Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06> / C30 '07-'12 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S40 / V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06> / C30 '07-'12 General Forum for the S40 / V50 '04> / C70 '06> /C30 '07> models.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2010 extremely slow!

Views : 262

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 15:42   #1
Mrjackyoung
New Member
 

Last Online: Jun 25th, 2019 12:02
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: London
Default V50 2010 extremely slow!

Bought my Volvo v50 back in July 2016 with 37000 miles first few months had no problems other than a leaky sun roof. After that the car would go into reduced power mode so we took it too our local garage who suggested that the dpf should be changed, so we had him change it but after a few days he informed me he could not remove the dpf so he used some industrial dpf cleaner instead and said it should do the job and also informed me he believes there is a problem with my turbo. We carried on using the car for a few more months with no more issues until the car again started driving horridly slow with NO TURBO I was advised by some people on the forum to take the car to a independent Volvo garage so I sourced one in my local area. I told him of the problems I am having & he said he would do his best to fix the problems. He rang me over the next few weeks with minor fixes that he would like to perform with my permission including a new fan belt. He changed the dpf along with a number of other things which cost 」950 but the car still had no turbo! He believed the issue was with the cars ecu unit and said he could get me a new one with a estimate of 」1000. I took the ecu to a testing center and they informed me that the ecu has no problems so now I have no idea what is causing my car to drive so slow. I later checked the turbo myself and found that the garage had shoved a load of paper inside of the air intake and the turbo had leaked oil into the air pipes but I still have no idea what todo with the car as I have no confidence with garages due to the bad experiences and I知 not mechanically Savvy that I can Diagnose the problem myself, as for now the car is at 43000 miles and it seems like it痴 getting slower & slower the more we use it. The acceleration is especially horrible! I知 very open to suggestions as I知 having thoughts of just scraping the car the save myself the headache
Mrjackyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 13:04   #2
Foxbat
New Member
 
Foxbat's Avatar
 

Last Online: Jun 24th, 2019 13:24
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cranbrook
Default

Scrap it or sell it. Not sure what engine you have, mine is a 1.6d and it has been nothing but trouble over the last 12 months. The dealer is sick of seeing me. They fix one thing then, something else goes wrong. The cars party trick is cutting out, at speed or when pulling out of junctions. Also, I swear it likes to engage the throttle without me touching the gas pedal. I have lost confidence in this car and refuse to spend a penny more on it, so it's going and would advise you do the same as these cars are unreliable and unfixable.
Foxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 13:07   #3
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:49
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjackyoung View Post
Bought my Volvo v50 back in July 2016 with 37000 miles first few months had no problems other than a leaky sun roof. After that the car would go into reduced power mode so we took it too our local garage who suggested that the dpf should be changed, so we had him change it but after a few days he informed me he could not remove the dpf so he used some industrial dpf cleaner instead and said it should do the job and also informed me he believes there is a problem with my turbo. We carried on using the car for a few more months with no more issues until the car again started driving horridly slow with NO TURBO I was advised by some people on the forum to take the car to a independent Volvo garage so I sourced one in my local area. I told him of the problems I am having & he said he would do his best to fix the problems. He rang me over the next few weeks with minor fixes that he would like to perform with my permission including a new fan belt. He changed the dpf along with a number of other things which cost 」950 but the car still had no turbo! He believed the issue was with the cars ecu unit and said he could get me a new one with a estimate of 」1000. I took the ecu to a testing center and they informed me that the ecu has no problems so now I have no idea what is causing my car to drive so slow. I later checked the turbo myself and found that the garage had shoved a load of paper inside of the air intake and the turbo had leaked oil into the air pipes but I still have no idea what todo with the car as I have no confidence with garages due to the bad experiences and I知 not mechanically Savvy that I can Diagnose the problem myself, as for now the car is at 43000 miles and it seems like it痴 getting slower & slower the more we use it. The acceleration is especially horrible! I知 very open to suggestions as I知 having thoughts of just scraping the car the save myself the headache
I think you have bought someone else's problem , and you have been dealing with cowboys , just get it to a volvo dealer who knows what he is doing , it would have been cheaper in the long run .... Then you will be able to enjoy the car properly ..
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:00   #4
Mrjackyoung
New Member
 

Last Online: Jun 25th, 2019 12:02
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: London
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Scrap it or sell it. Not sure what engine you have, mine is a 1.6d and it has been nothing but trouble over the last 12 months. The dealer is sick of seeing me. They fix one thing then, something else goes wrong. The cars party trick is cutting out, at speed or when pulling out of junctions. Also, I swear it likes to engage the throttle without me touching the gas pedal. I have lost confidence in this car and refuse to spend a penny more on it, so it's going and would advise you do the same as these cars are unreliable and unfixable.
Mine is also a 1.6d! It痴 drive able got zero! Dash lights but it痴 just dose not wanna boost
Mrjackyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:02   #5
Mrjackyoung
New Member
 

Last Online: Jun 25th, 2019 12:02
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: London
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I think you have bought someone else's problem , and you have been dealing with cowboys , just get it to a volvo dealer who knows what he is doing , it would have been cheaper in the long run .... Then you will be able to enjoy the car properly ..
I知 trying to find a decent Volvo mechanic at the moment keep looking on google there either stupidly expensive or are cowboys can you recommend any near london ?
Cheers
Mrjackyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:04   #6
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 14:49
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjackyoung View Post
I知 trying to find a decent Volvo mechanic at the moment keep looking on google there either stupidly expensive or are cowboys can you recommend any near london ?
Cheers
I'm afraid cars are expensive what ever they are , You get what you pay for ...
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 19:00   #7
FracturedButWhole
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Today 11:36
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Carshalton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjackyoung View Post
I知 trying to find a decent Volvo mechanic at the moment keep looking on google there either stupidly expensive or are cowboys can you recommend any near london ?
Cheers
Hi there, not sure where "near London" you would like it to be, but I can recommend GB Autos in Worcester Park. Volvo specialists, did my MOT there twice, got some parts replaced at very reasonable price and they're honest, no bs people.
Hope this helps.
FracturedButWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 13:11   #8
jimbo1593
Senior Member
 

Last Online: Jul 9th, 2019 17:37
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: leics
Default

at the very least get it to someone who can do proper volvo diagnostics.
you'll end up throwing good money after bad with non-specialist mechanics guessing at the problem.

It would worry me if a mechanic can't remove the dpf, it really isn't the most difficult job.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
r design, turbo, v50 1.6d


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:04.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.