area and heat capacity) then that will yield improvements.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 17th, 2022 at 16:09.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 15:43   #6
sda2489

Read this:-

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304762

Easy and cheap.

I have done it on my T6 as well with slighter newer/lighter 336mm stuff.
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sda2489 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 15:52   #7
DirtySanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
So replacing existing brakes that can already trigger the ABS and exceed the available grip in the tyres with brakes that are heavier and more expensive (more unsprung weight)?

The only two scenarios that I could possibly understand this are regular towing in the alps (where heat/fade may justify bigger brakes working less hard) or on the track (which is no place for a Volvo).

Perhaps spend the cash on better tyres, which would actually improve the capability of your overall braking system?
Agreed.. my Volvo has no place being near a race track, that said it might get used for sighting laps at the next track day I'm at.

Tyres are Pirelli P Zero, plenty of tread and grip from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Contrary to popular belief, more pistons doesn't mean more stopping power. The force you exert on the pedal gets amplified by the servo and distributed to the pads through the fluid - that force is constant, the number of pistons is irrelevant as is their size. If the total surface area of the pistons is low, then the pressure exerted by that piston is higher.... the greater the surface area, the pressure is lower but overall effort remains the same. Pascals law of Pressure = Force / Area applies...

Multi piston calipers are usually used when the pads are quite large and having only one piston may mean there is a risk of bending the metal back plate. Having pistons on both sides is a better design and makes for more "feel" but doesn't improve stopping power per se.

The best route is rebuild the brakes with genuine Volvo discs and pads - these give the best feel and stopping power in a standard set up - make sure the pads are free to move in the caliper and the pins are free. You could go for a stickier compound pad but that wouldn't last as long and likely to produce more brake dust. But if you are doing the work yourself that's not going to be an issue....
Aware of the science, I've built a number of track cars over the years and spent a lot of time maximising braking performance on my old track car.

Thanks for the feedback guys, this was just to satisfy my own want for something a little bigger behind the wheels but after a bit of research today it doesnt appear anything is out there. I'll get a decent set of discs and pads order, replace the fluid, check the calipers and overhaul if needed maybe even replace the flexi pipes if they look a bit past it. Pretty sure that will be a good starting point.
The Following User Says Thank You to DirtySanchez For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 16:13   #8
TeamG
Master Member

The best ‘upgrade’ I’ve actually made to brakes is to properly clean the calipers during a pad change with the three tubes of Proslip caliper grease. The pins in particular - properly clean and lightly greased can make a noticeable difference in pedal feel as the brakes engage and disengage more smoothly.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 23:46   #9
D6PHEV

Anybody come across a set of cross-drilled and grooved discs for the 336mm system?
Combine them with some Polestar blue paint for the calipers.

Wouldn't mind a bit of bling behind the wheels. Go well with the stage II tune under the bonnet.
D6PHEV is offline   Reply With Quote