Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

reconditoning gearbox for XC60 2012 Dual Clutch

Views : 792

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2022, 23:04   #1
andrewsc

Default reconditoning gearbox for XC60 2012 Dual Clutch

I ended up with the problematic XC60 2012 Dual Clutch. Surely, just before 120,000 km the gearbox entered limp-home mode and the car has become practically unusable.

In 2018, I bought the then 5-year old XC60 T5 for $A18,500. Today, a similarly aged XC60 costs $A25k-35k. So repairing seems to be a valid option, especially that the rest of my car is in good condition. Two repairers are interested in Sydney, and they mention a cost of $A6k-7k

What is the experience with reconditioned gearboxes? Assuming the technicians install unused parts for torque converter, solenoids, etc. If the resulting gearbox lasts another 120,000 then I would be quite happy.

They intend to keep the external body of the gearbox. I guess all internal parts are affixed to the body which holds them in place. Is this body much susceptible to internal wear? Could it happen that the new parts won't fit as tight as they should into the old frame, so they start to vibrate?

Is there any danger of damaging the electronics in the vehicle? Any tuning necessary again?
andrewsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 07:03   #2
JGEM

Default Volvo XC60 pricing

I think you got a good deal in 2018 for a 5 year old XC60 for A$18,500. I do believe though that due to known transmission issues that the XC60s with the Ford origin dual clutch transmission (and Ford engines) do tend to sell at a discount to the XC60s with conventional auto transmissions. (Also, I'm guessing yours is a FWD rather than AWD which takes several thousand off the ticket price.)

I bought my XC60 as a one owner 5 year old car in Sydney in 2014 for A$29,000 with 74,000km which was at the low end of the price range at the time. (D5 AWD with the 6 speed auto). To get an equivalent 5 year old XC60 now would be in the $32 - $35k range so prices have definitely gone up, even allowing for inflation.

Articles in the press are saying that this price increase in used cars is a market wide issue due to supply / demand and supply chain issues that have restricted availability of new cars in a period of rising demand. Unable to travel due to Covid, people have diverted discretionary cash into upgrading their vehicles instead. Business is good for car dealers...

A $7K repair is maybe 30- 50% of the market value of your car so a tough call. I wonder how much to get a second hand transmission from a wrecker fitted and just selling the car? Regardless of how well the reconditioning is done, the issue as i see it is more one of how durable the design of the transmission is full stop, especially if a brand new one only lasts 120,000km. Good luck.
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 07:48   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Reconditioning auto boxes (DSG type or slush box) is a bit of a black art. Auto boxes usually need to be diagnosed whilst still in the car as they need high pressure hydraulic fluid and electronic controls to operate - manuals can be diagnose on the bench.

Hence given the cost of removing and replacing the gearbox is also significant it’s best to go for an entirely reconditioned gearbox with warranty from a reputable supplier who would also remove & refit the box.

I would also be tempted to check out a replacement gearbox from Volvo - it will cost more but in all likelihood it will be a perfect repair first time.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, clutch, durability, petrol, reconditioned