Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ebay-57.000 miles

Views : 5644

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 09:56   #11
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Guys you probably know this, but all that's needed is the code off the log book which gives you access to the MoT history on the VOSA website.

As for the car being on the street...it's actually running, so he's there for the photos and the speedo looks ok as it looks like it's just rolled over to 57k - hence the digits haven't had the chance to fully align.

Rare colour, matches your saloon Tommy...but off the road for a while begs the question about costs to recommission - still, if it's in nice cosmetic condition and only needs minor mechanical attention then it's a good buy.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 10:30   #12
czech240
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
...but off the road for a while begs the question about costs to recommission - still, if it's in nice cosmetic condition and only needs minor mechanical attention then it's a good buy.

Jon.
I bought a 740GLT 16V that had been standing for 4 years....and drove it back to Czech (1500km) exhaust fell off...but otherwise after a good full service and replacing the fuel pressure regulator its been great. Currently done 20000km in the last 2 years and all good.

www.rideczech.com
czech240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to czech240 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 12:31   #13
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Rare colour, matches your saloon Tommy...but off the road for a while begs the question about costs to recommission - still, if it's in nice cosmetic condition and only needs minor mechanical attention then it's a good buy.

Jon.

About what price do you reckon? Tommy.
mrmeringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 12:58   #14
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmeringo View Post
...About what price do you reckon? Tommy.
Good question, tricky answer.

For me personally an auto would be more attractive, for others a manual is preferred; let's put that to one side...

1. If the car is really really good cosmetically (external and internal): i.e paint good, no dents (no rust of course), glass good, bright trim, dash, seats etc, etc, and everything works...then mechanically...I'd like to know how long its been unused so check MoTs.

2. It'll at least need a cambelt (I can get that done for £100), and then maybe some work on the brakes, perhaps new brake hoses, the other"drive"belts...rad flush perhaps, it all mounts up. Plus even despite the low miles it'll probably need the headlining sorting.

If it stacks up against point 1 (and needs point 2 issues sorting) then I would be prepared to pay £750* (if it were an auto that is) for it and budget to spend £250 + sorting it out for daily use.

I do detect some rise in prices of late as the pre-facelift cars appear to be more sought after now than they were a year or two ago (and it is a desirable GLE in a rare colour).

Hope this helps,

Jon.

*if I bought it for less then it would be a real bargain (although these cars are still well underrated).
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 23:29   #15
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

What a complete load of scrap and i mean SCRAP, I done a 270 mile round trip to view this and it was a complete waste of my time!! Pics on ebay were 3 years old,I wish i had taken my camera,you would not of believed the condition of the car,no way was it going back on the road without a full resto job!! And it was him who had it on car and classic,he said he had one viewing before me and the fella offered him scrap value, i told him he should of jumped at the offer as i would not of even paid him that,Anyhow he has now taken it off ebay and says he is going to call the scrap man in!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrmeringo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 17:24   #16
peter740

That's really irritating when that happens and a shame that another ones bites the dust.
peter740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter740 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 20:17   #17
baggy798
🤍💙💗

So what was wrong with it?
baggy798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 22:51   #18
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

It was Scrap,Everything was wrong with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmeringo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 00:43   #19
mrmeringo
Tommy Meringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter740 View Post
That's really irritating when that happens and a shame that another ones bites the dust.
It was really bad Peter, i only wish i had taken my camera to take pics, When i asked him why he had put pics on that were 3 years old,he just said that it was easier for him to do that,and then he says that he had already been offered scrap value for it,I told him he should of took it.It was a total disgrace,i have never seen one that bad,I told him i wouldn't of even given him scrap value,I spoke to him on the phone before i went and he assured me it was just like the pics,If any members live around the Lawford lane, Rugby area, go and see it and u wont believe yours eyes, Total waste of my money and time.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmeringo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 09:05   #20
57RKL

I had a similar experience with a 740 in Devon I was STUPID enough to put a £250 deposit on. I will never buy any car on photos and owners description again. A lot of these sellers of old cars are total dishonest chav types and a new breed of internet chancers without an ounce of integtity. The guy I bought the 740 from was bold as brass now he had my deposit in hand even though his despription was bull**** and failed to mention things like rusting leaking sunroof with soggy smelly hanging headlining and the pools of oil from the engine / gearbox / everywhere, etc etc
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 57RKL For This Useful Post: