Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF Regeneration question

Views : 385

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2015, 01:30   #1
potshot

Default DPF Regeneration question

I do quite a lot of short journeys and I do a 80 mile return run about 3 times a year. Do 14 miles a day to work and back. I plan to take the car on the odd run to keep the DPF clear. How long at say 70MPH does it take to regenerate the DPF. Do I need to be doing 70MPH for the DPF to regenerate. Seems like rubbish technology if you ask me. I have had second thoughts about buying the car because of the DPF and I think say in two years time I will get a petrol car. The new S60 1.6 petrol 150BHP or the 180BHP model.
potshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 06:55   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

I would say your 14 mile daily commute is to short for a dpf regen by the time the car has got warm ect. The car needs a good 20 mins at 50 mph minimum and over in say 5th gear. If you give it a run out once a week then you will be fine the dpfs on these give very little trouble. as long as you put the right spec engine oil in you should have no trouble but the it will need a motorway run once a week to keep it problem free

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 08:49   #3
Scooser

I did an 18 mile (9 out, 9 return) commute in London traffic in my D5 for 18 months, so you can't get much worse than that. If I remember correctly by soot filter warning light came on either once or twice, and quickly cleared after a bit of open driving.

I did nothing special over that 18 months except give the car a blast along the M4 for 20 mins once per month - I worked next to the M4 so that was easy, if you could ever find it free flowing!

A blast for me was holding it in 3rd gear at 60 mph and 3500 rpm for 20 mins to get the system lovely and hot.

So apart, from the inconvenience of a once per month blast along the motorway (it's not like you are having to do it every day/week), which most people will do anyway as part of a normal driving pattern, I had no problems with short urban commuting and my DPF.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooser For This Useful Post: