Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headgasket Gone, What to replace

Views : 1084

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 12:27   #1
James_N
VOC Member

Default Headgasket Gone, What to replace

Hi

Seems the headgasket may have gone on the estate. Cooling system is forcing water out the end of the rad hoses. When you take the expansion tank cap off, the water stops coming out the hoses, presumably because the pressure is now escaping out the expansion tank. Ive had a word with my mechanic friend and he thinks it sounds like headgasket. Im currently having to fill up the expansion tank every day, mainly because of the water being forced out the end of the top rad hose and down the side of the radiator!

Now my mechanic is a very good friend, who said if he was doing the headgasket, may as well do it properly and do a few other things too, so heres the list at the moment.

Headgasket (head skimmed etc)

New cambelt (Last had one 3 years / 30,000 miles ago) may as well fit one as a matter of course

New fan / PAS belts

Full service (Dizzy Cap and rotar arm especially for the benefit of LPG system)

Can anyone think of anything else we may as well replace while the engine is in bits? Anything that might as well be changed to save future hassle.

Water pump is about 18 months old so that should be ok.

and if anyone can still help with what bushes i need to order, Id like to get those done at the same time.

Cheers
James

Last edited by James_N; Mar 20th, 2009 at 12:30.
James_N is offline   Reply With Quote