Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing a RHD wiper motor

Views : 567

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2019, 13:05   #1
Guardoff

Default Replacing a RHD wiper motor

Right. Before the memory fades. I am still in a state of gobsmackedness that this old guy with his failing eyesight has actually pulled it off.

Let's assume you already know that the RHD wiper motor for a 240 is a mirror image of the LHD unit, and the RHD unit is these days entirely unobtainable, except perhaps in Thailand. What to do?

First, go to Dai at Classic Swede and buy a LHD motor for £110.00 including shipping to France (where I live). Then get ready to cannibalise. Dai will tell you it's most likely the motor at fault, not the worm-drive transmission. In my case actually, the problem was one permanent magnet come unstuck from the wall of the motor casing. If I had known that in advance, I could have probably fixed it with Araldite. Or just swopped in the motor casing from the LHD unit and touched nothing else. But I was too far into wrecking the old motor before I saw the light. Went to bed last night assuming that this otherwise excellent 30 year old car was a goner – on account of the wiper motor! – and did not sleep well. At breakfast, gave myself a talking-to and went out to the shed to try again. Used old motor casing (no choice). New motor armature. Old plastic ring that mounts the brushes etc (again no choice). New driving axle with its new/different system of cams on the plastic worm-driven cog. And bless my soul, it works! The unit as a whole, old or new, is a piece of **** to work on, with not enough space inside for its wires. The mirror-imaging of LHD to RHD means the standard wires are stretched perilously tight. Someone more electrics-savvy than me would add length. I am presently waiting for a man who knows a bit more than me to come and reconnect the wiper armature, and hope that this will eliminate a certain clickety-click that I am presently hearing from the motor. And that, so far, is the story. Thank you for listening.

Cheers
Mark
Guardoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guardoff For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 08:26   #2
volvo_saint

yes supply of RHD Wiper motors is a headache - luckily I have managed to purchase additional 2 motors over the years.

Same goes for the rear wiper motor of the 240 Estate - they are becoming rare....

Good to know that you can transfer the parts from the LHD motor to RHD.

Thank you for this information and novel solution.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 13:05   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

May I ask for absolute clarification please. Are wiper motors for right hand drive 240s not available?

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 23:41   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
May I ask for absolute clarification please. Are wiper motors for right hand drive 240s not available?

For 82 onwards models they are not available for RHD.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: