Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 s40 f/w/bearing help

Views : 667

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2012, 20:10   #1
52s40mark

Default 2002 s40 f/w/bearing help

Hi,need some advice please. I have 2002 52 s40 1.8se .At around 40mph i am getting a whiring noise that appears to be comming from both front wheels,Tried going round roundabouts as fast as poss but noise stays the same ,almost dissapears at 50mph and above.Ive found a seller on ebay ,(huddersfield volvo breakers) that has front hubs with bearings,not the complete hub assembly.Only £20 each.They tell me its an easy job ,no problem. Can anyone give me any advice on fitting,Do i still have too remove complete hub carrier.or can the hub be removed from end of drive shaft whilst hub ass still fitted to wishbone,tie rods etc many thanks for any help.The car has only done 87k genuine with a fsh.
52s40mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 20:13   #2
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

Try swapping your wheels around, see if the noise moves to the back, tyre noise is an issue on these cars.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlo 1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 20:27   #3
52s40mark

been meaning too try this for weeks, will put over bus pit at work thursday and use the jacks to lift front and then run it up to 40mph and see if noise is still there. Previouse elderly owner had two sunny tyres fitted as mot advisry.Still good tread but think they are cheap chinease jobs,will swap round aswell cheers.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 20:33   #4
52s40mark

still need advice on the bearing swap as in first part of my thread thanks.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 08:25   #5
markgsv40

I have changed the bearings on my V40, its one of those jobs that can go easy or if the bearing is stuck in the hub can be hard. For the home mechanic, using the haynes spanner method of dif***ulty rating, i would say its a 3 spanner job.
As far as i can remember, if you are methodical, in taking the hub off, its easy. i had to use a hydraulic press to get the bearing out/in, that was the hard bit. you may get lucky and do it with a vice and sockets or brute force!!
i am not good at doing guides, but one piece of advice i will give you is, as you will have disconnected the lower wishbone from the hub to get it off, when reassembled get your car tracked as you may knock your settings out.
The Following User Says Thank You to markgsv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 08:33   #6
52s40mark

Thanks for advice, Just to let every body know, Once again it was tyres.For weeks ive been meaning too swap front to back. Swapped wheels yesterday,Went for a drive and noise gone from front too the rear ,although not as audible. Even though not done many miles on these cheap sunny tyres.Iwill be replacing in due course... cheers again.