Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter wheelarch mud check!

Views : 2783

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2009, 04:24   #1
ahal
Master Member

Exclamation Winter wheelarch mud check!

Hi everyone,

Recently checked the rear arches of the 440 for mud ... poked and scraped enough out to pot a plant! No wonder the damned things rust! Gave it a good spray of Waxoyle when I was finished cleaning:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Well worth doing at this time of year.

Regards,

Tony.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 18:52   #2
440anator
rookie

thanks mate, i noticed a bit of crap myself, but i never thot to get it all out like that.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 22:05   #3
AndyPants
VOC Member

I made a habit of it when I had my 460 and did it everytime I washed the car. I used to commute on a lot of country roads and in winter it would get as bad as that in the space of a month! Mainly commute on A roads now and loving having a clean car for more than 1 trip to work

Despite my cleaning my 460 still tried to rust on the rear arches - the design is utter crap and to my dissapointment my mates old mk1 S40 was the same! Treated it a couple of times with some sanding, metal paint and underseal which seemed to last for a year or two before I did it again. Still got a tiny bit of rust still where it met the rear bumper though on one side argh!
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyPants For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 22:15   #4
carl4u44
Master Member

How do you go about treating the car with waxoyle? How much do I need, how much preperation, if any, is needed, how much is it, how long will it take to cover the under body?

I'm just interested in this waxoyle!
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 23:03   #5
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl4u44 View Post
How do you go about treating the car with waxoyle? How much do I need, how much preperation, if any, is needed, how much is it, how long will it take to cover the under body?

I'm just interested in this waxoyle!
I'm no expert but I just bought an aerosol version ( about a tenner, you can buy a bigger kit obviously ) ... just washed and dried the arches and gave it a good spray. Fired a few buckets of water in, had Tea + fag while it penetrated, and then scrubbed the entire wheel well with a dish washing brush. Toothbrush handle did the arches nicely, then scraping by hand. Very important to wear thick gloves for obvious reasons!

Regarding an entire car, I guess you're looking at the doorskins and all that ... not to mention a hydraulic ramp or similar. As it has both anti - rust and protective qualities I would personally use it to keep surface rust at bay until I've time to treat it, otherwise spraying onto sound clean metal, though I'd be inclined to treat rust as and when I've got the time. I *presume* that Waxoyl in the normal run of things treats / protects microscopic rust particles.

If working on a budget / with lack of facilities, I'd recommend just cleaning + doing the major known rusting points, unless you're going in for shows or something.

Regards,

Tony
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 23:06   #6
ahal
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPants View Post

Despite my cleaning my 460 still tried to rust on the rear arches - the design is utter crap
+1

Why did they never think of putting arch liners on the BACK of the 440? When I got the car I thought they were missing, until I discovered they weren't meant to be there in the first place! At present I'm toying with the idea of making some.

Regards,

Tony.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 21:10   #7
440anator
rookie

cleaned arches on weekend, then stuck powerhose under arches an gave it a good blast must do every week as i work on buldin site fs

thanks again Tony
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 21:35   #8
ahal
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440anator View Post
cleaned arches on weekend, then stuck powerhose under arches an gave it a good blast must do every week as i work on buldin site fs

thanks again Tony
A Power hose is one thing I must get ... can't beat it for a thorough clean. Yikes, I hate building sites ... especially within 25 metres of anywhere cement work is happening! On smaller jobs I've seen dudes burst a 25 kg. bag of cement into a mixer with about 10% of it actually going in, the rest blowing all over the place. The state of my own cement mixer drum is testament to how bloody corrosive it is!

Cheers,

Tony.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 23:12   #9
440anator
rookie

Unhappy

well i would say you could borrow my power hose, but just realised your all the way down in wicklow lol yeh i agree with the cement stuff, the bloody teleported broke down on the site today an i was parked behind it, i had to mount the curb which my volvo loved an practically scraped anything that was under my car ( yes its low lol stupid springs) pure sickner when you have to drive through the mud eh
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:33   #10
Adi2727
Flying Transylvanian

About arch liners... Did anyone tried to put a pair from a V40's rear wheels?
I made some measurements, and i think that it could be fitted.
Next week i will get the arch liners and i will try to fit them.
I'll let you know if it works.
Adi2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adi2727 For This Useful Post: