Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC40 pre purchase questions

Views : 2045

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2022, 22:24   #1
MrABC22

Default XC40 pre purchase questions

Looking at getting a XC40 either ‘19 or ‘20 reg probably. I have a few questions if I may. I want a petrol auto.

I’m finding it hard to find out the spec hierarchy, as they change a lot. Does anyone know? And what spec is of a good level to get.

Do all have CarPlay installed as some seem to say and some not, if not is it available to add by a dealer? Is it a software only option to add?

Do all still have the Volvo OnCall working, is it a subscription service and what can it/cannot do? Is it any good? It’s handy for remote unlock etc.

I’m reading the forum and web, but is there anything should look out for, they look to be reliable but obviously every car can have problems.

Ideally wanted remote tailgate but seems this isn’t common and was an extra specifically from factory. Also same as panoramic?

What can be shown on the digital dash? Is it only the factory nav options?

As you can only get the new brochure, does anyone have a PDF of the 19,20 model year available?

Thanks

Last edited by MrABC22; Oct 24th, 2022 at 22:27.
MrABC22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 23:14   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Petrol will be bad mpg unless it's a hybrid, I can't say exactly how good or bad but someone I know bought an S90 2.0 petrol and rejected it over how bad the mpg was. However you won't have a diesel choice in that year onwards iirc.

Spec, I would say any but sit in all of them first, a momentum spec or whatever it might be called now might not suit due to the seats, an R-Design could give you another seat problem if your a bit em wide. I based this thinking the seats extended on the R and Inscription specs but I'm not sure if they do now.

Hands of the Gods, a second hand one will have it if the original owner spec'd it otherwise it can be retro turned on for you at cost £200 iirc.

Yes but it's called My Volvo and yes it is worth having for the journey diary alone, it will also start and warm the car for up to 20 mins iirc on a cold day and lock & unlock the car although you have to press the boot lock before the car actually physically unlocks, it is subs but it will be valid up to the cars 4th birthday anyway.

It's a car and it's pot luck.

Not sure and the roof will be listed as the Xenium pack.

Factory Nav or the media you are playing at the time from media stick or the radio.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...s/xc40/2018w17

Adjust the year & engine/spec to suit.

Sorry you said brochure didn't you.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/v...9_brochure.pdf Start at page 50.

Last edited by SnineT; Oct 25th, 2022 at 01:16.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2022, 19:13   #3
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Might be of some use

new-volvo-xc40-my18--my19-edition-1.pdf
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 17:30   #4
exmpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrABC22 View Post
Looking at getting a XC40 either ‘19 or ‘20 reg probably. I have a few questions if I may. I want a petrol auto.

I’m finding it hard to find out the spec hierarchy, as they change a lot. Does anyone know? And what spec is of a good level to get.

Thanks
I have a 70 plate, 2020, D3 Auto AWD Momentum Pro. I bought it "off the dealer floor" shortly after the end of lockdown. I got a good deal, because having not sold much over the preceding months, the dealership was clearly anxious to generate some cash flow. In fact I subsequently learned that the car had had an intial PDI some 5 months previously at another branch but clearly not been delivered.

What was clear was that the sales team were unsure of the precise spec of individual cars. You can tell whether it has leather seats (mine has) but a lot of other options and features are much less apparent. I was a little surprised about the absence of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) but I can happily live without it. Mine has the Winter Pack; I deem that essential; and I would have liked the Intellisafe Pro pack but was unwilling to pay the extra and delay delivery. It has the Convenience Pack, but without the power folding rear seats. I don't know why, but I'm not bothered. I did get them to throw in a Rear Park Assist Camera as part of the purchase, something I find invaluable. The CarPlay bit I'll leave alone as It just doesn't concern me.

The upshot is that I find the car and spec fine for my needs. There a few things that I would like but they're not dealbreakers, although I do find the absence of
ACC a bit surprising.

I would suggest that the '70 Momentum Pro would suit most people and because they pre-date the main supply chain issues you may find a wider range of options on them that some later models.

I hope that this helps.

exmpa
exmpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 17:39   #5
MrABC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Might be of some use

Attachment 143741
That’s sort of thing yesX other times I’ve looked at other manufacturers they have a sort of check/tick to show which have and haven’t. It’s a little harder to decipher when it’s just listed as some things are duplicated over higher specs. So Volvo do the the above way from your link?
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 22:10   #6
MikeGMT
VOC Member

It can be a bit hard to decipher. Once you have chosen your engine/transmission and FWD/AWD scroll down and you will see a list of all standard features, these apply to all variants. Further down you will see the specific model features listed and then the Pro model features over and above the standard for that model.

As an example, take the R-Design. This will have all the standard features listed plus some that only apply to that model, then the R-Design Pro will have more equipment than the base R-Design, for example the Winter Pack, better lighting package etc.

There is also the option to choose different packs to tailor the vehicle to your own requirements.

Car Play is a option on all models, (except the Launch Edition, which comes with all the bells and whistles) but can be dealer fitted.

In a nutshell it can be a nightmare shopping for a used Volvo, even the dealers don't always list/know the exact spec, especially the supermarket, non franchised type. If I were in your position I would choose the model and trim level, take a good look through the spec, value pack, and options, and make a list of must haves/nice but not essentials. This way you should never get less than you want, but may get more, depending on how free the previous owner was with the options list.

Hope that makes sense and helps a little, and happy hunting.
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 13:03   #7
MrABC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
It can be a bit hard to decipher. Once you have chosen your engine/transmission and FWD/AWD scroll down and you will see a list of all standard features, these apply to all variants. Further down you will see the specific model features listed and then the Pro model features over and above the standard for that model.

As an example, take the R-Design. This will have all the standard features listed plus some that only apply to that model, then the R-Design Pro will have more equipment than the base R-Design, for example the Winter Pack, better lighting package etc.

There is also the option to choose different packs to tailor the vehicle to your own requirements.

Car Play is a option on all models, (except the Launch Edition, which comes with all the bells and whistles) but can be dealer fitted.

In a nutshell it can be a nightmare shopping for a used Volvo, even the dealers don't always list/know the exact spec, especially the supermarket, non franchised type. If I were in your position I would choose the model and trim level, take a good look through the spec, value pack, and options, and make a list of must haves/nice but not essentials. This way you should never get less than you want, but may get more, depending on how free the previous owner was with the options list.

Hope that makes sense and helps a little, and happy hunting.
I’m finding it is very difficult! As you say a lot of listing of things but then the classic *subject to change/please check…..

I’m doing exactly as you suggest trying to get my “must haves”. Always seems something missing though!

What are others must haves, or owners who have one and wished they’d got something that’s missing?
Old Oct 27th, 2022, 23:38   #8
Premier Member

We had a 2019 XC40 T3 auto until this April, when we put it in against a new one
It was an R Design, and the only options were winter pack, spare wheel and pearlescent paint.
The standard features were quite adequate for our use; I was a little surprised that it did not have adaptive cruise control or pilot assist, like my V90 has, but it wasn’t really missed. The only thing we regretted not getting was the electric tailgate, but they were an expensive option and very rarely fitted - it is standard on the new one.
On call was fitted.
It had lots of thoughtful features that my V90 does not have, I particularly liked the theatre lighting and refrigerated glovebox, which is not on the new one.
Do not believe those people who will tell you that the fuel consumption is poor: it will consistently give well over 40 mpg, calculated from fill ups and, given the cheaper price of petrol, it is quite a bit cheaper to run the the admittedly bigger diesel V90.
They are really good cars and if we had had the slightest doubt about them, we would not have ended up buying two!
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 60041 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 06:40   #9
MrABC22

Yes I really would like the electric tailgate but as you say it’s hard to find. Probably as you mention was expensive add on from factory originally. So looks like I’m going to lose out on that as will probably be a ‘20 at best.

Is adaptive cruise not on any? Was it an option also, how can you tell if has it, again it’s so hard to determine. Again something I would like to have if possible.

Think I’m going to want the winter pack. However getting this kits seems to add heated windscreen and seats, not steering wheel which seems common on other makes? Is there a way to see if it’s a heated windscreen button/option from pics as well, compared to just a shortcut button to get max blast to windscreen?

Thanks
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 10:29   #10
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrABC22 View Post
Yes I really would like the electric tailgate but as you say it’s hard to find. Probably as you mention was expensive add on from factory originally. So looks like I’m going to lose out on that as will probably be a ‘20 at best.

Is adaptive cruise not on any? Was it an option also, how can you tell if has it, again it’s so hard to determine. Again something I would like to have if possible.

Think I’m going to want the winter pack. However getting this kits seems to add heated windscreen and seats, not steering wheel which seems common on other makes? Is there a way to see if it’s a heated windscreen button/option from pics as well, compared to just a shortcut button to get max blast to windscreen?

Thanks

One thing you do want is ACC as it's fantastic.

One thing you don't want is the electric tailgate and if the strut fails outside of warranty you'll know why I said this.

Seats are great, wheel not so much so, it works great but I never used mine and when I tested it it didn't add much to the party, kinda felt odd tbh.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto, brochure, carplay, petrol, spec